ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #1
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Help with StopTech BBK

I want to get a StopTech BBK for my M Coupe but have a couple of issues. First, one of the dealers is saying on their ordering site that the 355mm kit with ST-40 calipers (recommended for this model) does NOT fit OEM 18" wheels. Is that right? Do the ST-60's fit? I've used their template and it looks to me like they will clear as long as there are no wheel weights placed in line with the calipers. I'm willing to go with either one but I'm not willing to get new wheels to accommodate this upgrade.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I have st60 front & st40 rear.
I have never tried them with an OE wheel but can do a test fit for you on the weekend if someone else doesn't chime in..
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhughett View Post
I want to get a StopTech BBK for my M Coupe but have a couple of issues. First, one of the dealers is saying on their ordering site that the 355mm kit with ST-40 calipers (recommended for this model) does NOT fit OEM 18" wheels. Is that right? Do the ST-60's fit? I've used their template and it looks to me like they will clear as long as there are no wheel weights placed in line with the calipers. I'm willing to go with either one but I'm not willing to get new wheels to accommodate this upgrade.

Thanks in advance for your help.
The dealer is likely being conservative, although I can see how a 355mm rotor in conjunction with a fixed caliper may be a "tight" fit. If you look at the factory 345mm disc and caliper set-up, there's no more than 1/4" of clearance between the caliper and the wheel barrel. Going strictly by that measurement, a 10mm increase in rotor size will likely result in the caliper rubbing the wheel weight or worse.

However, the profile on a fixed caliper is different than a sliding caliper, there's more "hardware" radially on a sliding caliper while there's more hardware axially on a fixed caliper, so a 355mm with fixed caliper may still fit if the profile of the fixed caliper does not interfere with the spokes of the wheel. On my E46 I had BBS RGRs and those would require a 8-12mm spacer just to clear the UUC big brake kit using Wilwood calipers, and the Wilwood is on the smaller side. And the stock wheel did not clear without a 5mm spacer. I would think that, due to the high negative offset of BMW wheels, that spoke interference is definitely an issue without spacers. If the front wheel/spoke design comes with a 38mm offset it probably would clear the 355mm fixed piston kit.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 09:23 PM   #4
mhughett
Captain
Rep

After further review with the templates on the front wheels (I used back wheels yesterday), they will not clear the factory 18" wheels without spacers. To me it looks like I probably need 12mm spacers to get enough clearance for the calipers. Anyone see any problems with this?

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 11:44 PM   #5
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

If it helps, Paintpro said that I need 5mm spacers with his 18 x 9.5 eta 35 front arc 8's to clear my stoptech's. Have not installed yet, otherwise I could give you more info.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
After further review with the templates on the front wheels (I used back wheels yesterday), they will not clear the factory 18" wheels without spacers. To me it looks like I probably need 12mm spacers to get enough clearance for the calipers. Anyone see any problems with this?
The front end of the MZ4 Coupe is very sensitive to changes in offset via spacers. Especially at the 12mm range, MAKE SURE that your spacer has a proper hub extender to make sure the wheel mounts hub centric otherwise you'll have front end vibration to no end. Don't get spacers that has the hub extrusion machined in or built into the lip, since there really isn't enough material there (I've seen quite a few failures where the lip simply sheared off). 12mm is right at the edge of where a lip built into the spacer does not have enough material. I'd go 15mm if you can't get a hub extender to fit, and bolt the 15mm to the wheel hub and then bolt the wheels to the spacers.

Regardless, it would NOT be my choice to move the wheel out 15mm, since it can potentially have a very negative effect on the scrub radius. However, if this is strictly for appearance sake, knock yourself out.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #7
mhughett
Captain
Rep

Wow, I'm getting depressed by these clearance issues. Is there anyone on the board who has a BBK using stock 18" wheels and if so, what did you have to do to get them to fit?

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #8
seank
enthusiast
Rep

If breaking faster is an issue, have you tried different pads with the stock set-up? Why do you need a bbk, but still have stock wheels?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 10:16 PM   #9
mhughett
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seank View Post
If breaking faster is an issue, have you tried different pads with the stock set-up? Why do you need a bbk, but still have stock wheels?
This car has had problems with rotor runout (vibrations), with the original owner as well as me, even when there has been no track time. It has probably had 7 sets of front rotors during the 4-year warranty period. I have bedded the new brakes (per Zeckhausen instructions) and it still has done it. The dealer has tried to find the cause but says that all brake components are working properly. However, each time they drove the car and measured the runout and agreed that the rotors should be replaced. During the 4 years of warranty coverage, they were unable to determine the cause. All 7 sets of rotors were paid for by BMW. However, the car is now out of warranty and I thought a BBK might fix the problem once and for all. I've posted this problem on this board and it seems no one else has had similar problems.

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 10:35 PM   #10
seank
enthusiast
Rep

Wierd.

Heard clearly.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 02:30 AM   #11
ga41
Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
I have the ST-60 front and ST-40 rear kit with the 355x32 rotors on OEM Z4M wheels. They would not fit without spacers as the callipers were making contact with the wheel spokes. My shop tried them with a 12mm spacer set they had there and they were able to install them.

The rears could be installed without spacers but i wanted the same extra offset all around so I bought 4 12.5mm Turner Motorsport spacers and it now fits just fine. No rub either.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-12...cers-pair.aspx

05-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #12
mhughett
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga41 View Post
I have the ST-60 front and ST-40 rear kit with the 355x32 rotors on OEM Z4M wheels. They would not fit without spacers as the callipers were making contact with the wheel spokes. My shop tried them with a 12mm spacer set they had there and they were able to install them.

The rears could be installed without spacers but i wanted the same extra offset all around so I bought 4 12.5mm Turner Motorsport spacers and it now fits just fine. No rub either.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-12...cers-pair.aspx

Thanks for your input ga41, this is exactly what I was looking for. I was also thinking that 12mm spacers might be what I needed to make it work. My only concern with using spacers was whether they would cause any vibration or handling issues, similar to those noted by the Hack. Have you noticed any such issues?

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 11:46 PM   #13
ga41
Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
No vibrations or other issues and i've already tracked the car once.

One more thing though... I might have been too quick to say it doesn't rub.. I just noticed these so it might rub in the front afterall...

05-11-2012, 05:56 AM   #14
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Yeah, we all get rub in that circled area.
It's an easy fix with a heat gun though.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 06:22 AM   #15
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Quote:

This car has had problems with rotor runout (vibrations), with the original owner as well as me, even when there has been no track time. It has probably had 7 sets of front rotors during the 4-year warranty period. I have bedded the new brakes (per Zeckhausen instructions) and it still has done it. The dealer has tried to find the cause but says that all brake components are working properly. However, each time they drove the car and measured the runout and agreed that the rotors should be replaced. During the 4 years of warranty coverage, they were unable to determine the cause. All 7 sets of rotors were paid for by BMW. However, the car is now out of warranty and I thought a BBK might fix the problem once and for all. I've posted this problem on this board and it seems no one else has had similar problems.
I hate to say it but I'm not sure how a BBK is going to solve this issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #16
mhughett
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
I hate to say it but I'm not sure how a BBK is going to solve this issue.
I understand and I don't disagree with you. But the way I look at it, if I can fix this issue, I'll probably keep and enjoy the car for several more years. If I sold or traded the car, I'd probably spend double or triple what I could sell this car for and still might not like it as much. Since the "experts" can't seem to find anything specifically wrong with my brake system I thought might be a good way to both fix problem and make a nice upgrade at the same time. Sure, there is a risk that it may not work and if that happens, you'll be seeing a barely used BBK in the classifieds. In the meantime, I'm running out of other ideas.

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 01:50 PM   #17
The HACK
Rep

Quote:

There are fundamental issues at work there that the BBK WILL NOT SOLVE in my opinion. You need to take the car to an independent mechanic that is intimately familiar with BMWs or try a different dealership. What you described, does not sound right. The factory rotors are STOUT.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 03:32 PM   #18
mhughett
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
There are fundamental issues at work there that the BBK WILL NOT SOLVE in my opinion. You need to take the car to an independent mechanic that is intimately familiar with BMWs or try a different dealership. What you described, does not sound right. The factory rotors are STOUT.
We're on the same page. Even before I saw your post, I called a local independent that I've used many times that is a member of BIMRS to discuss the problem. They are going to probably look at the car at the end of next week.

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #19
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
We're on the same page. Even before I saw your post, I called a local independent that I've used many times that is a member of BIMRS to discuss the problem. They are going to probably look at the car at the end of next week.
Appreciate 0