ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
just2talented
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alpine ///M roadster

Rogue Engineering Service

I tried searching for a previous thread on this but couldnt find anything. I see that RE offers service and it seems like they somewhat specialize in our E85/e86s. I say that because the picture of the shop they put up has two of them in there. Anyways i had some kind of malfunction with my car the other day. While at a stop sign my roadsters revs started to bounce around slightly, CEL went on and a big loss of power. I immediatley pulled over thinking possible vanos failure again. I checked the oil which has only 2k on it, levels and all were good. I waited about ten minutes or so and turned the car back on to find a now my engine has a loud clicking noise to it. It sounded as if it was running on five cylinders so i thought possibly a spark plug or a bad coil pack. Since i still have CPO warranty i had the car towed to bmw. Its been there for 2 days and this morning i get a phone call from bmw stating that the CEL didnt store a code, the car was test driven by the shop foreman and the service advisor and they cant find anything. They also claimed they sent all the data to BMWNA so they can be guided by what they say. Basically the car is fine. However since ive had a little bit of a rough history with this car im starting to get a little fed up with these problems. I was just in montreal a few weeks ago, if i had a problem up there what would i have done, i live 500 miles away. My car is an 06M roadster with 33k miles on it. I was never given any kind of timeline of service intervals or anything when i bought it. I have no idea if inspection 1 or 2 was done. I bought the car with 8k miles on it. I know vanos needs to be serviced at some point, no idea when on that. The real point to this thread was to see if anybody on this forum has gone to rogue for service and what their experience was. I was quoted a valve adjustment at $495 plus shims. I dont know if thats good or not. From seeing the RE website it seems like theyre very professional and know what theyre talking about. I also spoke to Dave from RE on the phone who was also very knowledgable and professional. My plan is to have RE check my entire car for any sort of problem and if need be have the valve adjustment done. Hopefully somebody on here can help me out with their experiences at RE.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by just2talented View Post
I tried searching for a previous thread on this but couldnt find anything. I see that RE offers service and it seems like they somewhat specialize in our E85/e86s. I say that because the picture of the shop they put up has two of them in there. Anyways i had some kind of malfunction with my car the other day. While at a stop sign my roadsters revs started to bounce around slightly, CEL went on and a big loss of power. I immediatley pulled over thinking possible vanos failure again. I checked the oil which has only 2k on it, levels and all were good. I waited about ten minutes or so and turned the car back on to find a now my engine has a loud clicking noise to it. It sounded as if it was running on five cylinders so i thought possibly a spark plug or a bad coil pack. Since i still have CPO warranty i had the car towed to bmw. Its been there for 2 days and this morning i get a phone call from bmw stating that the CEL didnt store a code, the car was test driven by the shop foreman and the service advisor and they cant find anything. They also claimed they sent all the data to BMWNA so they can be guided by what they say. Basically the car is fine. However since ive had a little bit of a rough history with this car im starting to get a little fed up with these problems. I was just in montreal a few weeks ago, if i had a problem up there what would i have done, i live 500 miles away. My car is an 06M roadster with 33k miles on it. I was never given any kind of timeline of service intervals or anything when i bought it. I have no idea if inspection 1 or 2 was done. I bought the car with 8k miles on it. I know vanos needs to be serviced at some point, no idea when on that. The real point to this thread was to see if anybody on this forum has gone to rogue for service and what their experience was. I was quoted a valve adjustment at $495 plus shims. I dont know if thats good or not. From seeing the RE website it seems like theyre very professional and know what theyre talking about. I also spoke to Dave from RE on the phone who was also very knowledgable and professional. My plan is to have RE check my entire car for any sort of problem and if need be have the valve adjustment done. Hopefully somebody on here can help me out with their experiences at RE.
Those 2 cars are Adam's and his brothers, both members here. I've been to RE to mainly pick up parts and got minor service done there. They definitely do great work but if you're in Queens, I highly suggest hit up Leo at Motorcepts, also in Queens. Very knowledgeable and he offers competitive rates on labor. Let him know Dan with the Z4 referred you. I sent Barney over there and he had a laundry list of maintenance, mods, and general issues and they were all taken care of by Leo.

347-644-5363
126-10 89th Ave
Richmond Hill, NY 11418.
      05-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #3
just2talented
Private First Class
Rep

lol i know leo is good, barney and i are friends and he told me the same thing. i just wanted to see if people were raving about RE. Ive actually been to Mcepts a few times. Its not that i dont like them, i just saw that specifically offered on REs site is Inspection 1 and 2. i didnt know if leo did that.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by just2talented View Post
lol i know leo is good, barney and i are friends and he told me the same thing. i just wanted to see if people were raving about RE. Ive actually been to Mcepts a few times. Its not that i dont like them, i just saw that specifically offered on REs site is Inspection 1 and 2. i didnt know if leo did that.
Leo can definitely handle inspection 1 and 2. It still considered part of the regular maintenance. If you want other tri-state shops that do quality work (in addition to RE), I'd try Northeast Motorsports and AutoCouture both in Northern NJ.
      05-03-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 S54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
Those 2 cars are Adam's and his brothers, both members here. I've been to RE to mainly pick up parts and got minor service done there. They definitely do great work but if you're in Queens, I highly suggest hit up Leo at Motorcepts, also in Queens. Very knowledgeable and he offers competitive rates on labor. Let him know Dan with the Z4 referred you. I sent Barney over there and he had a laundry list of maintenance, mods, and general issues and they were all taken care of by Leo.

347-644-5363
126-10 89th Ave
Richmond Hill, NY 11418.
Correct, the cars on RE web page are my borthers and I's. I can attest to RE's work as their attention to detail is second to none. If I am not doing the work on my car myself, which is rare, my car goes to Rogue! I trust Ben with my car so much that I leave it there all time when he needs it for devolpement work. They also just hired a new tech who is fully BMW STEP certified. Once you deal with Rogue I can be sure you will become part of the Rogue family!

Feel free to PM for anymore info.

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #6
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 S54

Evidence of Rogue's attention to detail... I do not know of a shop that would take the time to document a valve adjustment like this!

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 09:10 PM   #7
gtMc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 MC

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
I didn't know RE did this degree of work for the public... thought it was kinda one of those 'friends and family' type situations where they might do work if they have the time.... but they were very helpful when dealing with parts. Have to keep service in mind now too.

OP - these guys speak the truth about RE and about NE Motorsports. (I personally haven't tried the others mentioned yet). Mike is the owner at NE Motorsports, Nicole is at the desk. Mike did a once over on mine and found a missing rear sway bar mounting bracket that the dealership missed on 2 different occasions. Its great peace of mind to have that done.

You really shouldnt be worried about reliability with your car and those miles.

If you were at Eurofest on Sunday, RE was there.
      05-03-2012, 09:12 PM   #8
gtMc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 MC

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
can anyone comment on the $495+shims quote for valve adjustment that OP mentioned? I thought this was more like an $800-$1000 job... which makes that quote very reasonable, especially if you have the peace of mind and a sheet like the one above that you KNOW it was done right!
      05-04-2012, 12:39 AM   #9
just2talented
Private First Class
Rep

I appreciate all the input. I think ill give rogue a try and ill let them install the RE motor mounts while im there whilst a full once over on my car. Can anybody give any input on what happend to my car that day? Like i said before neither i or bmw have any ideas on what happend to it but apparently its ok now.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #10
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Sounds like a coil to me, but could have been a number of things I suppose.

You mentioned not knowing the service schedule. The car will give you this info when you start it up (ie oil service in X,XXX miles, or Inspec I in x,xxx miles) go by this and you should be ok. Your inspection I should have been around 20-25K.

I started using an indy here in Atlanta and have been very pleased so far.
Appreciate 0