ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-26-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
2Tonic
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4MC (Sold)

Bent Front!

Pothole on Harlem bent my driver's front enough to cause a vibration at 75 - 80 MPH.
Any suggestions re: Should I have it fixed? Should I buy new from dealer? New from online???
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Front what? More information is required to help here.

First, how do you know something is actually bent? Is it visible? If you can see it, which parts are bent? (Pics?) Do you know which parts are involved?

Even a small amount out of spec on some components (that would not be immediatelly visible) could have occured if you hit an object at a high enough rate of speed. Then again, the alignment might be off or you might have bent a rim (with no suspension damage). Both of those could cause what you're feeling too.

If you're not sure which parts were bent, perhaps an alignment and check of the wheels would be a first step. See if a good indie shop can get things back to spec. If not, they'll probably be able to tell you what's damaged.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 02:39 PM   #3
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

most likely a bent wheel. if its a minor bend, a good re-balance will help. if not, a rim repair shop should charge about $150 to fix. dealer won't touch it (thats what she said)
      08-27-2011, 07:57 AM   #4
2Tonic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Front what? More information is required to help here.

First, how do you know something is actually bent? Is it visible? If you can see it, which parts are bent? (Pics?) Do you know which parts are involved?

Even a small amount out of spec on some components (that would not be immediatelly visible) could have occured if you hit an object at a high enough rate of speed. Then again, the alignment might be off or you might have bent a rim (with no suspension damage). Both of those could cause what you're feeling too.

If you're not sure which parts were bent, perhaps an alignment and check of the wheels would be a first step. See if a good indie shop can get things back to spec. If not, they'll probably be able to tell you what's damaged.
Mea culpa! Front driver's wheel is slightly bent. I had the four wheels balanced last week and was told that the front left required 9 (grams?) of weight, which apparently is a lot of weight, but they could not guarantee that it would balance. The tech also told me he could see it wobble while in the balancer.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 01:27 PM   #5
2Tonic
United_States
Rep

FYI: My Expensive Solution...

I bought a new wheel from Elmhurst BMW. $430, including taxes.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 11:44 AM   #6
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

Ouch. Wish I saw this earlier. Elmhurst BMW is the worst place to buy parts. They routinely mark up from MSRP. Patrick and Laurel are both cheaper if you need something locally. Otherwise, keep getbmwparts.com bookmarked for future purchases. You usually get 20% off MSRP.

Best bet on wheels is to look on the forums (I sold a set of 4 nearly new Z4M wheels for like $650), but to be fair, it's probably hard to pick up individual pieces.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 01:40 AM   #7
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tonic View Post
I bought a new wheel from Elmhurst BMW. $430, including taxes.
Write the city and request reimbursement. I can't remember what department, but they covered some roadwork damage I got about 3 years ago to the tune of $800. They also paid me $450 for a bent suspension part on my old Porsche 911SC 10 years ago. It seems like they've pretty much decided it's cheaper to pay people off than take good care of the roads, if the person goes to the trouble of squawking.
Appreciate 0