ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-30-2011, 11:51 PM   #1
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
finally ...........

Well I finally got my car yesterday, 2007 Z4MR, silver grey with brushed aluminum trim. I am mostly happy, but there are a few issues. The aluminum trim around the center console is scratched and has small dents/pits in it. How the hell does a someone bang up something as tough as this? Did they wear jewelry/bling on their wrist and as they shifted constantly bang the damn thing? I am sure I am going to eventually have to replace it as it bugs me (dealer that sold the car to my dealer said the car was "mint", this ain't "mint" in my opinion). Additionally, the ashtray cover is scratched and it's very visible. That will be replaced right away. Other than that though, it is in great shape. There are only a few minor spots on the nose, and I am driving to Charlotte this Saturday to have a clear bra put on by an expert that previously did my 370. Now that I am officially an owner hopefully I can participate and contribute a little to the site I have already learned a lot from you guys just lurking and reading over the last 6 weeks. Thanks!

John
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 12:14 AM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Congratulations! Got mine a liitle over two weeks ago--awesome isn't it?

Mine has brushed aluminum as well and a small number of pits and scratches too. Like you said, how the hell does someone do that? Not really bad--but still.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 12:55 AM   #3
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Congratulations! Got mine a liitle over two weeks ago--awesome isn't it?

Mine has brushed aluminum as well and a small number of pits and scratches too. Like you said, how the hell does someone do that? Not really bad--but still.
Yea, I would bet you're like me and very meticulous about your car. I can't imagine scratching and nicking up something like that to the point there are multiple spots all over the trim piece. It's a great car though, and this is fixable if it bothers me too much

Last edited by antennahead; 03-31-2011 at 06:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 04:38 AM   #4
Sheck44
Livin' every day
Rep
Drives: 06 IR Z4M Roadster

yup same here

Guys, I went through this exact situation as well. My car is perfect with the exception of the pitted aluminum.
Its the last thing I'm considering changing with carbon wrap or having it painted. Have'nt decided yet.

Cheers
Steve
      03-31-2011, 05:03 AM   #5
crfine88
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86M

Congrats, looking forward to some pics

Me too on the aluminum, seems to be a common issue.
      03-31-2011, 06:00 AM   #6
bhoch
SSGT USMC - '78 - '86
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4  [7.33]
Seems that the aluminum is not as strong as it should be. I have same issues. I am thinking about carbon wrap or also painting.

I can't decide if I like the carbon wrap enough to add so I will probably figure out how to paint it (piano black) and get that done, although the leather dashes that have been posted on a few threads really got me interested in doing that instead, then getting black pieces for the wheel (as well as an "M" wheel.

2007 3.0si Roadster Black/Red, sport, Piano Black F14 Forgestar's
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 06:36 AM   #7
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoch View Post
Seems that the aluminum is not as strong as it should be. I have same issues. I am thinking about carbon wrap or also painting.

I can't decide if I like the carbon wrap enough to add so I will probably figure out how to paint it (piano black) and get that done, although the leather dashes that have been posted on a few threads really got me interested in doing that instead, then getting black pieces for the wheel (as well as an "M" wheel.

Me too on the aluminum trim around the shifter!

My fondest wish would be to find the original owner and give the dope a smack in the back of the head (inspired by Mark Harmon on NCIS). Some people are just careless, I guess.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 07:01 AM   #8
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Me too on the aluminum trim around the shifter!

My fondest wish would be to find the original owner and give the dope a smack in the back of the head (inspired by Mark Harmon on NCIS). Some people are just careless, I guess.
LOL, wow, interesting how widespread this is. I totally agree, would love to smack my previous owner as well, especially when I found out in order to replace it you have to remove the "pain in the a** to remove" back cubby so you can get the center console up
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 08:23 AM   #9
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Congrats on the purchase. I'm surprised so many of you have damage to the Aluminum trim.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 08:28 AM   #10
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
same prob on alum trim, i may just get it wrapped in cf eventually...
      03-31-2011, 09:10 AM   #11
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

Heh, I'll add myself to the list of Scratched/Pitted Aluminum trim victims. Culprit is most likely jewelry or watch on the right hand.

In my case, it's only on the passenger side on the dash, so I'm guessing it's a careless friend/girlfriend/wife/kid. I was really bent on fixing it at first, but as time passes I've noticed it less and less. I'm probably one of the few people who actually like the look of the aluminum trim in a black interior, so I doubt I'll ever replace it with anything else.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 09:14 AM   #12
tekmoe
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

Mine also has small pits in the aluminum. Not bad, barely noticeable. Bothered me at first but now I don't even notice it. Just DRIVE!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 09:14 AM   #13
Neegra
Private
Rep
Drives: TiAg/Imola MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
Well I finally got my car yesterday, 2007 Z4MR, silver grey with brushed aluminum trim. I am mostly happy, but there are a few issues. The aluminum trim around the center console is scratched and has small dents/pits in it. How the hell does a someone bang up something as tough as this? Did they wear jewelry/bling on their wrist and as they shifted constantly bang the damn thing? I am sure I am going to eventually have to replace it as it bugs me (dealer that sold the car to my dealer said the car was "mint", this ain't "mint" in my opinion). Additionally, the ashtray cover is scratched and it's very visible. That will be replaced right away. Other than that though, it is in great shape. There are only a few minor spots on the nose, and I am driving to Charlotte this Saturday to have a clear bra put on by an expert that previously did my 370. Now that I am officially an owner hopefully I can participate and contribute a little to the site I have already learned a lot from you guys just lurking and reading over the last 6 weeks. Thanks!

John
Congrats on the ownership I dislike when people fail to mention defects as well. Maybe they're not as detail oriented as some of us are, but I believe it was probably seen and conveniently omitted. At least it isn't 'too big' of an issue...cosmetic, and not body related. I think almost everyone probably has an imperfection or two that they are annoyed by...unless they are the original owners.

I also have aluminum, but I haven't noticed crazy pitting as mentioned by most. Maybe I need to look in super detail (or maybe I shouldn't so I don't look for it all the time haha). There is, however, one tiny imperfection toward the passenger's side that catches my eye at times--when the sun catches it right. I have been meaning to try to clean/polish it some with some gentle elbow grease to see if it disappears. I do enjoy the aluminum look though!

Where in SC are you located?

Last edited by Neegra; 03-31-2011 at 09:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 09:20 AM   #14
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekmoe View Post
Mine also has small pits in the aluminum. Not bad, barely noticeable. Bothered me at first but now I don't even notice it. Just DRIVE!

I noticed it during a cleaning--don't really notice it otherwise since I am--like you said--driving!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 09:22 AM   #15
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Agree with replacing the aluminum or wrapping it up, it's one of the cheapest things BMW has added to their interiors, it's thin and dropping a set of keys will easily un-beautify the crap. The carbon interior is far more durable as an option to the wood.
      03-31-2011, 09:42 AM   #16
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
The aluminum is not strong at all. I wear no jewelry on my shift hand/arm and my aluminum even has some small scratches, I am the original owner. Doesn't seem as bad as what you are saying but the aluminum definitely is very maleable (sp?)
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 10:07 AM   #17
imz4n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 3,0 si TITANIUM SIlVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
John
You will enjoy your Z, however, you can enjoy it a bit more with a group, check out a local group near you here. http://www.palmettoz.com/
      03-31-2011, 10:19 AM   #18
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Anyone have experience with, or know of a shop, that does custom carbon fiber wrapping? Are there pieces already available for the Z4 that don't cost more than a BBK?

The Googles show that AC Schnitzer has one for <cough cough> 3,600 bucks...I found a couple others (that look sketchy) for 1,300, there's some Ebay stuff (mighty sketchy--no real pics) for under 300.

This isn't something that's high on my priority list--but if I could get a good CF wrap on the existing parts if might be worth looking at down the road for the right price.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 10:33 AM   #19
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
I know starscream does custom wrapping jobs, ask him!
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 10:51 AM   #20
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I know starscream does custom wrapping jobs, ask him!
Thanks--will do.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 11:48 AM   #21
G1HQ
United_States
Rep
Drives: z4 3.0si coupe

I was thinking about having the console wrapped w/ a 3m clear , the same idea as the clear bra for the front bumper. i feel this would be the easiest fix without having to remove and re-wrap them.
      03-31-2011, 12:22 PM   #22
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1HQ View Post
I was thinking about having the console wrapped w/ a 3m clear , the same idea as the clear bra for the front bumper. i feel this would be the easiest fix without having to remove and re-wrap them.

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0