ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-09-2009, 04:23 AM   #1
Prodigy_1978
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 2.2

Brake pad warning light

Hi all.

I have recently been having trouble with my Brake pad warning light. The warning light has been on since I bought the car which was about 5 months ago. First of all I had the brakes checked and they were fine no problems with the pads, but what the mechanic did notice the sensor had been cut an boshed. New sensor replaced. But the light was still on. He recommended I have a mobile auto elec take a look a look as the sensors before buying a front sensor as these were expensive.

I couldn't get hold of the auto elec guy and have been umming anr arrring whether to buy a new front sensor and attempt to replace this myself. I left the key in the ignition mark 2 I think it is called and the light was off. Hoorah. Only to start the car and move 12 feet and the light to come on B*****s.

I decided to squirt some WD40 onto the callipers (I know dangerous move) as they were looking a bit iffy and I have noticed a few squeaks on the drivers side rear suspension. ( A separate thread but could this be greased?) Then while driving the light went off!!!

The light was off for about 20 minutes. I restarted the car up and continued with my journey and the light came back on. I decided to turn the engine off and back on and bingo the light is off

Could this be a dirty/dodgy sensor. Am I better off replacing the front as well just for good measure?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 09:40 AM   #2
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

The sensors aren't that expensive, and they're also very easy to replace. There are two sensors, one in the front driver-side, and the other in the rear passenger-side.
      03-09-2009, 09:47 AM   #3
imz4n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 3,0 si TITANIUM SIlVER

The Z has two sensors, one on the left front and one on the right rear. Either one would set off the light. You might want to check for corrosion at the connector in the finder well. The sensor is simply the ground, loose the ground and the light comes on. The sensors are 7-8 dollars. If all is as it should be, you may want to disconnect the neg terminal of the battery for 10 minutes and then reconnect. This amounts to a reset of the electronics. I have seen where disconnecting the battery will fix many stupid electronic issues. You will need to reset your radio stations though.
      03-09-2009, 10:53 AM   #4
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Sensors are for people who don't look at their brakes...

To get rid of the brake sensor:
1.) Locate your brake sensor.
2.) Cut off the brake sensor.
3.) Notice there are two wires for your sensor and expose the copper wire a bit.
4.) Wrap the two wires together.
5.) Cover with electric tape.

Tada, no warning brake light. No sensor.

BUT MAKE SURE YOU CHECK YOUR BRAKES REGULARLY IF YOU DO THIS.
'03 VW GTI, '99 Audi A4 1.8TQ, '00 VW Jetta 1.85T, '09 BMW 335i xDrive, '04 BMW Z4 3.0i, '01 Audi TT 1.8T, '04 Volvo S80 2.5T
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 11:43 AM   #5
pvr
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Confused about the last post. If you join the wires, you make the circuit and the light will go on. The sensor is actually a piece of plastic where the wires meet, and if the plastic wears, the wires make the contact and the light comes on.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 12:10 PM   #6
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Wrooooong...
When the sensor trips, it breaks the connection, that's what causes the warning light to come on.

Keeping the wires connected keeps the light from coming on. It's odd, but that's how the sensor works.
'03 VW GTI, '99 Audi A4 1.8TQ, '00 VW Jetta 1.85T, '09 BMW 335i xDrive, '04 BMW Z4 3.0i, '01 Audi TT 1.8T, '04 Volvo S80 2.5T
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 12:50 PM   #7
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbdm4k View Post
Sensors are for people who don't look at their brakes...

To get rid of the brake sensor:
1.) Locate your brake sensor.
2.) Cut off the brake sensor.
3.) Notice there are two wires for your sensor and expose the copper wire a bit.
4.) Wrap the two wires together.
5.) Cover with electric tape.

Tada, no warning brake light. No sensor.

BUT MAKE SURE YOU CHECK YOUR BRAKES REGULARLY IF YOU DO THIS.
Or to make sure you never have to worry about the sensor just pop them out of their mounts (before they're "worn" obviously) and zip-tie them up out of the way so the sensor can't get damaged But as stated above "MAKE SURE YOU CHECK YOUR BRAKES REGULARLY IF YOU DO THIS"

Last edited by jragan; 03-09-2009 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: mis-spelling
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 03:49 AM   #8
Prodigy_1978
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 2.2

Thanks for the feedback all,

After a down pour of rain the light has come back on???? strange.

IMZ4N, what do you mean by corrosion at the finder well, and where/how can I check for this?

If I was to disconnect the negative terminal would this wipe out my alarm?

Would I be better off off purchasing 2 new sensors and attempt a complete new fitting? As I am based in the UK I will have to source a UK supplier and hope they do not charge excessive amounts of money.
Appreciate 0