ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-06-2009, 06:28 AM   #23
gnx
Όλα ρόδες
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
I don't think EVO's editors ever said that, though they've been more sympathetic to the Z4 M Coupe than most. In the article about the launch a rep from BMW was asked if the M Coupe's performance target was the Cayman S; the rep replied "No, we were aiming for the 911."

The reason I remember it is because it sparked my modification scheme: the plan to make a M Coupe using only BMW OEM parts that would equal or exceed a base 997 in looks (CSL wheels and aero sideskirts) and performance (3.91 diff). With a 3.91 diff and the same PS2s as the 997, history would be very different in regards to the Z4M.
There was a short article in an early 07 issue, I think, written by Richard Meaden about a certain Z4 M Coupe that belongs to long time bmw owner. Those two guys along with Chris Harris have launched Drivers Republic, great on line car magazine. That car had 19 CSL wheels, PS2 tires, strut brace and side sills. I remember that Richard was pretty enthusiastic about the car. If you search on the EVO site you will find it.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 11:13 AM   #24
apexstrafer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gxanthop
There was a short article in an early 07 issue, I think, written by Richard Meaden about a certain Z4 M Coupe that belongs to long time bmw owner. Those two guys along with Chris Harris have launched Drivers Republic, great on line car magazine. That car had 19 CSL wheels, PS2 tires, strut brace and side sills. I remember that Richard was pretty enthusiastic about the car. If you search on the EVO site you will find it.
I remember the article you're talking about, and I think that was the turning point that convinced me I had to have an M Coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown
With a 3.91 diff and the same PS2s as the 997, history would be very different in regards to the Z4M.
Amen, brother.
      03-06-2009, 12:06 PM   #25
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

I think we should probably make a distinction between 997-1s and 997-2s. DI 997-2s with LSDs are a significant step forward...not to mention the new Cayman Ss with the same setup (DI + LSD) are probably now more than comparable to the M
      03-06-2009, 12:59 PM   #26
Kream
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 M Coupe, 11 GLK350

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBag335 View Post
Reaction time means nothing, and a 14.2??? Come on man you can do much better then that. What was your 60' and trap?
I forgot my 60' but I trapped @ 106mph. I think my biggest mistake was dumping it at 2,300rpm
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 07:29 PM   #27
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by gxanthop View Post
There was a short article in an early 07 issue, I think, written by Richard Meaden about a certain Z4 M Coupe that belongs to long time bmw owner.
Yep, that'd be SteveD's car, but I think he had a roadster - he was a frequent poster on Z4um. Steve is/was a sometime contributor and after their initial comparo, Steve got EVO to do another after he'd done some slight mods - they compared a Boxster and TVR, iirc. He had a M3 CSL and swapped his wheels over to the Z4M, made some camber changed, added the bars. They liked the improvements.

They still picked the Porsche.
Appreciate 0