ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-10-2009, 03:59 AM   #1
bobbydole
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW M Coupe

Experience Driving Z4 or M coupe in LA

What is it like driving either cars through LA roads? I have an E46 and live in the southbay and the number of pot-holes is killing my wheels. I'm thinking about getting a Z4 or M. I'm worried that all the pot holes will just kill the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2009, 04:57 AM   #2
Mikewarlover
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: white

if u stick with stock rims u will be fine. The oem cast rims are really strong and thats why they are heavy. However the ride of the Z on rough road as u described is probably gonna be highly undesirable
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2009, 08:29 AM   #3
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

I would suggest you purchase the extra wheel/tire warranty. I thought it sounded like a ploy by the dealer to get more money when I bought my car...But then I went through three sets of tires in the first 6 months due to blow outs and bubbles caused by pot holes and wished I had purchased the warranty :|
      01-10-2009, 09:29 AM   #4
MTHEORY
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 996 Porsche GT2

Although I live in Vegas, I'm a SoCal regular with either my MC or my 750Li. Forget about the potholes, just keep a sharp eye out. Your problem with an MC as a SoCal daily driver is the road system in general. GET READY FOR SOME SERIOUS CHATTERING OF TEETH! The MC does not do very well on the LA freeways because most of them are like corduroy roads they used to build during the Civil War. In my 750 the perfect suspension handles the issue. The MC is a different story. If you don't mind being a bobble head, then the MC may work. Also, If the MC is not a daily driver, go ahead and get it because it's the most fun you will ever have in a car. You should only be concerned if you will use it every day . . . the stiff suspension will get old quick.

(This post is specific to the Z4M. A regular Z4 is only slightly harsher than a 3 series with respect to how it handles the LA freeways)

Last edited by MTHEORY; 01-10-2009 at 09:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2009, 09:58 PM   #5
jamboMR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MR sold *sniff sniff*

I drove from San Diego to SF in my Z4M (stock rims), my hands were literally aching from just keeping the steering wheel straight through LA! The freeways are bad enough in SF, but seemed worse down there. Could put up with it on the weekends but bugger living with that every day
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2009, 11:31 AM   #6
bobbydole
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW M Coupe

That sucks. I might have to reconsider my future purchase and get a 3-series or a Z4. Or I would have to get a daily driver and let the M coupe be the weekend fun car.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2009, 04:55 PM   #7
Mikewarlover
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: white

seriously get a c350 if u are worried about the ride and if u have the money go for a C63 with the LSD. They would be much better off as a daily. 3 series is still quiet firm but obviously significantly more comfortable than the Z.
Appreciate 0