ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-25-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
dsgrillot
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M Roadster

Oil leak...drips on garage floor

2008 Z4MR
24,000 miles
Had a leak like this about 9 months ago while still under warranty. They replaced the oil pan gasket. I thought it was odd to have an oil pan gasket leak at 20k miles.

Here we are again with the same symptoms. the plastic gravel guard under the engine is completely saturated with greasy, dirty oil and so is the metal piece that attaches just behind.

I have no way to tell where this leak is coming from. I am going to clean it all up as much as I can to try to identify the source.

Any suggestions? Has anyone else has oil pan gasket problems? My dip stick levels are still in normal range.

M School
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Possibly Constant Pressure Valve => http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...pressure+valve
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
dsgrillot
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks, I went to the link. Not sure what a constant pressure valve and O ring is, but I'll find out. I crawled under there a few minutes ago and wiped it all down. I does look like a leak from the pan. There is no way I am trying to do that myself.

M School
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsgrillot View Post
Thanks, I went to the link. Not sure what a constant pressure valve and O ring is, but I'll find out. I crawled under there a few minutes ago and wiped it all down. I does look like a leak from the pan. There is no way I am trying to do that myself.
So the stealersh** did a great job on that repair.

Sorry to see this. Since you said "still under warranty" I take it the warranty is over. I'm of two minds on this: 1.) The stealer should fix their faulty work for free since the warranty repair wasn't, well, repaired; 2.) Have an good indie do the work, as it doesn't look like the techs at the stealer know WTH their doing, and I wouldn't want to find another leak in another 6-9 months.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 04:51 PM   #5
dsgrillot
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
So the stealersh** did a great job on that repair.

Sorry to see this. Since you said "still under warranty" I take it the warranty is over. I'm of two minds on this: 1.) The stealer should fix their faulty work for free since the warranty repair wasn't, well, repaired; 2.) Have an good indie do the work, as it doesn't look like the techs at the stealer know WTH their doing, and I wouldn't want to find another leak in another 6-9 months.
Thanks Finnegan...I agree 100%. If only there were a good indie I could take it to in good ol' rural West-by-god-Virginia.

Oh the stories I could tell ya about this Stealership...well, let me go ahead and bore you with one.

So I took my car in for the oil leak about 9 months ago. They "repaired" it and sent me on my way. Actually gave me a 3 series loaner for the day...nice. About a two months later (and now out of warranty) I noticed a scraping sound every time I went over a bump. I took a look underneath and saw the plastic gravel guard (not sure what the actual name of the part is, but it protects the engine and oil pan from road debris) was hanging down on one side and was torn up pretty good. Well I found a few 8mm screws at a local part store and bolted it back up. The next week I took the car in to the dealer and told them the story. Obviously you have to remove this part before replacing an oil pan gasket and apparently 6 of those screws fell off mysteriously (no fault of the dealership). The dealer claimed no responsibilty for the issue and refused to replace the part on their dime. They quoted around $450 for parts and labor to replace this plastic piece...I said no thanks, I'll fix it myself.

M School
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 06:07 PM   #6
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
A new lower underhood shield is about $165.00. Order new screws and body nuts just to be safe.

Underhood shield P/N: 51717895804

Screws:
ST 4.8X18 SW8 P/N:07147129161 Qty: 11

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...63&hg=51&fg=75

The underhood shield pictured is not the proper one but the part number is correct.

From a fellow Mountaineer.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 09:22 PM   #7
dsgrillot
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
A new lower underhood shield is about $165.00. Order new screws and body nuts just to be safe.

Underhood shield P/N: 51717895804

Screws:
ST 4.8X18 SW8 P/N:07147129161 Qty: 11

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...63&hg=51&fg=75

The underhood shield pictured is not the proper one but the part number is correct.

From a fellow Mountaineer.
http://www.zpost.com/forums/images/smilies/thumbup.gif
Let's go 'eers! Can't wait for this season to start! Thanks for the info on the underhood shield...I still think gravel guard sounds better. How in the world did you find all these parts so fast?

BTW, the quote on your signature line is awesome.

M School
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 09:25 PM   #8
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
I use RealOEM.com a lot.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 09:36 PM   #9
dsgrillot
Private
United_States
Rep

Just went to your Z4M website. Wow, what a veritable mountain of information. Nicely done...thanks!

M School
Appreciate 0