ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-18-2011, 12:43 AM   #1
santov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si White over Beige

Z4 Door Sound Insulation

Well this project isn't something I planned. The passenger door has had a very annoying rattle the past couple of weeks. The rattle was really apparent when the door was slammed shut. Over patch pavement the mystery rattle was driving me crazy.

So yesterday I went into the garage to get my iPod and slammed the door behind me. Something inside me snapped when I heard that annoying rattle again. I decided to do something.

I looked online and could only come up with these directions by Ron Stygar. It was a little vauge on how to get the panel off so here some simple directions.
  1. Remove tweeter. It is only held in place by two plastic plugs. Unplug the connector.
  2. Remove silver door handle trim by prying out from the bottom.
  3. There are two 5mm hex bolts inside.
  4. Pry out AIRBAG button out.
  5. There is one 5mm hex bolt inside.
  6. Remove plastic plug behind door handle.
  7. One T20 torx screw behind.
  8. There are 7 or 8 plastic trim plugs at the bottom of the panel. Pull the panel straight away from door. They have medium grip.
  9. There are 5 metal trim clips at the top of the panel. I thought the panel was supposed to tilt up, but the panel pulls straight away from the door. They have super strong grip, I thought the panel was going to break.
  10. Unplug the speaker connector and door switches (two sep plugs)
  11. The door handle cable tilt and lifts away from the lock. Very easy.
It would take me about 10 min to get the panel off now. I was looking for a cable or maybe broken window track for the rattle. I couldn't find anything then I looked at the door panel. One of the trim plugs was broken. So this whole time the annoying rattle was the door panel itself! I drove to Kragens hoping they'd have a generic replacement and they had a perfect match!

Since I had the door apart there were two things I wanted to investigate: 1) The door speaker, but I decided I didn't want to mess with it because I'd be tempted to drop cash on a new set of speakers (and I didn't want to get caught up with messing with driver's side). 2) Room for some DynaMat. I know with a rag top the ride will allways be noisy, but anything I can do to cut down on road noise is worth it.

I had Dynamatted my Honda Civic and I had a whole box of it left. When I was fixing my broken dryer I decided to Dynamat my washer and dryer. It was a fun project, but I wished I had saved more Dynamat. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...86#Post1930086

So I only had a half sheet left for the Z4. I cut a 12x4 inch strip, which slid in nicely behind the grey moisture barrier. The airbag is held in place by three 10mm bolts. I was nervous about air bag lights so I didn't disconnect the airbag, I just let it dangle for a few minutes. The thick black goo that holds the barrier on is easily cut and then stuck back into place. I used a rubber roller to smooth the Dynamat to the door cavity.

To put the door panel back on reconnect the switches, speakers and door handle. The panel jumps onto the metal clips with some taps with a closed fist. The plastic clips are a little more stubborn to get into the metal door. I replaced the tweeter and sat on the passenger seat. WOW! The door slams so much more solid. That damn rattle is gone, the door reverbs about 40% less when closing. I'd say road noise is about 5% improved, if I had more Dynamat it would improve a little, but I was limited to what I had on hand.

Sorry for the pics, I didn't take any pics in order:

Panel off shows the holes for plastic clips and metal clips at the top.

Airbag off, and just the top right of the moisture barrier peeled back. This offered plenty of room to get into the hollow door and place some Dynamat.

The bad clip that started it all.

The 30min and $10 in Dynamat is well worth the time, even for coupes since it makes the doors sound so much better. I'm going to tackle the drivers side tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 01:14 AM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Dynamat eh? Now I have another project!

Nice augmented instructions--good to know plugs are available at the local parts store too.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 02:48 PM   #3
babydevilj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e46 M3. Z4 3.0i

i also did this when i replaced all my speakers but i took a different approach. i left that foam there because it acts as a moisture barrier aswell. i took the dynomat and applied 2 layers to the back side of the door panel itself. Using a heat gun and a roller it molded perfectly. much better than the 5%. doors are much heavier and solid with really great sound suppression.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 03:18 PM   #4
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Nice write up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Dynamat eh? Now I have another project!
I've had this one on the back burner for a while.
It made a huge difference in other cars that I've done.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 03:38 PM   #5
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

ADDING weight to the car? aww hells no!
      05-18-2011, 10:14 PM   #6
santov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si White over Beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post
ADDING weight to the car? aww hells no!
I don't thinnk that a couple of sheets of Dynamat will make much of a differrence. It weights 0.68lbs per square foot, figure 2sq feet per door, you're at less than 3 pounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydevilj View Post
i also did this when i replaced all my speakers but i took a different approach. i left that foam there because it acts as a moisture barrier aswell. i took the dynomat and applied 2 layers to the back side of the door panel itself. Using a heat gun and a roller it molded perfectly. much better than the 5%. doors are much heavier and solid with really great sound suppression.
I didn't think about adding it to the door panel itself. I'm about to do the drivers side and I didn't consider how curvy it could be.

I do think that Dynamat is most effective when stuck to the metal door itself since thats what does most of the "clanging". I think the second layer on top of the first will be a diminished return. Perhaps the best way is one layer insde the door, the second on the panel?

It will have to wait until I do my speaker upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 03:19 PM   #7
Smurfskier
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 z4 3.0

Did the dynamat today in the doors and wow!!! Now when I close my door it sounds like a solid vehicle. Not tinny and cheap likemit did before. Pretty easy to do as well. Thanks for the write up!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 11:40 PM   #8
z4mnyc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Hmm... wonder what the airbag and stock insulation weighs....
| Z4MC | KW Clubsport | BBS-RGR 19 + Bridgestone RE11 | BBS-RGR 18 + Hoosier R6 | Sparco DTM RS | Vorshlag mounts | Braille battery | Euro Headers | Supersprint exhaust | Stoptech lines | Stongstrut | TCK camber arms | UUC SSK | APR GT-200 wing & splitter | ESS Tune | Speedware Motorsports custom roll cage | Schroth harness |
Appreciate 0