ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > BMW Z4 Photos, Photoshops, Videos and other Media
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-09-2011, 07:30 PM   #23
trsbmw
deft danish devil
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM E86 M-Cp, LMB 335d M-Sport

Garage List
2007 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by azadian2b View Post
Nope, I'm rather sure. I'm only 5'4". Geometry has a sloping top tube and uses 700s not 650s like a lot of small frame bikes. 2006 Trek 1200. Could be kid size, but it fits which is what's important.
according to road bike reviews, the smallest size for the trek 1200 was 50cm, much bigger than 43cm...

http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/la...1_5668crx.aspx

=====edit that,, found another reference that mentions the 43cm size. My apologies for doubting your measurements:

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...rek&Model=1200
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 08:30 PM   #24
azadian2b
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by trsbmw View Post
according to road bike reviews, the smallest size for the trek 1200 was 50cm, much bigger than 43cm...

http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/la...1_5668crx.aspx

=====edit that,, found another reference that mentions the 43cm size. My apologies for doubting your measurements:

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...rek&Model=1200
No worries, this would have been the easiest link (actual color scheme):
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2006/archive/1200

It's not bad for an entry level bike and it has taken a good amount of abuse since I bought it. It was actually stolen and recovered after having been spraypainted. One of the reasons I was able to spot it (very luckily) was that no one else rides a 43cm road bike.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 04:15 PM   #25
Avicenna
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 Coupe 3.0Si

I've been mulling over the bike rack for a very long time now... I was tempted to go the trailer hitch route although i would much prefer this.... Any updates on how this was done? what racks were used? Such a tease!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 04:32 PM   #26
marinb
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 911 GTS

The pics look cool and all, but this a lame thread without any explanation on how it was done.

My guess is he took some standard Yakima Q-Clips and inserted them under the roof (i.e. between where the weather stripping meets the metal roof). It probably required unscrewing the 4 roof screws and sliding the Q-Clips in, then tightening down the roof. Which would make this a somewhat permanent solution, since it would be a pain to have to unscrew the roof every time you want to remove the rack.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 11:10 PM   #27
fitchesbass
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Get a bike with a motor... problem solved?

E86 Z4M - Sold
E36 M3 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 11:08 PM   #28
InterlagozzE86MCoupe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW M Coupe

Sorry guys I don't get on here much. To answer ya'lls question there is no drilling. I use to have this rack on my 350z. Funny thing is that a buddy of mine works at sun and ski. He was a manager there so he had me test fit all the racks. It took me 2 months to get it right. The side clips are made for a BMW 7 series. Hope this helps. Any more questions feel free to ask. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 09:58 PM   #29
InterlagozzE86MCoupe
Private
United_States
Rep

HERE ARE BETTER PHOTOS OF THE BIKE RACK AND MY BIKE ON MY CAR. PLEASE EXCUSE THE DIRTINESS OF MY CAR. I JUST GOT BACK FROM A BIKE RIDE

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 06:50 AM   #30
mshanno1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Went to my local bike shop, and they said I can use a rack similar to this in combination with some hathback clips:

The top part would sit on the glass, and the bottom would sit at the bottom of the hatch just above the bumper. With the way it is designed most of the weight would be on the bottom support, and not the one on the glass. He didn't seem concerned at all about the rack being harmful to the glass, and he's been doing this for 30+ years
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #31
jophish17
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

I'm glad mine can fit in the hatch =)

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #32
marinb
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

InterlagozzE86MCoupe, thanks for the added pics, the rack looks good. But these pics do nothing to help explain how you installed the yakima towers. I'd rather see detailed pics of how the QClips are mated to the roof. And maybe more of an explanation how you did the install. (Like did you have to unscrew the roof at all? Do you just pry back the weather striping? etc...)

jophish17, that's sweet that your bike fits in the trunk. =) What frame size do you have? My road bike doesn't quite fit, the curved handle bars definitely make it hard to get in there (I've tried putting the bars on both the right and left side of the car).
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 10:16 PM   #33
InterlagozzE86MCoupe
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinb View Post
InterlagozzE86MCoupe, thanks for the added pics, the rack looks good. But these pics do nothing to help explain how you installed the yakima towers. I'd rather see detailed pics of how the QClips are mated to the roof. And maybe more of an explanation how you did the install. (Like did you have to unscrew the roof at all? Do you just pry back the weather striping? etc...)

jophish17, that's sweet that your bike fits in the trunk. =) What frame size do you have? My road bike doesn't quite fit, the curved handle bars definitely make it hard to get in there (I've tried putting the bars on both the right and left side of the car).
marinB there is no weather strip removing or ROOF removing at all. I use to have this bike rack on my Nismo 350z and when I sold it I kept the rack. Like I said, my buddy is a manager at sun and ski and he had me try out all the clips to fit my 350z. From what worked, the roof rack system for a 7 series was the perfect fit for my Nismo. I tried and tried for months after I sold my Nismo to fit on the M Coupe and had no luck. Did some re-thinking and tried new clips again from my pal. I forgot which ones they were but they slide at each end of the roof not damaging the roof or weather strip at all. I takes me 10 minutes to remove and put back on. NO DAMAGE! You just have to measure it perfect and right to fit the roof when installing. Once installed all you have to do is remove and slide the clips out. I will try to get more description and photos and see which ones I bought. Anymore questions feel free to ask.

Kinds Regards
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 10:35 PM   #34
fitchesbass
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jophish17 View Post
I'm glad mine can fit in the hatch =)

Haha well done!
E86 Z4M - Sold
E36 M3 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 01:07 AM   #35
E86Z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3.0si

InterlagozzE86MCoupe

between the dirty car and the clean bike mounted I haven't seen anything so bad ass in months. Well done sir, well done.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 12:09 PM   #36
marinb
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterlagozzE86MCoupe View Post
marinB there is no weather strip removing or ROOF removing at all. I use to have this bike rack on my Nismo 350z and when I sold it I kept the rack. Like I said, my buddy is a manager at sun and ski and he had me try out all the clips to fit my 350z. From what worked, the roof rack system for a 7 series was the perfect fit for my Nismo. I tried and tried for months after I sold my Nismo to fit on the M Coupe and had no luck. Did some re-thinking and tried new clips again from my pal. I forgot which ones they were but they slide at each end of the roof not damaging the roof or weather strip at all. I takes me 10 minutes to remove and put back on. NO DAMAGE! You just have to measure it perfect and right to fit the roof when installing. Once installed all you have to do is remove and slide the clips out. I will try to get more description and photos and see which ones I bought. Anymore questions feel free to ask.

Kinds Regards
Excellent, thanks! A detailed photo of how the clip slides in and knowing which clips to buy would be awesome. Looking forward to your next post. I'd love to be able to get my Yakima rack on my M coupe. =)
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 01:08 PM   #37
Jmanscotch
is a Texan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i - 6MT SOLD

Maybe this would work? http://www.realtruck.com/rhino-rack-...500-roof-rack/

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #38
mshanno1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterlagozzE86MCoupe View Post

Kinds Regards
Any more info on this??
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 02:07 PM   #39
dom3.0
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 640d GC

You're such a tease! I've been looking everywhere for a roof rack... please can we have some more info on how you did this?!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 08:14 AM   #40
mshanno1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Bump for more info on this bike rack.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 08:42 AM   #41
dom3.0
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 640d GC

I spoke to Yakima...

InterlagozzE86MCoupe,

I spoke to Yakima and apparently the clips you used should have a number on them... it might have the letter Q in front of it, but not necessarily.

Please can you have a look and let us know the number? Everything else is pretty easy to figure out from the photos and your description.

Thanks
Dom
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #42
mshanno1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom3.0 View Post
InterlagozzE86MCoupe,

I spoke to Yakima and apparently the clips you used should have a number on them... it might have the letter Q in front of it, but not necessarily.

Please can you have a look and let us know the number? Everything else is pretty easy to figure out from the photos and your description.

Thanks
Dom
Keeping my fingers crossed!

I think I'm just going to go with a SeaSucker Talon instead.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 09:30 PM   #43
PJV
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '23 Audi A8L

Bump! InterlagozzE86MCoupe, please get us any label or product number on your clips.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #44
Denton
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11.5 328xiT/6 - '99 M3/2/5

Any update on this?
Appreciate 0