ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-03-2017, 06:14 PM   #1
DanFromTucson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Bilstein B6 for Z4M: Reuse Rear Bumpstop & Dust Cover?

I just installed some Bilstein B6 shocks in the rear of my Z4MC as part of my 55,000 mile suspension refresh. The Bilsteins didn't come with bumpstops or dust covers, so I assume I'm supposed to reuse the assembly from my old shocks.

The diagram in the box shows an external bump stop, so that seems to support my theory.

Can someone confirm?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 10:30 PM   #2
m5m3mc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M-B C63

Bilstein doesn't sell one? The bump stop actually acts as a progressive spring and not just to prevent bottoming out. I personally would never reuse one unless it was pretty much new to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 07:18 AM   #3
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanFromTucson View Post
I just installed some Bilstein B6 shocks in the rear of my Z4MC as part of my 55,000 mile suspension refresh. The Bilsteins didn't come with bumpstops or dust covers, so I assume I'm supposed to reuse the assembly from my old shocks.

The diagram in the box shows an external bump stop, so that seems to support my theory.

Can someone confirm?
You're supposed to buy new bump stops (item 4) and new mounts (item 6) to go with your new shocks. You can reuse the dust covers if they're not damaged or haven't become embrittled with age. The Rogue Engineering mounts are a better choice than the OEM, but at a minimum you should replace the OEM.

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E8...ing_and_parts/
      09-04-2017, 08:51 AM   #4
DanFromTucson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Thanks guys. My old bump stops look fine, but I guess I'll order some new ones when I order replacements for the clips I broke dismantling my interior.

I did install Rogue mounts, so at least I'll be able to change the bump stops easily in a week or 2!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 08:28 AM   #5
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Agreed -

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanFromTucson View Post
Thanks guys. My old bump stops look fine, but I guess I'll order some new ones when I order replacements for the clips I broke dismantling my interior.

I did install Rogue mounts, so at least I'll be able to change the bump stops easily in a week or 2!
Agreed - I replaced all of the above during my recent suspension upgrades:

Bilstein B12 Pro-Kit & Eibach Pro-Kit Springs Installed....
Replaced OEM front control arms with BMW ZHP performance control arms, OEM front control arm bushings, all new spring pads, strut support guides and bearings....front lowered 3/4 inch & rear 3/8 inch....4 wheel alignment....performed by Eastside Bavarian - Eric the Tech's acumen, detail, thoroughness and precision is awesome....

First impressions....the visual change is freaking awesome....the seat time reveals it feels like it's on rails....freaking awesome.
      02-05-2018, 02:10 PM   #6
Dan Bilzerian
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 325i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbruce View Post
Agreed - I replaced all of the above during my recent suspension upgrades:

Bilstein B12 Pro-Kit & Eibach Pro-Kit Springs Installed....
Replaced OEM front control arms with BMW ZHP performance control arms, OEM front control arm bushings, all new spring pads, strut support guides and bearings....front lowered 3/4 inch & rear 3/8 inch....4 wheel alignment....performed by Eastside Bavarian - Eric the Tech's acumen, detail, thoroughness and precision is awesome....

First impressions....the visual change is freaking awesome....the seat time reveals it feels like it's on rails....freaking awesome.
You didn't happen to measure the height of the bump stops did you? I'm doing a refresh on my car and trying to get the right height bump stops to match the how much I'm lowering the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 09:01 PM   #7
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Measure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bilzerian View Post
You didn't happen to measure the height of the bump stops did you? I'm doing a refresh on my car and trying to get the right height bump stops to match the how much I'm lowering the car.
I did not -