ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-11-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

Deeper note: Remus or Diablo

Just curious for those that have heard both in person, which one has the "deeper" note, the Remus or Diablo exhaust?

I know the Diablo is louder, but which one is deeper?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Diablo for sure. It also flexes more of the inline 6 sound.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gferil View Post
Diablo for sure. It also flexes more of the inline 6 sound.

I've had both on my car. Diablo is much deeper. Louder too. Remus Sport is like stock +10% most of the time. If you really get on it, it's probably 25% to maybe 50% louder (perception, not db). At less that WOT it's not that much more noticeable in the cabin that stock.

What are you looking for out of an exhaust, and what are you notlooking for?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep

Looking for deep, growl, something along the lines of a bear growling.

Not a fan of the supersprint sound or the raspy metallic sound.

That's why I was leaning toward Remus, because it is deeper but not that much drone.

I hear bad things about the Diablo drone, but if it is that much deeper, I may go that route.

I already tried the aFe intake and didn't like it, so my next option for more growl is exhaust.

I drive about 4-5 hours at a time, usually half back roads and half highway.

I am just afraid of the exhaust being ANNOYING, not afraid of losing the option to have a conversation with the top down. I just don't want my ears to hurt afterwards and have the sound stay in my ears after I shut the car off.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
Z4MHawk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 M Roadster

Did we decide that the rear hanger support on the Remus cans is not aligned properly with BMW rear hanger support and need to be modified (hanger cross support removed/relocated? I can do this work, but wonder why Remus doesn't modify them to align?

This would play some part in my decision other than just straight sound.
      08-12-2012, 07:57 PM   #6
pal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4MHawk
Did we decide that the rear hanger support on the Remus cans is not aligned properly with BMW rear hanger support and need to be modified (hanger cross support removed/relocated? I can do this work, but wonder why Remus doesn't modify them to align?

This would play some part in my decision other than just straight sound.
Yes, the Remus hanger has a cross support that gets in the way of the stock rubber mount. I was able to squish the rubber hanger/mount enough to get the bolt through the hole and after that it was a regular install.

I like the sound and the sound level (db) of the Remus and while I like the Eisenmann Sport sound the most, I am not willing to spend $2500 for a pair of cans. BavAuto has a great price on the Remus so I ran with that and have been happy. I also have te Euro headers on the car that also adds to the deeper tone and volume.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 01:14 AM   #7
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal View Post
Yes, the Remus hanger has a cross support that gets in the way of the stock rubber mount. I was able to squish the rubber hanger/mount enough to get the bolt through the hole and after that it was a regular install.

I like the sound and the sound level (db) of the Remus and while I like the Eisenmann Sport sound the most, I am not willing to spend $2500 for a pair of cans. BavAuto has a great price on the Remus so I ran with that and have been happy. I also have te Euro headers on the car that also adds to the deeper tone and volume.
FWIW, I cut off the cross support and filed the area level and smooth. There's still plenty of support, and it's not a piece that's necessary. That made the install much easier, with no compression of the mount.

Euro headers would add a deeper tone and more volume. I'l bet it's a very nice setup and sound, especially under load. I'm going to finally install my Euro headers, and probably an X-pipe as well, which should wake up my Remus a bit.

Totally agree on all points on the Eisenmann sport. Sounds great, but pricey. (Wife's car has one plus X-pipe, it's incredible, but the exhaust came with the car.)

OP, do you have any other exhaust mods, or would this be an axle-back only.

Last edited by Finnegan; 08-13-2012 at 01:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 02:08 AM   #8
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaZeta View Post
Looking for deep, growl, something along the lines of a bear growling.

Not a fan of the supersprint sound or the raspy metallic sound.

That's why I was leaning toward Remus, because it is deeper but not that much drone.

I hear bad things about the Diablo drone, but if it is that much deeper, I may go that route.

I already tried the aFe intake and didn't like it, so my next option for more growl is exhaust.

I drive about 4-5 hours at a time, usually half back roads and half highway.

I am just afraid of the exhaust being ANNOYING, not afraid of losing the option to have a conversation with the top down. I just don't want my ears to hurt afterwards and have the sound stay in my ears after I shut the car off.
blasphemy!

lol i think the afe sounds glorious. it barks while my exhaust quacks.
      08-13-2012, 06:16 AM   #9
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubydafa View Post
blasphemy!

lol i think the afe sounds glorious. it barks while my exhaust quacks.
Well, I didn't say it was BAD, just not for me.

I just would rather put the $500 towards something more my style.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 09:12 AM   #10
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

HA! Seems to be a trend here. I think unanimously everyone agrees that the stock Z4M is way too sedate (sounding). Even a friend of mine that was driving behind me said "your car is all engine, no exhaust". I tried the Diablos, but the drone was frankly unbearable. I want something that is sedate (OEM-ish) during normal driving, but more ferocious when you get on it. I'm going to try the intake route next as I had good luck in other cars.

The Remus sounds like a good option, but not sure I want to drop $1200+ just to make my car sound different.

GammaZeta, if you want to sell your AFE, I'm interested
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 09:22 AM   #11
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep

Already sold it!

The sound was alright, but my butt dyno had some weird performance issues with it.

Sound is actually very important to the car. I had a Z3M for a while, and when i added the Conforti CAI, it totally transformed the car. It was the best $400 I ever spent on the car.

But yeah, spending $1,000 plus on sound is tough to swallow.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 09:38 AM   #12
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I agree that sound plays a tremendous role. I read good things on the Eisenmann and Supersprint Powerloops, but that price is impossible to justify. However, the drone of the Diablos (and RPI's) from what I hear is too much for me.

Anyone try modifying the E46 M3 Corsa system (http://www.corsaperf.com/product_dis...px?product=663) for the Z4M? Is it a full pipe/can configuration or just axle back cans?

There are some good videos with an E46 M3 and they sound great:
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 09:54 AM   #13
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep

Yeah, my priorities on sound are:

1. Deep growl.

2. Ability to use it everyday or for long periods of time without going deaf.

3. Price.

4. No loss of performance.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 10:00 AM   #14
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Well, if you pick 3 of your 4, you can get there
ie:
2+3+4 = OEM
1+3+4 = Diablo / RPI
1+2+4 = Eisenmann

I'm going to investigate the Magnaflow route also.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #15
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnmra
I agree that sound plays a tremendous role. I read good things on the Eisenmann and Supersprint Powerloops, but that price is impossible to justify. However, the drone of the Diablos (and RPI's) from what I hear is too much for me.

Anyone try modifying the E46 M3 Corsa system (http://www.corsaperf.com/product_dis...px?product=663) for the Z4M? Is it a full pipe/can configuration or just axle back cans?

There are some good videos with an E46 M3 and they sound great:
Completely different system. I'm a HUGE fan of Corsa systems and was really let down when I found out they don't support our cars (tried to get something going at the start - no luck). Their cans are amazing. I've often wondered if something could be frankensteined together...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #16
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
Completely different system. I'm a HUGE fan of Corsa systems and was really let down when I found out they don't support our cars (tried to get something going at the start - no luck). Their cans are amazing. I've often wondered if something could be frankensteined together...
That's what I was wondering; if you could hack something together using their cans only...however I wonder if that would defeat their "No Drone" technology. I think their E46 M3 system is a cat back (including midpipe) design (mind you, I can't find any pictures of that setup anywhere), but I wonder if we could just by the cans? What sort of feedback or interaction did you have with Corsa?

Maybe a group buy would help motivate them, although I realize that the low volume of the Z4M is likely unappealing.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #17
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

On that note; does "BMS" even still exist? In trying to investigate that route I couldn't find their website, or where one would even go about buying them???
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 01:21 PM   #18
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

I am leaning toward Stromung. I haven't read anything bad about them except some complaints about slow delivery, and some want louder. 304 Stainless steel and you can get them for $850 complete.

http://www.understeer.com/onlinestore-exhaust.shtml

There are some sound clips of it on this site.

Opinions?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #19
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
I am leaning toward Stromung. I haven't read anything bad about them except some complaints about slow delivery, and some want louder. 304 Stainless steel and you can get them for $850 complete.

http://www.understeer.com/onlinestore-exhaust.shtml

There are some sound clips of it on this site.

Opinions?
I was just researching those too, but there is inconsistency on the "drone" front. I've seen some people say "no drone" and others say "unbearable".

Not sure if the guy that complained had them potentially installed incorrectly though, but I'd be very interested in hearing a Stromung setup.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 01:38 PM   #20
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnmra View Post
I was just researching those too, but there is inconsistency on the "drone" front. I've seen some people say "no drone" and others say "unbearable".

Not sure if the guy that complained had them potentially installed incorrectly though, but I'd be very interested in hearing a Stromung setup.
Here is my setup.

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #21
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMCoupe View Post
Here is my setup.
Are these Stormungs? What's your comment on the drone?

Last edited by ncnmra; 08-13-2012 at 02:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #22
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep

Yeah, I heard they are a little raspy too? How is the drone?
Appreciate 0