ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-23-2016, 06:57 PM   #1
DaveJB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

most of you are okay with stock system?

Hey guys, I am in no rush to do this but the stock system isn't cutting it. The main issue right now is this crazy floppy bass driver sound I get only when listening to FM radio, and I don't hear it when listening to my phone through the Aux port. EDIT: I have an '07 with the highest end system - can't remember what it's called.

Just before I bought this car I was about to install a full stereo system in my Z3 (had already upgraded the head unit) but in the Z4 I think an aftermarket head unit would look hideous.

I've poked around on Crutchfield and it looks like they make sound processors that are designed to accept the speaker level audio (the signals that are going to the drivers) and convert in into full range stereo output. This would allow me to install my sub, amp and two way mids. For example

Has anyone done this yet?

TIA!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 07:11 PM   #2
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

The roadster has much better acoustics somehow
Here is what some coupe owners have done
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...ReCoding+audio
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 08:39 PM   #3
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

I turned it on a few times when I first got the car. The sound system certainly isn't the best sound coming from the car. Can't remember the last time I turned it on...probably the last time my wife went for a drive with me. :-)
      03-29-2016, 07:01 AM   #4
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

What he said. Ive had a blown door speaker, not tweeter since the day I've had the car.. can't say i am too worried about it .
      03-29-2016, 07:22 AM   #5
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by itdnwiwbp
I turned it on a few times when I first got the car. The sound system certainly isn't the best sound coming from the car. Can't remember the last time I turned it on...probably the last time my wife went for a drive with me. :-)
WHS

I used to be concerned with car audio, usually upgraded my stock head unit before anything else, until I got this car, that is. 90% of the time I don't even turn it on, as I prefer to listen to the engine.

For the times that I do turn it on, I did install an Audiovox Mediabridge (PITA) so I can stream music over Bluetooth from my phone, but that is the only audio mod I've done to the car. I'm not overwhelmed by the Carver 10-speaker system, but I haven't hated it enough to upgrade anything else. It's definitely lacking in bass, but I can live with that until I've upgraded essentially everything else.

I can appreciate your desire to improve the sound capability of the vehicle, though. From what I've seen/read, it seems to be quite a task, though. Upgraded speaker components would definitely help, but you can quickly reach the point of diminishing returns without changing out the head unit.

Guess I'll be stuck listening to the sweet siren song of the S54 for the time being. Makes it easier to shift, anyway.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 01:06 PM   #6
DaveJB
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah, I also sometimes drive without any music or anything, the car sounds so good... the Stromung exhaust, the mechanical valve train And this car has no rattles or creaks.

But man, when you've heard a time-aligned speaker system it's hard to go back. You're right on this car it's a real beoch. For now I'm thinking of just installing the midrange component set I had already purchased for the Z3, but I realize the impedance is much different. I believe the drivers in front are 10 ohm and of course the Hybrid Audio I have are 4 ohm.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 01:21 PM   #7
DaveJB
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
The roadster has much better acoustics somehow
Here is what some coupe owners have done
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...ReCoding+audio
Just wanted to let you know I saw your post. I had seen that and hadn't considered it since I had other plans, but I'm now thinking it might be worth a shot since upgrading the system in this car is crazy hard. Plus, the other day I played one of my reference CD's and listened more carefully and found that the system isn't all bad. Maybe correcting the equalization will help enough for me to move on.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 05:47 PM   #8
M-Cast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 E86 Coupe  [0.00]
2006 Z4 3.0si Coupe  [6.00]
2002 330 CI  [0.00]
2018 BMW 240M  [0.00]
2007 M Coupe  [10.00]
I finally got around to replacing mine and went with a full MB Quart upgrade. Also added blue tooth and the front and rear cameras which really helped. I can finally hear the music over my exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 05:48 PM   #9
DaveJB
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Cast View Post
I finally got around to replacing mine and went with a full MB Quart upgrade. Also added blue tooth and the front and rear cameras which really helped. I can finally hear the music over my exhaust.
With the factory head unit or aftermarket?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 08:55 PM   #10
M-Cast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E86 Coupe  [0.00]
2002 330 CI  [0.00]
2018 BMW 240M  [0.00]
2007 M Coupe  [10.00]
I kept the factory head unit, cosmetically everything looks factory and it sounds amazing. I spent about 2k with labor to get everything done including the NAV-tool with front and rear cameras.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 09:10 PM   #11
DaveJB
Private First Class
Rep

I don't know if you've seen all my posts but I'm looking to do the same. Can you share what you did?

Did you use a DSP? You must have if you kept the factory head unit.
What do you mean by Nav-tool?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 09:39 PM   #12
M-Cast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E86 Coupe  [0.00]
2002 330 CI  [0.00]
2018 BMW 240M  [0.00]
2007 M Coupe  [10.00]
As you can see my car sits pretty low and my windows are tinted all the way around so to protect myself I wanted to add front and rear cameras so I could see how close I am to the curb.

I replaced the tweeters, all the 5" mid range speakers, the 2 small subs, the side floor speakers and upgraded the amp.

You can check out the Nav-tool here. It basically integrates into the factory unit and when you go into reverse it automatically shows the rear on the NAV screen and then I have a toggle button which switches to the front. It also allows you to plugin the Bluetooth module which keeps things really clean. Outside of the Amp that is mounted in the rear you would never know it was not all factory.

http://www.navtool.com/bmwZ4_03-08.aspx

MB Quart is nice because it is a factory plug in for BMW and the only one I know that has replacements for the subs. I also had the doors padded with sound reduction which I would definitely suggest.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 12:10 PM   #13
DaveJB
Private First Class
Rep

Interesting. Sounds like you're saying you replaced all of the speakers and just the factory amp? That must have been done with a DSP unit, or at least one of the units that converts the factory amp signal to line level. Glad you're happy with it
Appreciate 0