ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-25-2024, 08:11 PM   #23
disintegrator66
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 340i M-Sport 6MT THP MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipilcher View Post
But once you lift a corner of the car up with the scissor jack, how are you supposed to get it onto a jack stand?
You're looking to avoid a floor jack and there aren't many options. While a scissor jack isn't quite as stable as a jack stand, its arguably more stable than relying on a hydraulic floor jack. Again, not MY first choice, but an option if you don't want/can't use a floor jack/jack stand combo. I use ETA Manufacturing jack stands which need a floor jack...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 12:48 PM   #24
s_ribs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '15 535i xDrive M-Sport, E30

Garage List
I've been watching the long reach HF jack for a while now and it's finally on sale for $199 ($40 savings). If you are considering one, I'd get it while you can.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 02:09 PM   #25
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by disintegrator66 View Post
While a scissor jack isn't quite as stable as a jack stand, its arguably more stable than relying on a hydraulic floor jack.
In my experience it's exactly the opposite. Say, when using a scissor jack I did bother to put a wheel underneath the raised car just in case. No need with the HF floor jack which is rock solid (yet, no getting under the car, of course!). Yes, you should mind the hydraulic jack's condition, but if it works it just does. A scissor jack doesn't feel that stable and it eventually breaks (the BMW one got it's plastic bushing destroyed by the metal screw rod, luckily at the best moment possible though yes, there had been signs of weakness before that happened).

And by the way, a very nice garage you have!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 02:20 PM   #26
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
In my experience it's exactly the opposite. Say, when using a scissor jack I did bother to put a wheel underneath the raised car just in case. No need with the HF floor jack which is rock solid (yet, no getting under the car, of course!). Yes, you should mind the hydraulic jack's condition, but if it works it just does. A scissor jack doesn't feel that stable and it eventually breaks (the BMW one got it's plastic bushing destroyed by the metal screw rod, luckily at the best moment possible though yes, there had been signs of weakness before that happened).

And by the way, a very nice garage you have!
Agree same experience as well. When I just need to do something quick like swap a wheel or plug a tire, something like that where I won't put myself under the car, I tend to only use my jack and it's pretty stable. I have the jack in the picture.

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 03:25 PM   #27
disintegrator66
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 340i M-Sport 6MT THP MPPSK

Let me clarify. If you put a gun to my head I’d much rather be working on or underneath a vehicle that’s on a sole scissor jack versus a sole hydraulic jack. This is due to the possibility of a hydraulic floor jack losing its seal and dropping the car by a number of different means. The scissor jack is not going to unscrew itself in any situation. Having said that, I personally wouldn’t use a sole scissor jack or a floor jack to hold my vehicle in place while I’m working on it. No matter what I’m doing I’ll jack it up and place it on the jack stand. I’m too old to get crushed by a car! I’ll leave that for the young kids!! Lol
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:58 AM   #28
s_ribs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '15 535i xDrive M-Sport, E30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_ribs View Post
I've been watching the long reach HF jack for a while now and it's finally on sale for $199 ($40 savings). If you are considering one, I'd get it while you can.
FYI - just got an email that there is a new coupon, on sale for $189.99 now. Darn good deal on this.
Appreciate 0