ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-11-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
ftlaudm3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 LSB ; Z4 3.0i

AUX Input DIY - helpful hints

So after reading a bunch of posts I though I would help out those that are trying this. I ended up getting the E46 connector instead of the regular one. It was recommended since it was cheaper ($32 vs $86). It doesn't come with the ashtray. I didn't want the ashtray since you have to keep the door open.

Getting that vent out in next to impossible. I seriously gave up like 3 times and went searching for a DIY each time. What I found out

1. You need to close vents to insert and take out vents. Its necessary!!!
2. On my 03 there it had four places that needed to be released
A. Two clips at the top - next to impossible to get too
B. Two clips at the bottom in the corners - easy to get too
3. I had a bunch of old credit cards/gift cards that I used and basically ruined all of them. They were beat to hell by the end
4. I am still in shock at how hard it was to remove definitely thought I was going to break the vents - They were bending to get access to the top clips
5. If you release all clips the vent will just pull out without any force - if it takes force you have no release the clips

Now for the e46 cable. I highly recommend paying for the ashtray cable. The E46 cable is not setup properly. The end piece reminds me of a USB plug from a motherboard on a computer. The back of the radio has two 12 pin areas. I had no idea which to use. Also the plug on e46 cable is setup for 10 pins. I looked at the corners of the cable and they are labeled with numbers on the corners. From research pin 3,4, and 10 are used. I took off the gray outside piece on the cable and plugged in the 10 pin connector into the twelve pins ignoring the last row. You will need to remove the odd shaped gray piece on the end to see the 10 pin connector (black). Once seated I held my breathe and turned on the radio and it worked. Listened to my phone/mp3 player and both worked. Put everything back together and took a ride. So far its still working. I figure it should either work or not. Tested the fader and balance and they work. Quality is good. I mounted the jack location on the plate in the right corner. Drilled a hole through the rubber plate and it look good and is out of the way. Ran the 3 ft cable between the seat and by the hand brake.

Hope this helps anyone with their install. Good luck with getting the vents out. I never want to deal with that again.
      01-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Check my mod thread in my signature, I wrote up the Aux-IN installation. I used 4 soldering tools (that way you can stick them in and release all the clips at once). Took me only about 3 minutes of fiddling with it. Good luck!