ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-12-2015, 11:00 AM   #23
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by itdnwiwbp View Post
Legit, yes. I don't wanna say there's no other way to pass but if the Euro headers are what's currently installed it does complicate things. If you've got a "guy" though you should be ok, right?
In theory. I was hoping I could do a semi-quick swap of parts and do it legit. I've never gone to a "guy" and have reservations, but at this point I think I will give it a try and hope for the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
I would suggest putting the headers back to stock, including the O2 and EGT sensors.
That should get you past the sniffer test and mitigate potential check engine light issues.
The rest you can season to taste.

I have stock headers, RE section 1, which is just pipes with no cats or resonators, stock X-pipe, and RE cans.
The sound is incredible, passes the sniff test, and E-Z Smog has no idea what a stock Z4 ///M is supposed to be, and really don't care.
Depending on where you are in SoCal, you may want to try them. On La Palma in Chino, near the Stoney Lonesome.
I'm in OC but willing to travel to get smog taken care of for obvious reasons. My "guy" is in east la.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
I thought California got rid of the sniff test?

I have OEM U.S. headers and S-pipe I could let go if you're interested.

Your description of the stock exhaust is correct - the S-pipe and section 1 are the same piece. The stock U.S. exhaust has four parts:

1. Catted headers (this is where the primary and secondary O2 sensors are. The car you're looking at has catless Euro headers, so the secondary O2 sensors (the ones that used to check catalyst efficiency) have to be move into the S-pipe to avoid a check engine light. The car's computer must sense a cat between the primary and secondary sensors.

2. Catted section 1, or S-pipe. The DKF system replaced this component with a much better, free-flowing system. The OEM U.S. section 1 does not have O2 sensors. The Euro and DKF do. DKF is the least restrictive of the two.

3. Resonated section 2, or S-pipe. This is a crossover to help with exhaust scavenging and improve sound. It sounds like this system is stock on the car you're looking to purchase.

4. Mufflers, or section 3. The main reasons people swap these out are for sound tuning and looks.

If you went back to the OEM U.S. setup, you would lose 20+ horsepower and a lot of sound. As long as the car isn't throwing a check engine light, you can pass emissions (assuming no sniffer) if your guy gives you the thumbs up on the visual.

The DKF cats haven't been proven to pass or fail emissions. There's not a lot of data out there... yet. I have a theory that it's all related to cat temperature. The people passing have ceramic coatings or forced induction. The ones failing do not. At the same time, my friend with non-coated headers has put his 300 cell cats in and had no CEL, so the jury is still out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossBMWZseries View Post
Corrected
Thanks for the info. This makes it clear for me what I'm dealing with. The reason I can't easily mix and match parts are because of the varying locations of o2 sensors.

Thanks for the offer for stock parts, but they are accompanying the vehicle purchase so I'm good there.

Anyway, I was hoping to simply swap mufflers and airbox (that is also aftermarket) and pass visual. But now that I've learned the sniffer may be tricky to pass as well, I'll give the easy route a try.

Thanks a bunch guys - this was informative. I look forward to being more active on this board once I get the car (next week).
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 12:26 PM   #24
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 328i LCI & '06 Z4MR

Garage List
Post pics when you get it!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 01:17 PM   #25
torchmedia
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: White Z4MC

I just got back from my local dealer (Canada). They are charging just under $17 a piece for the header gaskets and $2.38 per nut (x18) for the headers.

Just shy of $145!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 01:51 PM   #26
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchmedia View Post
I just got back from my local dealer (Canada). They are charging just under $17 a piece for the header gaskets and $2.38 per nut (x18) for the headers.

Just shy of $145!!!!
Whenever I need something quickly and can't wait to get it from Tischer I'm always blown away by the crazy ripoff that buying from my local dealer is. Even after my jaw drops and they say, "ok, we'll knock off 10%". For fasteners and gaskets usually at least four times what realoem says and twice what Tischer charges.
      02-12-2015, 02:30 PM   #27
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Corrected
Thanks. My mind and keyboard don't always sync up .

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 02:31 PM   #28
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:

Just shy of $145!!!!
A lot of companies sell a header install kit for around $90-100 USD. I would try ECS Tuning, Bimmerworld, etc. International shipping may be a problem though.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 10:08 PM   #29
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Quote:
Post pics when you get it!
I definitely will. It's another member's car that I'm purchasing, so you guys will probably recognize it. I'll make an introduction thread and tell a bit about myself and my other rides.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 06:47 PM   #30
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I've seen countless times on header install pictures where the cams cover (or valve cover as some people call it) comes off. Is it this required? Because if that's the case, won't we need a gasket for that as well?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 07:28 PM   #31
torchmedia
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: White Z4MC

Quote:
I've seen countless times on header install pictures where the cams cover (or valve cover as some people call it) comes off. Is it this required? Because if that's the case, won't we need a gasket for that as well?
I think you're talking about the plastic cover that goes over the plugs, coils, etc.? That's mostly a cosmetic piece and doesn't have a gasket. It is removed so people can re-arrange some of the o2 sensor cabling.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 07:28 PM   #32
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 M2 Comp

Quote:

Just shy of $145!!!!
I got header gaskets and nuts from getbmwparts.com for about $66.66 shipped.

Quote:
Don't think it's the entire cover that comes off. Just the top plastic. I believe in order to relocate the sensors you need to take this off to extend the wires that are tucked in.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  51.0 KB

Last edited by UntzUntzUntz; 02-20-2015 at 07:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 09:09 PM   #33
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Ah that's great news that I don't need another gasket. I just got my headers today but i need to order the parts. UntzUntzUntz $66 is cheap. I was gonna go with ECSTuning but BMWparts might be cheaper..

Anyway thank you both for confirming that. Untz when will you do your install? I got my euro headers and S pipe ready to go but I need all the parts. I think I'm just gonna purchase everything you listed as I don't wanna run into any surprises while installing it all.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 09:17 PM   #34
OptionlessM
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

I'm surprised people are struggling so much with CA smog.

All you have to do is make the computer happy these days. There is no sniff test. If you are doing headers, you should certainly be doing a tune. Have the tuner repress the O2 sensor voltage readings. It will show as ready and error free. Unless the smog guy is an ass and fails you for visual.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2015, 01:23 PM   #35
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I've also read that the O2's won't need to be extended. I have a section 1 from DKF which already comes with the EGT and O2 bungs. I've read a few threads from different forums where they successfully used their OEM wires and were able to reach the bottom of the car on S pipe O2 bungs. My euro headers came with the O2 sensors. Should I use those, should I use my OEM ones, or should I buy new ones?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2015, 01:29 PM   #36
OptionlessM
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Quote:
I've also read that the O2's won't need to be extended. I have a section 1 from DKF which already comes with the EGT and O2 bungs. I've read a few threads from different forums where they successfully used their OEM wires and were able to reach the bottom of the car on S pipe O2 bungs. My euro headers came with the O2 sensors. Should I use those, should I use my OEM ones, or should I buy new ones?
When I did it on my M3, you had to uncoil the O2 wire looms that were underneath the plastic engine cover. That gave you enough slack to reach the mid pipe. Keep the OEM ones you have if they are still good.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2015, 07:16 PM   #37
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptionlessM View Post
When I did it on my M3, you had to uncoil the O2 wire looms that were underneath the plastic engine cover. That gave you enough slack to reach the mid pipe. Keep the OEM ones you have if they are still good.
Yea exactly, I'll do just that. As for the O2's, I'm thinking mine are just fine so I'll use my OEM ones. All parts ordered. Thank you for your help OptionlessM. I'll continue posting on your thread Untz as this is the same topic.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 02:46 PM   #38
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ah that's great news that I don't need another gasket. I just got my headers today but i need to order the parts. UntzUntzUntz $66 is cheap. I was gonna go with ECSTuning but BMWparts might be cheaper..

Anyway thank you both for confirming that. Untz when will you do your install? I got my euro headers and S pipe ready to go but I need all the parts. I think I'm just gonna purchase everything you listed as I don't wanna run into any surprises while installing it all.
I will be posting once I get my CPV gasket in. Parents found the package when I wasn't home and threw it away because it came with a blank envelope with a rubber ring in it lol they didn't know I ordered it so they freaked out. I ordered again and will get it this week sometime. I made sure they won't throw it away this time!

And this might be a silly question but what kind of bungs are needed for the EGT and O2 sensors? I know they're universal standard size but the euro bungs seem to be with an angle?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 02:18 AM   #39
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntzUntzUntz View Post
I will be posting once I get my CPV gasket in. Parents found the package when I wasn't home and threw it away because it came with a blank envelope with a rubber ring in it lol they didn't know I ordered it so they freaked out. I ordered again and will get it this week sometime. I made sure they won't throw it away this time!

And this might be a silly question but what kind of bungs are needed for the EGT and O2 sensors? I know they're universal standard size but the euro bungs seem to be with an angle?
Gotta love the parents lol. Including oil change kit and all parts for the header/S pipe swap, I paid $202 at ECS Tuning. Then again, I only ordered 4 head to header bolts out of the 18, and didn't order the 4 bolts and nuts for the header to s pipe. Everything else on the list you provided was ordered.

I haven't seen my US headers yet so I can't compare the bungs to the euro ones. There's a thread I recently read talking about welding the correct type of bungs on the U.S. part.

Here it is:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=414504
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 03:06 AM   #40
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I was too focused on the front of the exhaust system that I completely forgot to order the 2 gaskets that connect the S pipe to the X pipe! I ordered both just now for $13.03 shipped, but I noticed the brand is CRP. Is it critical that these 2 gaskets are OEM or would the CRP be fine?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 04:17 AM   #41
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Gotta love the parents lol. Including oil change kit and all parts for the header/S pipe swap, I paid $202 at ECS Tuning. Then again, I only ordered 4 head to header bolts out of the 18, and didn't order the 4 bolts and nuts for the header to s pipe. Everything else on the list you provided was ordered.

I haven't seen my US headers yet so I can't compare the bungs to the euro ones. There's a thread I recently read talking about welding the correct type of bungs on the U.S. part.

Here it is:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=414504" rel="ugc" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://www.bimmerfes...p?t=414504</a>
Lol it's been a week nothing came in so I ask my parents if anything came in the mail and their like ohhh so that's what it was... And instantly an image appeared in my mind of my rubber gasket out there all alone in the wild with nowhere to go and no CPV to mate with... Sorry for the stretch of text, it was a great loss for me... and it's 2 AM pacific time so my brain doesn't function properly at this time.

Down to business, I actually saw that thread earlier today, doesn't specify if the o2 bungs go with an angle BUT I found this http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=419474&page=2" rel="ugc" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://www.bimmerfes...474&page=2</a> on post #46 he's using 90 degree bungs and it doesn't seem be showing any CEL lights. On page 3, user Kav confirms it on his setup.

Quote:
I was too focused on the front of the exhaust system that I completely forgot to order the 2 gaskets that connect the S pipe to the X pipe! I ordered both just now for $13.03 shipped, but I noticed the brand is CRP. Is it critical that these 2 gaskets are OEM or would the CRP be fine?
I don't think you would need to replace them, if they go bad just swap it out with CRP's. I'ma reuse my OEM ones so I'll let you know how that goes once my CPV gasket comes in lol.

DAMN YOU CALIFORNIA SMOG! I'd rather spend the time and money to extend the o2 wires long enough into someone else's stock ///M... Man I should sleep. Goodnight people.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 09:08 AM   #42
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

Quote:
I reused mine last time I had things apart. I had new ones but the originals looked perfect. No problems. Just make sure they look like they're in good shape and use the CRPs as spares.
      02-23-2015, 10:25 AM   #43
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntzUntzUntz View Post
Lol it's been a week nothing came in so I ask my parents if anything came in the mail and their like ohhh so that's what it was... And instantly an image appeared in my mind of my rubber gasket out there all alone in the wild with nowhere to go and no CPV to mate with... Sorry for the stretch of text, it was a great loss for me... and it's 2 AM pacific time so my brain doesn't function properly at this time.

Down to business, I actually saw that thread earlier today, doesn't specify if the o2 bungs go with an angle BUT I found this http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=419474&page=2" rel="ugc" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://www.bimmerfes...474&page=2</a> on post #46 he's using 90 degree bungs and it doesn't seem be showing any CEL lights. On page 3, user Kav confirms it on his setup.

I don't think you would need to replace them, if they go bad just swap it out with CRP's. I'ma reuse my OEM ones so I'll let you know how that goes once my CPV gasket comes in lol.

DAMN YOU CALIFORNIA SMOG! I'd rather spend the time and money to extend the o2 wires long enough into someone else's stock ///M... Man I should sleep. Goodnight people.
Lol wow I hope you got some sleep! Ok I'm glad you found that thread, that should help. Well I've read that it's recommended to change out gaskets every time an exhaust part is removed. Besides, I don't know what a good gasket looks like so ill probably use the new ones anyway
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 10:26 AM   #44
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by itdnwiwbp View Post
I reused mine last time I had things apart. I had new ones but the originals looked perfect. No problems. Just make sure they look like they're in good shape and use the CRPs as spares.
How can you tell if they're in good condition?
Appreciate 0