ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-09-2018, 08:49 PM   #1
brother i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '06 Alpine White Z4MR

CSL-style 18" on Sepang roadster. As to wheel weight: VMR 703 seem a tad heavier.

TL; DR
Sepang roadster with 18" VMR 703s.

VMR's are ~3lbs heavier (combined for all 4 corners).
(weighing with tires and relying on internet claims for tire weights & stock wheel weights)

So ~5 years ago I used to have a white Z4mr which I bought with CSL replica wheels. I always thought they looked really good -

Unfortunately I only got to drive it for about 2 years, then had to downsize to something more affordable.

About two years ago I could no longer resist the longing for a z4m, and purchased a Sepang Bronze with 48k miles. It was time to get new tires, and as I had a little extra money I decided to get new CSL-lookalike wheels, too. Didn't want to go for 19"-s because of the lasting effect on the tire costs (I usually get relatively expensive tires that don't last too long).

VMR 703's with Continental ExtremeContact Sport (bought directly from VMR) arrived today. I think they look pretty decent:

They are a tad too shiny for my taste, but that will easily be remedied with a little bit of brakedust, hah. Here's a comparison gif between stock / vmrs:

While I was putting the wheels on, I decided to weigh them - together with tires, admittedly - but hey, that was an easy thing for me to do, and tirerack gives approximate weights of the tires - so maybe someone is curious.

So my old tires are stock size Bridgestone s-04, and according to tirerack the fronts weigh 26lbs and rears 29lbs. The new front tires are continental extremecontact sports in 245/40/18, and according to tirerack they should weigh 23lbs; new rears - 275/35/18 - 25lbs. Tire weight difference should be ~3lbs on the front and ~4lbs on the rear.

Front wheels with tire:

According to http://felgenkatalog.auto-treff.com/, stock front wheel should be exactly 11.2kg, hence s-04 that's on it should be exactly 11.6kg - ~25.5lbs. That's 0.5lbs off tirerack claimed weight - but that might be due to it being almost worn out.

In any case, difference for fronts is 1.4kg - ~3lbs. VMR 703 in 18x8.5 seems to weigh exactly the same as stock wheel in 18x8 (possibly up to ~0.5lb more).

Rear wheels with tire:

According to site mentioned above, stock rear wheels should be exactly 11.7kg, hence worn-out s-04 that's on it should be exactly 13.1kg - ~ 28.85lbs. That's only .15lbs off tirerack projection - inconsistent with fronts (but maybe the site has wrong wheel weight? Maybe tirerack has wrong wheel weight? Everything is uncertain!).

In any case, difference for rears is 1.2kg - ~2.6lbs. VMR 703 in 18x9.5 seems to be ~1.4lbs heavier than stock wheels in 18x9.

So the takeaway is - VMR's are ~3lbs heavier (combined for all 4 corners), if we are to trust the internet sources for tire / wheel weights. I still ended up with something lighter, but probably due to my poor choice of tire the last time around.
Appreciate 1
ried791.50
      01-11-2018, 11:00 AM   #2
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Frontier Pro-4X, '06 Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by brother i View Post

For what it's worth, I wouldn't put too much weight on the info taken from the internet (see what I did there? ) but more importantly, what you can measure. Seeing the thread title I thought it was going to end with you gaining unsprung weight but reading the details, it looks like you got wider wheels (8 & 9 -> 8.5 & 9.5), you got wider tires (225 & 245 -> 245 & 275), and you still dropped a total of 5.2Lbs unsprung weight. Nothing to sweat here - the silver CSL style looks tops on Sepang and you've increased the performance of your roadster with the purchase. Sounds like a win to me

I'm a fan of the CSL look too, used to have a set of black V703 on my Z4MR:

| Z4M Build Thread | @violetnites | flickr |
Appreciate 1
VMRWheels2037.00
      01-11-2018, 01:41 PM   #3
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Congrats on the new car! The wheels look great to me. And I really like those side profile photos of your car that show the roadster lines to great advantage. And to think some folks dislike the look of the roadster with the top up. Another CLS fan here too - here are my VMR 718s:

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.

Last edited by Huz-Z; 01-11-2018 at 01:51 PM..
Appreciate 3
RABAUKE4653.00
VMRWheels2037.00
Kefka32.50