ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-06-2024, 02:50 PM   #1
homebrw
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4 MR, 22 Mustang GT PP1

Blue Bus install is kicking my butt

If anyone can help me, I'd sure appreciate it. Install instructions and videos seem non existent for a Z4MR...lots of coupes.

After messing about for 2 hours getting the carpet kind of pushed out of the way (never could figure out how to release the top). Ive removed the amp and the amp bracket. I found the smaller 3 pin cable, but not the second one. I'm attaching a picture and I think this is it, and if so, I am probably screwed. It feels stuck and cannot get to the right side of the plastic blocker that is in the way. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 04:45 PM   #2
wyshyvanuk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 MR

Mine is still sitting on the workbench....got sidetracked by other projects. DO NOT GIVE UP!! I need YOU to be successful to pave the way for MY installation ;~). I'll try to forward this post to the BlueBus Ted. Hopefully he can comment.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 05:25 PM   #3
homebrw
Rep

Ted emailed me and verified that was indeed the wire to the plug I needed.

I finally got it unstuck (just tried for another 20 mins). I used a small machinist's rule to help slide it further right. Finally, magically it came out.

Can't put it back together yet as my shoulders are fried. Bengay and rest. I'll tackle the back-together tomorrow.

Maybe one of the hardest things I have ever tackled on a car! (I've installed a supercharger).

Ted also verified the Z4 is the hardest platform for installing due to the yoga.

I'll report back tomorrow.

Thanks,
Chris
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 05:42 PM   #4
wyshyvanuk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 MR

Nice work, Chris. Any additional info, and pictures, showing how you gained access to that area would be great!!
Ted
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 06:46 PM   #5
Aloyouis2
Private
Rep
Drives: E85 (not E86)

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrw View Post
Ted emailed me and verified that was indeed the wire to the plug I needed.

I finally got it unstuck (just tried for another 20 mins). I used a small machinist's rule to help slide it further right. Finally, magically it came out.

Can't put it back together yet as my shoulders are fried. Bengay and rest. I'll tackle the back-together tomorrow.

Maybe one of the hardest things I have ever tackled on a car! (I've installed a supercharger).

Ted also verified the Z4 is the hardest platform for installing due to the yoga.

I'll report back tomorrow.

Thanks,
Chris
Ted is excellent. If I was able to get bluebus installed in my Z4 Roadster anyone can!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 11:46 AM   #6
homebrw
Rep

Ted is excellent!

That said, this is one of the more PIA jobs I have ever done, and I've done full exhaust swaps several times on Jack stands. All in , I think it took me more than 6 hours. A headers back exhaust swap I can do in less time. I imagine I've set a new record for the longest Bluebus install ever.

Probably a good 2 hours fighting the bulkhead carpet. If I had known that I was never going to get it completely removed, and just had to push it up and sorta, kinda out of the way, I could have saved some time.

The white with stripes cable I needed as one of the 3 Bb plugs was seriously stuck. More than 2 hours trying to free it. I finally got it by sliding a machinist's rule. Most people should not have to deal with that. Suspect the Spartanburg plant had a hand in that.

Finally, it took me another 1.5 hours to get the parcel tray in correctly with the micro switch properly engaged. The switch had to come out and put the metal actuator on too.

I'll bet if I did it a second time (never, ever again!), I could get it done in 3 hours.

Was it worth it? Totally.

Thanks,
Chris
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 12:50 PM   #7
homebrw
Rep

Here are some pics at the end
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-07-2024, 04:37 PM   #8
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Glad you got it figured out I know the feelings as I just spent the morning stripping out the trunk of my coupe in preparation for some dampers refresh and used the opportunity to tidy things up a bit on my previous GROM BT module install. Consider this a learning exercise for a future dampers refresh if you haven't already done so yet I don't what's worse, a coupe or roadster trunk liner removal
Attached Images

Last edited by XMetal; 04-07-2024 at 04:43 PM..
Appreciate 0