ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-14-2011, 09:02 PM   #1
idlook2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 89' 325is x2

Engine mount bolts - 3.0si Coupe

Ive read that the S54 guys have problems with the original engine mount bolts backing out from heat but anyone with an N52 have this problem?

I've been noticing a knocking sound from the front of the car when I'm driving on uneven surfaces and going over bumps. Usually only hear the knock at very low speeds but that might just be because everything is quieter. I mentioned it to a BMW tech when I was in for service but they couldn't replicate the noise and of course I couldn't replicate it when I took a mechanic for a short drive. Now it seems that I'm hearing it more often but the same noise level and pitch. Took a quick look under the hood at the engine bolts (they are beefy torx bolts instead of the S54's hex bolts) but only could see half of the drivers side which looked okay. I am still thinking its the engine mount bolts based on the symptoms and I will probably jack up the passenger side and get a closer look before I bring it in for service again. I hate having a stranger work on my car but I try not to complain when its free under warranty.

My car is a 2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe with 12,000 miles (used to be a garage queen until I bought it). Anyone else hear of non-M engine bolts failing?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 09:17 PM   #2
RevsPlease
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i, Black Saphire

Garage List
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [10.00]
Have you checked your strut tower braces? I read somewhere around here that they can come loose or something and make the noises you describe over bumps and such.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 10:02 PM   #3
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevsPlease View Post
Have you checked your strut tower braces? I read somewhere around here that they can come loose or something and make the noises you describe over bumps and such.
X2. Very common source when you're having those intermittent, hard to track down, in the dash or engine compartment, only over certain types of roads/bumps.....type noises.
      07-14-2011, 10:12 PM   #4
idlook2
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevsPlease View Post
Good thought. Before I saw your post I went back to the car and checked the 4 strut bolts. 1 was just noticably not as tight as the others but I'm not convinced it was loose enough to cause any movement. I'll update here if it's fixed or not.

The day I bought the car and opened the hood to show my dad, I noticed one of those strut brace bolts was very loose showing a few threads. Tightened it back up, checked the others, and never thought it would have to be dealt with again. If that one was the cause of my knocking, I might just get some lock washers in all of them.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 02:59 PM   #5
wassup61
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0SI

Quote:
Originally Posted by idlook2 View Post
Ive read that the S54 guys have problems with the original engine mount bolts backing out from heat but anyone with an N52 have this problem?

I've been noticing a knocking sound from the front of the car when I'm driving on uneven surfaces and going over bumps. Usually only hear the knock at very low speeds but that might just be because everything is quieter. I mentioned it to a BMW tech when I was in for service but they couldn't replicate the noise and of course I couldn't replicate it when I took a mechanic for a short drive. Now it seems that I'm hearing it more often but the same noise level and pitch. Took a quick look under the hood at the engine bolts (they are beefy torx bolts instead of the S54's hex bolts) but only could see half of the drivers side which looked okay. I am still thinking its the engine mount bolts based on the symptoms and I will probably jack up the passenger side and get a closer look before I bring it in for service again. I hate having a stranger work on my car but I try not to complain when its free under warranty.

My car is a 2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe with 12,000 miles (used to be a garage queen until I bought it). Anyone else hear of non-M engine bolts failing?

Where are you in chicago, id gladly take a look at it. Also wrenching on my z tonight
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 07:21 AM   #6
idlook2
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassup61 View Post
Where are you in chicago, id gladly take a look at it. Also wrenching on my z tonight
So far I haven't heard the same noise again after re-tightening all strut bolts. Now I'll know the first place to look if I hear the noise again and will then use some locking washers to make sure they don't loosen.

Thanks for the offer anyways. I live in south loop.
Appreciate 0