ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
CDNBimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i & 09 BMW 128i

Thinking about a 06/07 M Coupe...thoughts?

Hey guys,

Just wanted some different opinions on what I think will be my next car.

The good: Currently I have an e90 335i with the BMW PE and Dinan stage 2 (380HP), 19" VMR 710's (275's on the rear!) with every option available but the sports package, meticoulsy maintained and low mileage (63k)

The bad: It's an auto with no sport package

I'm thinking of a 2006/2007 M coupe. Obviously it will have the manual with the famous M inline 6 (330HP).

Simply put, I am seeking more of a drivers car. I love the 380HP i currently have but it's often useless power. What I mean is theres not a lot of opportunity to open it up for more than a few seconds without facing serious consequences. The M coupe will clearly be strides ahead of my current car in terms of handling.

Do any of you have experience driving both cars? Is there something about the 335's you think I'll miss other than the obvisous (i.e. practicality)? It will be a year round vehicle, so does the M coupe have similar DTC as the 3 series?

Let me know your thoughts? Cheers!

Last edited by CDNBimmer; 06-07-2013 at 03:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

You'll miss the torque. I'm also not sure the M has more "useful" power like you're talking about. It's a blast to drive, but you'll need to head to a track to come close to the limits of its performance. Things get illegal fast

That said, it's much funner car to drive than a 335i. You sit lower, it's noisy, and it feels very tight. My dad has a 335i AT (in stock form, to be fair) and I hate driving that thing.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #3
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I went from a 335i with tune to the Z4MR and love it. No comparison IMO. The 335i is very nice and very refined. I got kind of tired of that and wanted something more raw and "pure". The 335i may very well be faster, but the Z4M will FEEL faster and give you a much more fun ride.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 10:57 PM   #4
CDNBimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Exactly what i was hoping to hear.

Thanks for the feedback thus far!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 04:50 AM   #5
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Love the Coupe!!! Nuff said bub ; )
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 06:12 AM   #6
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

I don't have a 335, but an e90 328 with sport package and lowered on kw's, and an z4mc on h&r coilovers. The e90 still feels like a sedan, the coupe just has a special/exciting feeling to it when I drive it. Definelty a more raw and engaging car, and more fun to drive even at low speeds
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 11:00 AM   #7
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

The grass will always seem greener on the other side :/

Since you already have the 335, I think you should honestly keep it. An M coupe is fun and all but is not nearly as good a daily all-around car like a 3er.

And it's not like your 335 isn't already fast

I just think the tradeoffs aren't worth it. Best case scenario? Own both cars lol!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #8
wonton180
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

^^^ WHS

At least, look into the current value of selling your 335i (auto) and get a 335i manual with sport package. You appear to be hunting for more aggressive handling (which the Z4M provides!) but the 3er isn't that bad. Especially, if you are looking for an all year driver. The Z4M definitely doesn't really provide all year comfort like a 3-series!

At least drive a 335i manual, sport and see if it would be engaging enough compared to the Z4M. It's a lot cheaper switchup unless you can outright afford both cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 11:59 AM   #9
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Had a conversation with a track buddy while eating dinner at Willow Ranch in Buttonwillow after BMW CCA Central Cal's one day HPDE. He said that the MZ4 Coupe is the last BMW designed with a single purpose in mind.

That, apparently is no longer BMW's philosophy. Is it good or bad? I don't know. All I know is, it is incredibly difficult for me to fathom owning an MZ4 Coupe and not want to drive the motherf**king PISS out of it. And I also know that, if it weren't for the fact I have a Veloster Turbo, I probably would have traded in the MZ4 Coupe for something that suits my currently family situation better. Like a 3 series wagon.

So you mentioned the obvious. Practicality. Unless you have another, less extreme car in the garage to use, you will eventually grow tired of the MZ4 Coupe. Look at the Classified section at this forum. It's got quite a few members forced to sell their MZ4 Coupe because of changes in life. I gotta tell you, even before my daughter was born, I had a lot of pressure from my wife to sell my MZ4 Coupe. I have held firm for 5+ years, and in fact have told her that in no uncertain terms will I EVER sell my car.

Although a friend did make a very convincing offer recently. He offered to pay for my girl's college education in exchange for my MZ4 Coupe. I gave that more than a few second's worth of consideration. Then turned it down.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #10
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
They are a great car. Only downside for me is the cockpit has no room and I had to let it go due to my lower back taking a beating over time. Moved over to an E92 M3 and love the technology upgrade and room. I love the looks of the Z4MC more than the E92 M3 but the comfort is just not there.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #11
CDNBimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Great feedback everyone. Much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #12
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless619 View Post
They are a great car. Only downside for me is the cockpit has no room and I had to let it go due to my lower back taking a beating over time. Moved over to an E92 M3 and love the technology upgrade and room. I love the looks of the Z4MC more than the E92 M3 but the comfort is just not there.
good to see you still around endless! Although it seems to me you go back and forth on the verdict of which car looks better!

TO the op:

I may be able to help. My sister has an automatic 135i and i happen to rent a house with her so i get to drive it pretty regularly. The biggest thing that will bug you is the power. The 135i is just so torquey. You dont even have to hit the gas that hard to feel like your being pulled into your seat. the M coupe on the other hand is more like a jet taking off. It takes a minute to fully get into the powerband, but its a total blast from there. The M feels much more competent and well built. I love the look of the car and it gets endless compliments. The interior is so spartan but very perfect, It reminds me of an old British sports car.

For me, this is the biggest feature about the car and the reason its the only car ive owned to own the designation of "car im never going to part with". Personality. It has personality for days and feels so raw while to me, the 135i just feels a little artificial. Damn good, but the best word for it is artificial. Im a die hard sports car guy and im young so for me ive never even noticed a lack of room (a set of golf clubs fit, barely. But it fits)

At the end of the day drive as many different ones as you can and compare. You will never be as fast in the M unless you supercharge it, and furthermore you sort of have to wring it out to get the best of it. (which is both good and bad if you ask me). For me, there isnt any other car id rather own.

Good luck and happy motoring.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 11:38 PM   #13
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

My "change of life" was decades ago when I was 23 and bought my first house.
Had only the MR2. Needed a lawn mower, some ladders, garbage cans, ... you name it.
First step was to go buy a Suburban.
Since then have always had one 2 seat sports car and one Suburban.
Covers the spectrum.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #14
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by txz4 View Post
good to see you still around endless! Although it seems to me you go back and forth on the verdict of which car looks better!

TO the op:

I may be able to help. My sister has an automatic 135i and i happen to rent a house with her so i get to drive it pretty regularly. The biggest thing that will bug you is the power. The 135i is just so torquey. You dont even have to hit the gas that hard to feel like your being pulled into your seat. the M coupe on the other hand is more like a jet taking off. It takes a minute to fully get into the powerband, but its a total blast from there. The M feels much more competent and well built. I love the look of the car and it gets endless compliments. The interior is so spartan but very perfect, It reminds me of an old British sports car.

For me, this is the biggest feature about the car and the reason its the only car ive owned to own the designation of "car im never going to part with". Personality. It has personality for days and feels so raw while to me, the 135i just feels a little artificial. Damn good, but the best word for it is artificial. Im a die hard sports car guy and im young so for me ive never even noticed a lack of room (a set of golf clubs fit, barely. But it fits)

At the end of the day drive as many different ones as you can and compare. You will never be as fast in the M unless you supercharge it, and furthermore you sort of have to wring it out to get the best of it. (which is both good and bad if you ask me). For me, there isnt any other car id rather own.

Good luck and happy motoring.
You are so right. In stock form the E92 M3 looks like shit. In stock form the Z4MC looks aged but still better than the E92 M3. In modified condition the Z4MC look much better than the E92 M3. But like you said some days I switch. lol
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 09:29 PM   #15
pal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

The Z4M Coupe is an excellent sports car and for the current prices on a used one, you'd be hard pressed to find something equivalent. The S54 engine is very satisfying with its mid range and top end power and sound, the chassis is nimble and the interior is spartan but quite nice and wears well over time.

The trunk/hatch is very roomy and you will be surprised how much can be piled in there especially with some planning.

Three modifications that pay off well to sort out the car are-

(1) Headers- bring some much needed low end and mid range torque.
(2) Coilovers- I found V3s make the car much more comfortable and compliant as a daily driver while making on track behavior better as well.
(3) Trans mounts - sharpen up shift feel and reduce mishifts

All 3 are noriceable improvents on the street. Other that that, keep all fluids fresh and clean, stay within valve adjustement cycles and enjoy the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #16
CDNBimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

So I found a 2006 M coupe with 53,000kms or roughly 33,000 miles. The car is very clean with some minor cosmetic blemishes but has had the engine replaced 11,000kms or 6,800miles ago because of the vanos issue. BMW has performed the service its entire hisotry including the engine swap.

Do you see this as a good thing or something I should be concerned about?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #17
boehm330
Swagasaurus
United_States
Rep
Drives: LMB M3, IB Z4MC, Topaz 330Ci

Do it. Do it. Do it.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #18
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

The only way to definitively answer your question(s) is to go out and do a test drive. Once you do, you'll be placing a signature on some piece of paper.
      06-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #19
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Been kind of busy lately and haven't been keeping up, but here's my feedback.

I have the best of both worlds because my wife's car is a 2011 335is Coupe. We use her car for longer trips, anytime we want a quieter, more comfortable ride, and anytime we need to transport anything larger than a breadbox. Her car is also the track car a few times a year, since BMW CCA doesn't allow Roadsters on the track. I still enjoy driving her car, but as others have said, the M is a much rawer car and is a completely different driving experience.

Appreciate 0