ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-13-2012, 07:04 AM   #45
orfanidis360
Greece
Rep
Drives: Bmw Z4 E85

I didnt get what kind of oil it is..?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #46
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by orfanidis360 View Post
I didnt get what kind of oil it is..?
What don't you understand?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #47
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Resurrecting this now-relevant-to-me thread

I just got my kit in the mail yesterday and I'm eager to to this over the weekend. Trouble is it's now winter and even in California it's only about 65 degrees out. Would the seat heaters and maybe blasting the AC on max hot for a while every couple hours be enough heat you think? Or should I wait?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 05:38 PM   #48
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

I haven't done this yet, but every review/DIY I've seen recommends a good amount of heat. Even a sunny day with 65 degree weather should provide some heat inside the car that's well above ambient temperature, but it's probably not going to work as well as summer heat.

You could wait, and do a more simple cleaning with damp (not wet) cloth and then something like Spinneybeck cleaner/preserver. Cleaning every 2 weeks/month with a damp cloth is key to keeping things looking good and keeping dust/dirt from working into the leather (and causing wear).

Then again, if the leather is in need of some good conditioning, now is better than later. Do it now, and again next May when there is more heat. Unless you live in SF, in which case you'll just have to pick a day with as little fog as possible.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 09:33 PM   #49
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Do it now, and again next May when there is more heat.
Will do, good thing there's enough in the bottle for 2 rounds
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #50
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
Resurrecting this now-relevant-to-me thread

I just got my kit in the mail yesterday and I'm eager to to this over the weekend. Trouble is it's now winter and even in California it's only about 65 degrees out. Would the seat heaters and maybe blasting the AC on max hot for a while every couple hours be enough heat you think? Or should I wait?
Personally, I would wait. You need a 90+ degree day where you can really bake the car. That and while covering the seats you'll get max potential out of the product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
I haven't done this yet, but every review/DIY I've seen recommends a good amount of heat. Even a sunny day with 65 degree weather should provide some heat inside the car that's well above ambient temperature, but it's probably not going to work as well as summer heat.

You could wait, and do a more simple cleaning with damp (not wet) cloth and then something like Spinneybeck cleaner/preserver. Cleaning every 2 weeks/month with a damp cloth is key to keeping things looking good and keeping dust/dirt from working into the leather (and causing wear).

Then again, if the leather is in need of some good conditioning, now is better than later. Do it now, and again next May when there is more heat. Unless you live in SF, in which case you'll just have to pick a day with as little fog as possible.
I personally use the Prestine Clean to general keep-up. You don't use nearly as much per application of the Oil, and it helps keep everything in perfect condition.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #51
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Agree, heat makes it work. The only caveat being if the seats are in bad shape now is better than later, especially if it's a DD. Otherwise a good clean and protect with Prestine or similar is perfect for the meantime.
Appreciate 0