ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-26-2017, 04:38 PM   #1
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Torque Wet or Dry for Connecting Rod Bolts

I have been reading the various DIYs on rod bearing replacement, and I know on the ARP bolts, they recommend using their lube on the threads and head before torquing. However, for OEM rod bolts, the official TIS mentions nothing about oiling the rod bolts or using assembly lube for the bolts.

My thinking is that BMW doesn't mention lubricating the rod bolts, because the rod threads are already wet with oil, so the bolt will be lubricated slightly with 10W60 as it is threaded, and their torque procedure accounts for this.

For our resident engineers and engine building experts, does that sound right? It looks on the surface like a dry torque, but it's actually a wet torque?

I know, I'm probably overthinking all this, but I want to make sure I do it right. Thanks all for your input and patience while I hash all this out.

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 04:56 PM   #2
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

I would vote for wet.
Like you say, they're going to be oily already.
The amount of effort required to get them dry would be worth mentioning in the TIS if it were a requirement.
      10-26-2017, 06:13 PM   #3
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

OEM bolts are torque to yield (angle torqued multiple times)? They need to be dry IMO.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 2
SaltyNC369.50
ZAR4MC93.00
      10-27-2017, 02:37 AM   #4
ZAR4MC
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
OEM bolts are torque to yield (angle torqued multiple times)? They need to be dry IMO.
agree with Hack, my new OEM bolts where also dry when torqued.
Appreciate 1
SaltyNC369.50
      10-27-2017, 10:33 AM   #5
steffenme1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 MCoupe

I know the BMW torque spec sheet says this.

To be fair I'm genuinely unsure if that document started life as an actual BMW document or if it's 100% home-grown. I know the TIS doesn't mention it either way.

Appreciate 1
SaltyNC369.50
      10-27-2017, 11:02 AM   #6
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Usually rodbolts and similar situations (inside the engine) are torqued wet.
For the s54 bmw has written this elaborate instruction for multiple torquing and maybe they forgot that.
For all other bmw eninges its wet.
Also its virtually impossible to do it dry, because you're not going to clean out the holes with a solvent and a cotton bud (and oil is still dripping inside that hole because you have to lube the crank and bearings). Thats why bolts inside the engine are usually torqued wet.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 2
SaltyNC369.50
StickMon636.00
      10-27-2017, 12:19 PM   #7
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Also its virtually impossible to do it dry, because you're not going to clean out the holes with a solvent and a cotton bud (and oil is still dripping inside that hole because you have to lube the crank and bearings).
That's what I was thinking. They were so elaborate with the other instructions, and they specifically say to "moisten" the bearing shells with 10W60. If they had wanted the rod threads to be sprayed down with MAF cleaner or similar and wanted the threads wiped clean inside the rod, they would have said so. I think they assumed the procedure would be done with the residual oil on the rod threads, so there was no need to lube the bolt, because it was going in a wet hole (ahemmm).

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 01:58 PM   #8
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

If youre going to do the shells yourself, once you're done dont start the engine.
First remove the plugs, turn the crank manually with a ratchet, pull the fuel pump fuse and crank it until you have oil pressure.
Appreciate 1
ZAR4MC93.00
      10-27-2017, 09:31 PM   #9
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
If youre going to do the shells yourself, once you're done dont start the engine.
First remove the plugs, turn the crank manually with a ratchet, pull the fuel pump fuse and crank it until you have oil pressure.
Thanks for the advice, Guido. I appreciate it. Luckily, I did have that in my notes. There are some very thorough DIYs on the M3 forums, some here, videos on YouTube, hints and tips in forum follow-ups, etc. It's scattered about, but amazing how much information is available for us.

If I don't get in over my head on this, I'll document everything on the Z4M, and make up a thorough DIY for us.

Salty
Appreciate 1
Finnegan701.00