ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-19-2017, 12:43 PM   #1
CTHuskyinMA
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 Z4 3.0

Loose cigarette lighter socket

Because I haven't installed an aux port yet, I picked up an FM wireless Bluetooth thing that has an lcd display on it. It plugs into the cigarette lighter. When I pull anything out of said cigarette lighter, the fit is so tight that it pulls the damn lighter receptacle out of the tray. Is there a way to lock this thing in place? I took the tray out to look at the back of the lighter socket and I think I have identified the problem. It looks like there used to be two plastics tab that would have retained the socket, but they may have sheared off cleanly. I tried pushing these in, but they wouldn't move.

Also, on the box of the wireless adapter, it says the power draw is 45ma working current and 25ma standby current. Would it be ok to leave it plugged in all the time? There is no power button and the lcd display stays on all the time. I can go two weeks without starting the car (that won't be the case now that the weather has turned, but it'll be days anyway.)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 10:24 AM   #2
MinneapolisJeff
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

almost positive I've searched on this problem before, with similar posts asking for the same thing- a way to lock in the receptacle... I don't know if anyone has come up with a good solution

I'm interested in this as well since I have an XM Snap radio sitting in my receptacle and have the same issue pulling it out
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 10:59 AM   #3
CTHuskyinMA
United_States
Rep

Yeah, I've searched the three most common forums and haven't found an answer. I'm nearly sure it is the two tabs I'm pointing to in the photos. I'm thinking about taking it out again and trying to melt them inward to get them to lock into the metal slots. Not sure if a heat gun or soldering iron is the way to go. Every plug I put into the lighter socket is extremely tight and pulls it right out.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 11:27 AM   #4
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Put a cable tie around it?
Maybe with some JB Weld.
      05-25-2017, 08:31 AM   #5
Eau_Rouge111
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i and 2007 Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTHuskyinMA View Post
Because I haven't installed an aux port yet, I picked up an FM wireless Bluetooth thing that has an lcd display on it. It plugs into the cigarette lighter. When I pull anything out of said cigarette lighter, the fit is so tight that it pulls the damn lighter receptacle out of the tray. Is there a way to lock this thing in place? I took the tray out to look at the back of the lighter socket and I think I have identified the problem. It looks like there used to be two plastics tab that would have retained the socket, but they may have sheared off cleanly. I tried pushing these in, but they wouldn't move.

Also, on the box of the wireless adapter, it says the power draw is 45ma working current and 25ma standby current. Would it be ok to leave it plugged in all the time? There is no power button and the lcd display stays on all the time. I can go two weeks without starting the car (that won't be the case now that the weather has turned, but it'll be days anyway.)

You managed to find a brand that did not produce static noise? I tried 3 of them before giving up and just getting the aux port installed. Works like a charm now
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 05:24 PM   #6
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
I'm with Stickmon on the JB Weld. You can mix up some JB, sand a little on the metal sleeve to roughen the surface, then place two little humps of JB just below the plastic sleeve. That should prevent it from coming out. Increase bump as needed.

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2017, 12:06 PM   #7
CTHuskyinMA
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eau_Rouge111 View Post
You managed to find a brand that did not produce static noise? I tried 3 of them before giving up and just getting the aux port installed. Works like a charm now
Yeah, actually not bad at all. I got one for me and one for my daughter's Jeep. She uses hers every day and loves it. I'm not using mine yet because the weather has been lousy again for the last week in MA, plus, I am hesitant to keep it plugged in with constant power and the display being on all the time. Did you get a Bluetooth adaptor to go in the aux port? I don't care about music as much as hands free for the phone.

I've never used JB Weld, but it sounds worth a try. I am skeptical because the wall thickness if the metal sleeve is like a knife. I feel it will shear a blob of epoxy off. I'm leaning toward the melting inward of the plastic into those slots.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2017, 12:18 PM   #8
Eau_Rouge111
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i and 2007 Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTHuskyinMA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eau_Rouge111 View Post
Yeah, actually not bad at all. I got one for me and one for my daughter's Jeep. She uses hers every day and loves it. I'm not using mine yet because the weather has been lousy again for the last week in MA, plus, I am hesitant to keep it plugged in with constant power and the display being on all the time. Did you get a Bluetooth adaptor to go in the aux port? I don't care about music as much as hands free for the phone.

I've never used JB Weld, but it sounds worth a try. I am skeptical because the wall thickness if the metal sleeve is like a knife. I feel it will shear a blob of epoxy off. I'm leaning toward the melting inward of the plastic into those slots.
No...this aux adapter per the pic...works great!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 02:35 AM   #9
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTHuskyinMA View Post
... I've never used JB Weld, but it sounds worth a try. I am skeptical because the wall thickness if the metal sleeve is like a knife. I feel it will shear a blob of epoxy off. I'm leaning toward the melting inward of the plastic into those slots.
J-B Weld is wicked. You can't shear it off, it's doped with iron dust. Hard as iron.
Like Salty said, rough up the surface a little bit so it gets a good bite.
It's a 12 hour cure, so it'll try and flow for quite a while. You may have to do one side at a time.
J-B Kwik may be a good alternative. Still pretty strong, but a 4 hour cure.
But my first try would be to just cinch a hefty cable tie around it, and add epoxy if the cable tie slips.