ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-06-2011, 12:45 AM   #1
bucko521
More of this than that!
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0i, Z3 2.5i

Thumbs up MOD - Gaptech Remote Controlled Hood Plus (RCH+)

I recently received my Gaptech Remote Controlled Hood Plus (RCH+) module and installed it today. Maybe 20 minutes total work, and I was being cautious.

The module works perfect. I posted a video of the operation. I must say this is a fantastic mod for anyone with a convertible Z4 or Z4MR.

In the video I was holding the unlock button, or the lock button...but I guess once you engage the sequence...there is not need to 'hold' the button as I did in the video.

Shipping from the guy in the UK was very very fast!

http://www.gap-tech.co.uk/rchp.html

'06 Z4 3.0i Jet Black/ Biege/Black
Leather / Premium Package / DICE Silverline DUO / Stubby Antenna / Matte Black Grill
Ultimate Cup Holder x2 / Gaptech RCH+ / First Aid storagebox x2 / Acrylic Wind Deflector
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 01:22 AM   #2
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

I so want this, but the only thing I wonder is how it acts when the hardtop is on the car. If the car is aware of the hardtop and disables the softtop, will this over ride it? What happens when the top tries to go up and cant?
      06-06-2011, 02:38 AM   #3
alvinli217
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Imola RED dIrTy Z4MR - SOLD

mine opens with just holding the unlock button

i thought this thing was suppose to work without needing to hold on the unlock button to have the top down.

the only thing i see different is the windows go back up after the top is down
RPI scoop|BMC drop in filter|EAS V1 aluminum mount|ZHP shiftknob|RHO plate holder|matte black grill|LED interior & license plate light|RE SSK|RE tranny mount|UUC engine mount|Bavarian CDV|clutch stop|18" Forgestar CF5 GOLD|RPI exhaust|H&R coilovers| RE RSM|
coming soon: aFe intake|tune|secondary cat delete|

Last edited by alvinli217; 06-06-2011 at 11:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
phylo
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4

What did the shipping cost to get the unit to the US? How hard was the install?

Phil
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 07:27 PM   #5
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by psygnosis View Post
I so want this, but the only thing I wonder is how it acts when the hardtop is on the car. If the car is aware of the hardtop and disables the softtop, will this over ride it? What happens when the top tries to go up and cant?
The car is aware of the hard top. There are two hall effect sensors in the two round mounting holes of the mechanism that the hard top fits into.

Hardtop locating points

Contact plates are fitted in each of the two hardtop locating points at the main convertible top bearings. Each contact plate has a contact for power supply of the rear window heating and a contact for hardtop detection.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 08:40 AM   #6
bucko521
More of this than that!
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I can't answer this, but contact the vendor...he provides very good support. I'd don't have a hardtop

Link is in original post.

Leather / Premium Package / DICE Silverline DUO / Stubby Antenna / Matte Black Grill
Ultimate Cup Holder x2 / Gaptech RCH+ / First Aid storagebox x2 / Acrylic Wind Deflector
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 08:45 AM   #7
bucko521
More of this than that!
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinli217 View Post
mine opens with just holding the unlock button

i thought this thing was suppose to work without needing to hold on the unlock button to have the top down.

the only thing i see different is the windows go back up after the top is down

Okay....this module (RCH+) does the following:
1) when using console buttons for top down - single button push, let go, and top goes down - no holding down until process is done (top down)

2) Same as # 1, but in reverse order.

3) Key Fob - top down - same as factory, but you do not need to hold unlock button.

4) Key Fob - Top up - North American models do not work - this unit allows top up with key fob - unlock, unlock, lock combo, then release, top goes up now, as well as windows up, and doors lock.

Not just windows up as some thought.
I hope this helps....

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 08:55 AM   #8
bucko521
More of this than that!
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phylo View Post
What did the shipping cost to get the unit to the US? How hard was the install?

Phil
Phil, literally the install took 20 minutes tops (including removing/installing console).

The cost shipped was £105.98 shipped or $170.10 Canadian (similar to USD).

By far the best mod I have spent dollars on so far.

www.gap-tech.co.uk

Features
Dual module gives you both the "One Touch Hood" and "Remote Control Hood" features in one device.

Micro - controlled roof module for the BMW Z4 E85 roadster 2003 - 2008.

Operate the roof using your existing BMW key fob.

Three clicks of the unlock button will open the windows, drop the roof and then put the windows back up, all as you approach the car or load up the trunk.

Two clicks of the unlock button followed by one click of the lock will cause the windows and roof to raise and lock the car.

Because you are not clicking twice on the lock button your interior movement or tilt sensors will not get disabled as will occur with other remote modules.

A single click of either button while the roof is moving will cause the roof to halt its movement.

Also incorporates the One Touch Hood function.

No need to hold your dash buttons down to operate the roof, simply press for 0.5 seconds and then let go.

The roof will continue on its own whilst you pull away from a red light, maneuver into/away from a parking space or change the CD.

A quick press of either button when the roof is moving will cause the hood to halt.

Microprocessor controlled for trouble free and flexible operation.

Very simple to install, only five wires to connect. No need to cut any existing wiring.

12 month's warranty. Rapid email support, 7 days a week.

Supplied with all fixings and detailed installation instructions with pictures.

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 10:26 AM   #9
psygnosis
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
The car is aware of the hard top. There are two hall effect sensors in the two round mounting holes of the mechanism that the hard top fits into.

Hardtop locating points

Contact plates are fitted in each of the two hardtop locating points at the main convertible top bearings. Each contact plate has a contact for power supply of the rear window heating and a contact for hardtop detection.
Hardtop detection has to be turned on at the dealer :/
      06-08-2011, 02:15 PM   #10
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Quote:
Hardtop detection has to be turned on at the dealer :/
Did not know that one. All the wiring is in place and hooked up to the module.

Good info.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 07:28 PM   #11
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

wait so if i buy a hardtop from say ...tischer i still have to go to my dealer to install it?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 07:29 PM   #12
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

now im thinkning i wont get the hard top, ill just go for this.....
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #13
psygnosis
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4-Villalona View Post
wait so if i buy a hardtop from say ...tischer i still have to go to my dealer to install it?
No, there's an option for the car to disable the softtop when the hardtop is installed. It just has to be turned on. Otherwise well, you just don't push the buttons to open and close the top.

You still need to install the hardtop prep kit, a couple locks/receivers that get installed just behind the doors.
      06-11-2011, 07:38 PM   #14
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is

Quote:
No, there's an option for the car to disable the softtop when the hardtop is installed. It just has to be turned on. Otherwise well, you just don't push the buttons to open and close the top.

You still need to install the hardtop prep kit, a couple locks/receivers that get installed just behind the doors.
+1 on "dont push the button" I have both and dont think I'm gonna have the hardtop option turned on. First I heard of this. I just kinda assumed that it was part of the retrofit kit wiring. But being BMW, the masters of the art of, "ripping you off" for every little thing, it kinda makes sense.
2011 E93 335is - current fav
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 05:35 AM   #15
biscuits
Dimmer than a dim thing
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS, EQC, X5 40d, simrig

Garage List
anyone got the installation manual handy ?

P
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 04:45 PM   #16
WestCDA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4R 3.0si

It's posted over on Bimmerfest, with permission of the supplier. If you email Gary at Gaptech, I'm sure he'd be happy to email you a copy as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 12:02 PM   #17
nadaclue
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Urban Green 2003 3.0

I thought it was interesting that Gary had decided to sell these into North America, I had contacted him back in late March when he announced he was going to make them and he wouldn't sell me one since I'm in the US.

Then I saw he disabled the remote top up for the North American cars.

He told me the reason he wouldn't initially sell me one was he felt that people from the US were too litigious and he didn't want to deal with someone hurting themselves with the top since there is no safety sensor in case something (i.e. body part) is in the way of the top closing.

The whole reason I wanted this was for the remote top up, so it'd be easier to get out of the car and have the top go up as I walked away. Being 6'4", it's just easier to climb in and out without the top in the way.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #18
Nhopkins1394
Accountant, 1st Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roadster, Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadaclue View Post
I thought it was interesting that Gary had decided to sell these into North America, I had contacted him back in late March when he announced he was going to make them and he wouldn't sell me one since I'm in the US.

Then I saw he disabled the remote top up for the North American cars.

He told me the reason he wouldn't initially sell me one was he felt that people from the US were too litigious and he didn't want to deal with someone hurting themselves with the top since there is no safety sensor in case something (i.e. body part) is in the way of the top closing.

The whole reason I wanted this was for the remote top up, so it'd be easier to get out of the car and have the top go up as I walked away. Being 6'4", it's just easier to climb in and out without the top in the way.

Ditto. This has to be THE MOST important mod I could ever have added to my convertible. By far.
I ,too, am 6'6" and I want to get out, walk away, and have the top go back up and lock.
It is a dream come true!
I must have bought mine around the end of March or so.
30 minutes to install (including.....but then, I read the whole manual first.)

Works Great.
Oh, I have to hold the key to my head like Jeremy on Top Gear. I must look so funny but it woks every time!
      07-05-2011, 01:08 PM   #19
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Same here. I got in on the z4-forum group buy, and at first he wouldn't ship to the US. So I had a friend re-send it to me from the UK. At the end of the group buy he was shipping to a few people in the US.

I love mine and think it's a great upgrade. Only issue I have is that occasionally when putting the top up it won't register the lock door (so the top will go up so it is getting the signal, but the module eats that last "lock" command so the car doesn't lock the doors).

It's not a huge deal because I can just press it again and lock after the top/windows have gone up. At some point though I have to check my wiring. Anyone else having this issue?
      07-06-2011, 10:41 AM   #20
bucko521
More of this than that!
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
Only issue I have is that occasionally when putting the top up it won't register the lock door (so the top will go up so it is getting the signal, but the module eats that last "lock" command so the car doesn't lock the doors).

At some point though I have to check my wiring. Anyone else having this issue?
Mine has been perfect since I installed it. Never had an issue with the locking. I'd contact Gary and see if he has any ideas. Best mod I have done on my car to date.

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 12:03 AM   #21
COLIN///M
Backroads
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
anyone got the installation manual handy?

Here ya go. See pdf file in Attached Images section below.

+1 on the mod.

I did the install with solder instead of the connectors and the unit works fine / exactly as advertised - which is a joy.

As you can see the instructions are clear and the job simple enough.

My purchase was online and I got the RCH+ unit. I paid via PayPal and it cost me $218.31 total after conversion (your cost may vary as it depends on the exchange rate that day).

If you are in the US and ordering online choose the Europe shipping price which is L9.99 - This is the same price to US. It was shipped to my home address via Royal Mail with all trade fees included in that price. I had to sign for the shipment when it arrived via USPS.

Cheers
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf GapTech_RCH_Instructions.pdf (874.2 KB, 1554 views)

Last edited by COLIN///M; 07-07-2011 at 08:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 01:39 PM   #22
Donovan303
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 2.5 Z4

Looks like a really nice mod, if only the windows would stay down as the top goes down.

It is the only reason I have not ordered one yet.
Appreciate 0