ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-30-2007, 07:45 PM   #45
AlanL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 328ix Sports Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 155MPH View Post
So, in a couple of years when I have stone chips and you have peeling edges that are white, brittle and frayed from being in the sun (because ultraviolet light breaks down plastic) which will look better (or worse)?
Once my clear bra gets hammered to the point you describe, I can simply take it off and have a new one put on while the rock chipped paint job still looks like a rock chipped paint job.

I recently removed a pretty hammered clear bra on my Honda S2000 before I traded it in and the paint underneath looked like it was brand new. I had taken so many rocks in the nose of the car that the clear bra looked like it had gone through a war.
      06-30-2007, 09:20 PM   #46
imz4n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 3,0 si TITANIUM SIlVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanL View Post
I recently removed a pretty hammered clear bra on my Honda S2000 before I traded it in and the paint underneath looked like it was brand new. I had taken so many rocks in the nose of the car that the clear bra looked like it had gone through a war.

That sounds like the responce I would be looking for. Did you wax it AlanL or did you use a plastic cleaner?: confused2
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2007, 09:54 PM   #47
155MPH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 sDrive28i M Performance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by takedown8 View Post
The Z4 with the clear bra will look better than yours for 5 years, and then at the 5 years, 1 day mark, yours will look better. But then at the 5 years, 2 day mark, when all your rock chips start to rust, then the clear bra car will look better again.
Okay, we will meet up in 5 years and a couple of days and compare...
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2007, 10:03 PM   #48
AlanL
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imz4n View Post

That sounds like the responce I would be looking for. Did you wax it AlanL or did you use a plastic cleaner?: confused2
Yes. I was initially advised to use wax on the clear bras but I have read about carnauba yellowing plastic far too many times to ignore it. At the moment I am using an acrylic sealant (Menzerna FMJ) on my car anyway so I have been extending my coverage from the paintwork with that. I would think that a plastic cleaner/polish like Plexus or Blackfire's equivalent would also work fine.
      06-30-2007, 10:04 PM   #49
AlanL
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 155MPH View Post
Okay, we will meet up in 5 years and a couple of days and compare...
Sounds fine with me. All I have to do is peel the clear bra off and I will have unblemished paint underneath.....