ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
DataStream18
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 ESS TS1 Z4

Garage List
M54 Fuel Pump DIY

Ok the first thing you need to know is this is in no way shape or form what you should do, its an option and I am in no was liable for YOUR mistakes.

Now ONWARD! SPELLING AND GRAMMAR DOES NOT COUNT!

Tools you will need:

8mm 1/4 socket
10mm 1/4 socket
3" 1/4 extension
1/4 Ratchet
13mm 3/8 socket
16mm 3/8 socket
3" 3/8 Extension
6" 3/8 Extension
3/8 Ratchet
Large Flat head screw driver
Small flat head screw driver
Hammer
Dirty clothes because you will smell like gas!
Shop towels
Bucket

You can release the pressure on your fuel system from your engine bay but I forgot how to do that so this is the way I did mine.

Before you start this make sure you have almost ZERO gas in your tank other wise you will have to siphon the gas out or let the gas fall in a clean pan after the service port screw cap is removed and reused after filtering.

Start by removing the left (if facing front) rear cross member bolts (2) using the 16mm socket (part 5 in picture) and set aside. Next remove the reinforment cover plate screws (6-8) using the 8mm socket and lay aside. Next remove the reinforcment plate bolts ((6) #6 in picture) using the 16mm socket. Next using the 13mm socket remove the exhaust hanger nuts (2)

IF YOU CAN or IF ITS EASIER TO remove your exhaust system from the headers/ cats back and lay it aside. If you can't undo the rear exhaust hanger bolts (4) and let it hang down, don't worry it will be fine.

If you have a buddy this would be a good time get get him/her to help you.

Remove the heat shield bolts using the 8mm and 10mm sockets, there is one towards the rear under the exhaust. Be mindful where they go, there is one plastic one in the front. What I've found works is proping the exhaust down with a block of wood to get it outta the way a little. You will now be able to see the service port on the gas tank.

Here comes the fun part.

First unplug the connector on the center of the service port and get out of the way. Remove the service screw using your hammer and screw driver, remember lefty loosy righty tighty! There is a fuel supply line they I didnt remove because I didn't know how so I left it and worked around it. Once that's off take your screw driver and slowly pry the fuel filter assembly (#2 in picture) out of the service port. Make sure you have a bucket b/c you have some residual gas. Let drain. After all the gas is drained enough (and you have yur exhaust still on) have your buddy pull down on the muffler or using your 2x4 roughly 18" in length, pull out the fuel filter and you will see one connector and 2 hoses. Remove the connector and let dangle in side the tank. On that connector there is a blue and yellow clip, remove the yellow from the blue one, you'll see how when you look at it.

Next step BE VERY CAREFUL OF THIS NEXT STEP AS GAS WILL SPRAY OUT remove the black fuel line on the bottom of the filter very carefully, have a shop towel or 3 handy. Next remove the accordion clip at the bottom of the fuel filter and finagle the fuel filter outta the way.

This part you may want to have long gloves on becuase you will be sticking your hands straight into gas.

Reach your hand into the tank and feel for the pump (#1 in picture above). At the top is a fuel line, just pull up and you will hear a pop. Than In the front at the bottom of the pump you will feel a small clip that holds it in place. What I did was turn my hand upside down so the thumb is facing the front and my index finger was facing the rear, like you're holding it upside down than use a small 3" screw driver to to push on the clip and pop it up. Once it's free remove the screw driver,set aside and carefully finagle the pump assembly out of the service port, the float might get in the way but it just pops off so dont be to scared if you hear a popping or crunching noise. Once the pump assembly is out drain excess in your bucket-o-gas.

Remove old gasket and replace with new one. Next slide your new pump assembly in carefully and clip into place, theres a clip on the back so it only goes one way. Idiot proof sort of. Than slide the tube that you took off the top of the old pump assembly and pop it in to place. Reconnect the connectors and connect it back to the fuel filter. Connect the hoses in the same place you removed them from, slide the filter in the port. Put the screw back in place tighten down with your screw driver and hammer. RECONNECT the connector to the fuel filter, i forgot the first time.

If i forgot anything I'm sorry just shoot me a message and Ill correct it.

Hope this all helps!

Replace everything in reverse order.
TS2/Cat-Less Headers/Jet Hot Coating 2000/CF Engine covers & Oil Cap/RPi Scoop/Matte Black Grills/H&R Sport Springs/15mm Spacers Rear/12mm Spacers Front/Flowmaster 40 series/Alcantara Shift Boot/CF Vinyl wrap/SPEC Stage 2+ clutch/8 Lbs Fly wheel/ZHP Shift knob/Hawk HPS Pads/Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors/Performance Pedal Set/Stewart water pump
Love is like a fart; if you have to force it, it's probably shit.

Last edited by DataStream18; 05-16-2012 at 08:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is

Awesome-Thanks for the DIY.
2011 E93 335is - current fav
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
KN0XVILLE
Rep
Drives: E85 2.5i

Is this the same DIY for replacing a fuel level sensor?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #4
DataStream18
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 ESS TS1 Z4

Garage List
Yes
TS2/Cat-Less Headers/Jet Hot Coating 2000/CF Engine covers & Oil Cap/RPi Scoop/Matte Black Grills/H&R Sport Springs/15mm Spacers Rear/12mm Spacers Front/Flowmaster 40 series/Alcantara Shift Boot/CF Vinyl wrap/SPEC Stage 2+ clutch/8 Lbs Fly wheel/ZHP Shift knob/Hawk HPS Pads/Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors/Performance Pedal Set/Stewart water pump
Love is like a fart; if you have to force it, it's probably shit.
Appreciate 0