ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-14-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
German Villa
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 2.5 Blue

Muffler delete on a 2.5 auto?

so i would love a little more sound on my 2003 - 2.5 roadster but unfortunately my car is an automatic...... do you think if i remove the muffler would it sound "stupid"?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 04:19 PM   #2
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...muffler+delete

Good read.
      09-14-2010, 09:23 PM   #3
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

Auto will drone like a bitch
Z4 M Coupe - H&R - RE Diablo - RPi - Tekarbon - Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 09:35 AM   #4
German Villa
Rep

It was good read however didnt mentioned if it was automatic.....have anyone done this to an "Automatic"? i am dying to know how the sound will be...thx
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 09:26 PM   #5
zKnuds3712
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4

i had it done to mine not to long ago. its a manual, and it doesnt drone that bad. I can take a video if you would like
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 10:12 PM   #6
Quickid
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4MC, 06 X5 4.4i, 99 323i

If you're going to do this, I would suggest doing it in stages. Leave the resonator first and see how you like the Magnaflow. If you want it louder then remove the resonator.

I replaced my '99 323i's muffler with a Remus and needed a bit more so I removed the resonator after. Having seen me go through this, a friend of mine used Magnaflow on his 328i and removed the resonator at the same time. However, the Magnaflow is wayyyyy louder than the Remus and he ended up geting the resonator re-welded because he couldn't stand it.

But of course, exhaust sound is a personal thing. My MCoupe's exhaust is just right for me at this stage in my life so it's staying like that .... for now at least.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 10:19 PM   #7
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

Its just that its an auto, and autos like to spend most of their time lazying around low revs or holding it there. Which is usually drone city.
Z4 M Coupe - H&R - RE Diablo - RPi - Tekarbon - Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 10:27 AM   #8
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
why not take out the midpipe muffler instead? or replace that with glasspack and slap on a magnaflow at the end.
      09-16-2010, 11:27 AM   #9
misterawa
John 14:6
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
why not take out the midpipe muffler instead? or replace that with glasspack and slap on a magnaflow at the end.
If I remove the resonator, will that add sound and will that effect performance?

Mods: Eibachs/Konis, Eibach camber kit, JTD RSMs, 19" WedsSport SA67, Hamann headlight trim, Aero front bumper, Aero sides, AC Schnitzer side deflectors, Hella euro taillights, Hardtop, Dinan strut & supplemental bars, RD Sport intake, Dinan Stage 2 Software, RPI scoop, Bastuck catback exhaust, Radenergie CF engine cover...
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 11:55 AM   #10
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterawa View Post
If I remove the resonator, will that add sound and will that effect performance?
If all you do is to remove the resonator and leave the oe muffler in place, you should have a small increase in sound level/quality and no noticeable performance difference. If you have already removed the muffler, then the difference in sound increase/quality is more noticeable.

The presence or absence of your oe muffler has the greatest effect on performance, if any. I don't have first hand experience with this; comparative before and after dyno runs. There are plenty of individuals on the forums who will tell you: yes, no, somewhat...... I don't know. One thing to keep in mind however, is this is a street driven car and what you want in terms of "performance" is different from a race car.

Last edited by Incompatible; 09-16-2010 at 12:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 12:18 PM   #11
German Villa
Rep

which one is the midepipe muffler?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 03:45 PM   #12
misterawa
John 14:6
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incompatible View Post
If all you do is to remove the resonator and leave the oe muffler in place, you should have a small increase in sound level/quality and no noticeable performance difference. If you have already removed the muffler, then the difference in sound increase/quality is more noticeable.

The presence or absence of your oe muffler has the greatest effect on performance, if any. I don't have first hand experience with this; comparative before and after dyno runs. There are plenty of individuals on the forums who will tell you: yes, no, somewhat...... I don't know. One thing to keep in mind however, is this is a street driven car and what you want in terms of "performance" is different from a race car.
Thanks Inc . I would like a noticeable difference in performance, but will be content with a small increase in sounds especially considering that replacing the resonator with a pipe shouldn't cost much. I plan on getting a full cat-back exhaust down the road.

Mods: Eibachs/Konis, Eibach camber kit, JTD RSMs, 19" WedsSport SA67, Hamann headlight trim, Aero front bumper, Aero sides, AC Schnitzer side deflectors, Hella euro taillights, Hardtop, Dinan strut & supplemental bars, RD Sport intake, Dinan Stage 2 Software, RPI scoop, Bastuck catback exhaust, Radenergie CF engine cover...

Last edited by misterawa; 09-16-2010 at 03:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 08:47 AM   #13
German Villa
Rep

If you have a video would be awesome. did you do the muffler and resonator delete? thx
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 08:51 AM   #14
German Villa
Rep

Does anyone knows what "Magnaflow" fits the Z4? Part #??? thx
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 09:30 AM   #15
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Villa View Post
Does anyone knows what "Magnaflow" fits the Z4? Part #??? thx
If you're going with dual in/out and install before the resonator or remove the resonator, and run straight pipes out the back, then #11378 or 11385 should work. If you're going to replace the rear muffler (axle back) only, then #11366 should work. There are other combinations which will work depending on where and how you want to do the install. One thing to keep in mind is that coupes tend to have a bigger problem with drone then roadsters due to the large "resonance chamber" trunk space they have. Get under the car, take measurements, and work from there.

My advice is to find someone who has the sound quality and volume you want and duplicate that system. You Tube posts are almost worthless due to the variations in recording conditions and equipment. AND, what sounds good to one person is a headache to another.
      09-20-2010, 10:58 AM   #16
German Villa
Rep

Thanks a lot. Looks like the muffler delete part #11366 is the best option for me. i do not want it too loud. Mine is a roadster but unfortunately is automatic but i still want to hear something..
Appreciate 0