BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

08-06-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
Mahmood07
Captain
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 + F85 X5M

CEL and Dealership visit

I've had my Primary cats deleted, and the CEL is on. I was wondering, what if I needed to go to the dealership for a 'replace brake lamp' or something? What do I say if they ask why is there a CEL? Is it ok to tell them I removed the primary cats?
///M3 Mods: | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | Primary Cats Delete (TTP) | ESS Tune | 19" Advan RS | Eibach Springs | MS Air Filter | BMW Perf. Spoiler | BMW Perf. Splitters | Euro LCI Tail lights | Angel iBright v.3.0 | 20% Tint | Matte black Kidney Grills | CF Side Gills | Painted Reflectors | Black M3 emblem
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 02:09 PM   #2
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahmood07 View Post
I've had my Primary cats deleted, and the CEL is on. I was wondering, what if I needed to go to the dealership for a 'replace brake lamp' or something? What do I say if they ask why is there a CEL? Is it ok to tell them I removed the primary cats?
depends on the dealership
      08-06-2011, 10:33 PM   #3
Dan Halen
Sheetrock Intl.
Rep
Drives: E92, R6 SBK, etc, etc..

I brought my SA a bottle of black label Johnny walker when I first met him. At 1200 mile service I had already removed the cats and had a cel- told him I understood he couldn't change/fix it. He still asked some higher ups at BMW if there was a way he could code his "friends" car to fix it. Treating your SA nice goes a long way me thinks. He always tells me if I need anything just ask.
      08-07-2011, 03:40 AM   #4
luigimaster24
Major
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i & 2021 X6M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Halen View Post
I brought my SA a bottle of black label Johnny walker when I first met him. At 1200 mile service I had already removed the cats and had a cel- told him I understood he couldn't change/fix it. He still asked some higher ups at BMW if there was a way he could code his "friends" car to fix it. Treating your SA nice goes a long way me thinks. He always tells me if I need anything just ask.
That is the way to start your first service with a new car. Was your SA able to remove the CEl btw?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 10:55 AM   #5
mike33176
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Jerez/ Black, E90 M3

The CEL won't go away until you get a tune without cats. Just be honest with your SA from the beginning. If there's apprehention, go to another dealer. My SA takes care of mine, my mom's, my brothers, his 3 business partners and 2 of my uncles cars. He will do anything for us. I had a TCU issue and the car wouldn't go into gear. I had my car flat bedded to the dealer on a Sunday not knowing my SA was off that Monday. I got a call from another SA and he said thet the TCU unit some how got wet and it's not covered and it would be $1200+. I said very calmly, just have my SA call me tomorrow. My guy called me in the am and told me the car would be ready the next day at no charge and told me he filled my tires with nitrogen for free, just because he was upset that I was told I would have to be responsible(from the other SA) for the repair. Be honest with them, give them a BTL, a tip or, a referral every once in a while and they'll take care of you.

Last edited by mike33176; 08-07-2011 at 12:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #6
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

get a tune. more power & no cel. i went with powerchip

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #7
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike33176 View Post
The CEL won't go away until you get a tune without cats. Just be honest with your SA from the beginning. If there's apprehention, go to another dealer. My SA takes care of mine, my mom's, my brothers, his 3 business partners and 2 of my uncles cars. He will do anything for us. I had a TCU issue and the car wouldn't go into gear. I had my car flat bedded to the dealer on a Sunday not knowing my SA was off that Monday. I got a call from another SA and he said thet the TCU unit some how got wet and it's not covered and it would be $1200+. I said very calmly, just have my SA call me tomorrow. He called me in the am and told me the car would be ready the next day at no charge and filled my tires with nitrogen. Be honest with them, give them a BTL or a tip every once in a while and they'll take care of you.
that's awesome

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0