ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-09-2011, 04:34 PM   #1
paul2241
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 328d Sport Wagon

Window making popping noise when in use

Hello I have a 2006 z4 3.0i roadster with 36k on it. Today my driver's side window started to make a popping noise when I close it. The noise is VERY faint on the way down, and non existent on the way up, unless I close the door while the window is down, the first time I put the window up after I close the door, I hear a fairly loud pop, after that all is pretty much well until I open and close the door again. I am attaching a video of the noise to help diagnose it. Please note that the window moves up and down as fast as it used to, with no extra noises except for the pop.

Thank you

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
mikeinsf
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Roadster

I realize this may sound like a "well, duh" answer, but...

Sounds to me like you need to pull the door panel and take a look at the tracks. One of my 528e's did that and I needed a new part inside. Seems like low mileage for a problem like this to occur, but the repetitive closing of mostly the driver's side door eventually takes its toll on the alignment of the window guides inside the door.

2007 ///M roadster
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 10:31 AM   #3
gcochard
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I have the same issue in my e36, you need to align the guides then tighten the bolts holding the guides in. Maybe throw some loctite on there. I fixed it a year ago and it came back within a few months.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 10:44 AM   #4
alvinli217
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Imola RED dIrTy Z4MR - SOLD

either the regulator or the channel is about to break...

i played around with my windows a lot before my warranty was over...the main reason is the car has been storage for too long from the previous owner so gotta make sure everything works fine

then my regulator and channel broke...these noise started happening for a week then the regulator died and duno why the channel broke as we but whatever i got it all fixed from warranty

wish u luck that it's not as bad as what happen to mine or else it would be pretty expensive for the parts.
RPI scoop|BMC drop in filter|EAS V1 aluminum mount|ZHP shiftknob|RHO plate holder|matte black grill|LED interior & license plate light|RE SSK|RE tranny mount|UUC engine mount|Bavarian CDV|clutch stop|18" Forgestar CF5 GOLD|RPI exhaust|H&R coilovers| RE RSM|
coming soon: aFe intake|tune|secondary cat delete|
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 11:34 AM   #5
mikeinsf
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Roadster

Incidentally this is why I freak out every time a passenger slams the door shut. I'm actually thinking of printing up a label for the inside passenger window... "Shut me gently please." People have a nasty habit of slamming these doors because they're so small and light.

2007 ///M roadster
Appreciate 0