ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-09-2014, 01:27 PM   #1
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MR, E34, E30

Ground Control vs. Vorshlag vs. KMAC, etc. camber plates?

What camber plates would you recommend?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 01:32 PM   #2
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

My Ground Control kit came with Ground Control plates. I've been happy with them...Not much to cambers plates, actually. Use whatever came with the coil-overs IMO.

A friend of mine did have KMAC plates on his car and swears that he'll never use them ever again. I'm not one to pry so I didn't ask why. But he hated it.

Vorschlag has always made quality products. I wouldn't hesitate to buy if I wasn't already on GCs.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 04:25 PM   #3
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm on stock suspension so I have to make a choice... So Vorschlag and GC seem to be good?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 05:33 PM   #4
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by intoflatlines View Post
I'm on stock suspension so I have to make a choice... So Vorschlag and GC seem to be good?
Take whichever's cheapest, both are good. Last I recall, GC offers a street version which is less NVH (and maybe cheaper) so that might be appealing to you. Although truth be told I have Vorshlag's in my car and I've never had an issue with noise.
      06-09-2014, 06:23 PM   #5
The HACK
Rep

If I were in your shoes, knowing what I know, I'd probably pick Vorschlag. Not because they're better than Ground Control, but because I have Ground Control now and have heard a lot of good things about Vorschlag, and would love to give their products a shot.

But I've been very happy with my Ground Control kit and the camber plate it came with. And they've been very good to me with a few of the small issues I've had and the customer service is top notch. Personally it's a tough call, I tend to be very brand loyal, but it doesn't mean I won't venture out to try a different product (case in point, my venture into AWD with the '09 Subaru WRX and the FWD '13 Hyundai Veloster Turbo, this despite having owned and driven exclusively BMWs for nearly my whole adult driving life) based on rave reviews by a friend.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 07:37 AM   #6
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
I heard GC plates had a weird design issue where a certain adjustment almost required the camber plates to be removed? I remember reading it on Bimmerfest but that was years ago and they eventually fixed it. The plus for GC is that I think they offer a street or hybrid version which is supposedly less NVH. But then again I have Vorshlag and I've never heard/felt any NVH.
      06-10-2014, 10:09 AM   #7
nekky
Wagon life
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 328d M Sport Touring

My Vorshlags were a bit noisy, but they worked well and the car handled *amazing* on TC Kline DAs with said camber plates.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 10:15 AM   #8
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well then the question is, is it worth a ~$100 price increase to go with Vorshlag over Ground Control?

More questions:

If I went with Ground Control, should I spend the extra $20 to get the "Race" version? I don't think caster adjustment is really a big deal for me, but it looks to be more beefed up than the Street version, which is nice, and for only a $20 difference. But, can that even be used with OEM suspension? http://www.ground-control-store.com/.../II=847/CA=182

Also, is it recommended/advised to get the strut tower reinforcements when doing the camber plates? Or is it just a waste of money/time?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 11:38 AM   #9
The HACK
Rep

Caster adjustment doesn't do much on the M because it's already got the larger caster angles with the offset bushings. If you decide to use urethane bushings that does not have the offset built-in, I can see how caster adjustment on the plate can come in handy. Also, on most camber plates you can actually mount it angled to achieve both caster AND camber adjustment at the same time (i.e. as you increase camber you also increase caster)

Strut tower reinforcement is absolutely VITAL in my book. I had an E46 that cracked a strut tower going over a small pothole that basically ended the ownership experience. I've ran over bigger "berms" in the MZ4 Coupe and have not had any issues (knock on wood) because I've got the sandwich plate under it. Even with the triangulated strut brace, there really isn't much protection on the strut from deformation and damage over repeated impacts.

I had no idea the Vorschlag plates are $100 more...Then again it's not like I pay retail for parts (think USED) so what do I know. Based on that info, I can see why Vorschlag is well recommended. In my experience in the automotive aftermarket industry, the majority of the time you get what you paid for. The only exception to that rule is you should only pay as much as you need for any part (i.e. no need to pay top dollar for a double adjustable, remote reservoir damper set when all you do is drive from point A to point B).

I think, at this point, you can't lose either way. Both are good products from what I have experienced and heard.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 07:26 PM   #10
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
My Vorschlag camber plates have never had an issue and are silent. I'd definitely do it again.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 03:04 PM   #11
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

I've owned GC and Vorshlag camber plates, and if I could do it again I would choose the Vorshlag plates any day. I still regret that I didn't get them to go along with my current GC coilovers.

Vorshlag's camber plates just have a better integral design and look so much better IMO. Mine were absolutely silent. The GC plates are a pain in the ass to adjust.

Last edited by GP20; 06-18-2014 at 06:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 02:04 PM   #12
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I found a set of Vorschlag plates used for $300. I think it was used with coilovers though, so it would not fit on my OEM suspension, right?
Appreciate 0