ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-09-2017, 10:15 AM   #1
ga41
Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
Flat spacers for rear wheels of Z4M?

Hi guys, as some of you may know, I have a Stoptech BBK which with my stock wheels needed spacers to clear the front wheel spokes. I got 2 sets of Turner Motorsport's 12.5mm and installed them front and rear. The rears clear the BBK but I wanted it for symmetry's sake.

Now I've recently got new Michelin Pilot Supersport tires in the rear which are wider than stock, they're 265/40/18. Unfortunately as I noticed at a recent track-day the rears rub in the same place that inTgr8r mentions in this thread: http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1305970.

I'm guessing that the wider rubber and the 12.5mm spacers are causing the rub... So I've thought I'd buy smaller spacers because I don't want to remove them altogether.

Now Turner sells 5mm flat spacers but has anyone here ever tried so thin spacers before in the rear? Turner claims that we can't use their hub extenders in the back so it comes down to if the hub that's left sticking out after the flat spacer is installed is long enough and if the stock wheels have a flat surface pad or a bevelled one...

Any experience from anyone? All advice welcome!
      03-09-2017, 11:23 AM   #2
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

5mm spacers are fine. There's enough of a lip on the hub for the wheels to rest on while you tighten the lugs. Just make sure you get the appropriate length lug bolts and make sure the bore of the wheel is sitting on the extrusion on the hub before you go "BLAP-BLAP-BLAP" with the impact gun. With small spacers it is important to follow the tightening procedure, with a star pattern. Tighten to ~2/3rd torque first, then tighten all the way to 88-90 ft-lbs.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 01:09 PM   #3
ga41
Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
5mm spacers are fine. There's enough of a lip on the hub for the wheels to rest on while you tighten the lugs. Just make sure you get the appropriate length lug bolts and make sure the bore of the wheel is sitting on the extrusion on the hub before you go "BLAP-BLAP-BLAP" with the impact gun. With small spacers it is important to follow the tightening procedure, with a star pattern. Tighten to ~2/3rd torque first, then tighten all the way to 88-90 ft-lbs.

Thank you! I already have a 75mm stud conversion so should be sorted right? I will go ahead and buy them and follow your instructions. Just to confirm though, I'm talking about OEM Z4M wheels. Still OK, yes?
      03-09-2017, 04:14 PM   #4
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Yes.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 11:41 PM   #5
ga41
Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 02:44 PM   #6
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga41 View Post
Quote:
Yes.
Old thread, have you already bought the spacers?
I've 5mm from ECS tuning on my e93...they work really good...ECS spacers are cheaper in price than other famous brands.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 02:26 PM   #7
ga41
Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
Don't know why but i didnt get a notification about a new post..

I've bought them yes but haven't installed yet! Got Eibach ones.