ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #1
abashoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Is coding for DSC available?

Hi all

I went to my first track day with my Z4MCoupe yesterday at New Jersey Motorsport Park (NJMP) on the Lightning course. I have been there 5 times before with my Z3 MCoupe.

I was actually very frustrated with the car because I couldnt get my Z4M to do what my Z3M used to do. On sweeping turns where there is an elevation change (turns 1 and 5) the DSC intervened when I was trying to power out. It essentially would not allow me to apply throttle. I tried coming in slower and trying to be smoother with my steering inputs but still got the same reaction. But keep in mind im an intermediate driver so im not super smooth or consistent yet.

It appears that the DSC on the Z4M is just more aggressive than ASC on the Z3M. So like many of you I turned it off and experimented. I was happy with the results and could get the car to 'do' what I wanted.

But Im not totally comfortable with it completely off. Im an intermediate driver and I sometimes get into trouble. Yesterday morning turn 7 (after the bridge) was very wet and the traction control saved me. Clearly the best thing to do would to not get into these types of situations, but sometimes shit happens.

I'd really feel more comfortable with some electronic nanny's saving my butt when I run out of talent. Has anyone successfully coded DSC? I know they are doing this stuff for E92 M3s.

I'm completely stock except for PFC front pads. Is an upgraded suspension and some camber going to make the DSC less intrusive?

I'll end on a brighter note. While the s52 was definitely better for daily driving the s54 wins on the track. By the end of the straight I was going 19mph faster in my s54 than my s52!

Thanks all

-al
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Very interested.

Anybody?
      04-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

As of now I do not know of anyone that has coded the DSC

The DSC fully on acts like the E46M in Dynamic mode. With that being said it isn't as intrusive as the E46 M with it completely on.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 12:51 PM   #4
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by abashoe View Post
Has anyone successfully coded DSC? I know they are doing this stuff for E92 M3s.
Do you have a link? If we can find tuners that have successfully tuned DSC, we can ask them if they can tune ours. The DSC may be a module that's shared between other vehicles.

I posted about the current best option which is race logic traction control here.
      04-22-2013, 08:27 PM   #5
abashoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
Do you have a link? If we can find tuners that have successfully tuned DSC, we can ask them if they can tune ours. The DSC may be a module that's shared between other vehicles.

I posted about the current best option which is race logic traction control here.
Apologies I mispoke. What they are doing with the e9X M3s is that they are replacing the US M Dynamic Mode (MDM) with a European MDM which is less aggressive and allows more slip. Apparently it lets you even get a little sideways.

They have to 'code' to do it, but they are not customizing the programming of MDM just replacing it with something BMW already offered in Europe.

So how much does a race logic run? =)
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 01:11 AM   #6
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by abashoe View Post
So how much does a race logic run? =)
About 1k + installation. You also need a tune.

I mentioned in that thread that a company out of the UK had a tune. I finally remembered: it's CA Automotive out of the UK that figured out the tuning so that the DME doesn't go into limp mode because of the (controlled) misfires that the racelogic unit introduces.
      04-25-2013, 06:13 PM   #7
DerekSelmanRacing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Z4 3.0 SMG, 01 530

Turn it off in the dry (without being nutso) and leave it on on unfamiliar, cold, or wet tracks.
Appreciate 0