ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-24-2015, 10:28 PM   #23
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
Exactly the same thing that happened to me.
It will happen to all of us sooner or later.
If you are willing to spend the labor preemptively, you can cut about $600 off the cost of dealing with this by replacing your pump disc with the beisan systems one.

http://beisansystems.com/products.html

$150 for the pump disc vs $750 for a new hump. The new pump disc has smaller holes, which greatly reduces the likelihood that your tabs will break off.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 08:57 AM   #24
bignosejim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 IB M Coupe

I did the Beisan System fixes before mine could fail. Very good for peace of mind.

/// Vibra-Technics motor mounts /// Autosolutions SSK /// RE Tranny mounts /// Aero Turbine Exhaust /// Beisan Vanos upgrades /// SDW rtabs /// Fortune Auto 500
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 09:37 PM   #25
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep

dropped it off yesterday at Lang Racing. Tried, and tried, and tried to get kaiv, but his response time is just wayyyy to long.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 11:29 PM   #26
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep

following up to my original post, I ended up taking the car to Lang Racing Development in Irvine (http://www.langracing.com/) to get the exhaust hub replaced, and I was extremely happy with the work. When I was trying to decide where to take the car I found this blog post on the website:
http://www.langracing.com/beisan-sys...d-maintenance/
so I was confident they were actually familiar with the issue. I had previously called European Auto Source, and it was clear they had very little experience replacing vanos systems, as they wanted to take the whole front clip off the car.

Andrew Lang, the owner of Lang Racing, met me personally when I dropped off and picked up the car, and was my point of contact the entire time, adjusting the quote to cover exactly what I wanted and giving me status updates and photos. They did all of the vanos work in the blog post above, and were happy to work with a Turbo Toys C300 hub I provided.

I was extremely impressed that the prices they charged for all of the Beisan parts were the same as those listed by Beisan. In my experience most shops can't resist marking up every part they provide by 100% or more, so it was really nice so pay exactly what I would have if I had bought the parts myself. Same with the C300 hub, the labor, parts charges, etc., were exactly the same as if I had used an OEM hub, just minus the actual hub cost (since I provided it).

Lang found that my pump disc had been badly gouged once they had the car apart, and they were able to re-machine my pump disc in house to add new holes. This only added $100 to my bill, and the car was still ready at the time promised. Finally, the labor charge was extremely reasonable, only a few hundred dollars more than kaiv charges.

As big as a p.i.t.a this job is, I would definitely recommend having Lang do it if you live nearby, rather than diy'ing. And having done a bunch of valve adjustments (8 or 9 I think) and pretty much everything else the car needs, I say that as someone who will diy just about anything.

Pics of the pump disc attached in case anyone is curious.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-30-2015, 08:03 AM   #27
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Excellent!!

Sure wish we had someone like Lang up our way.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)

Last edited by inTgr8r; 12-30-2015 at 04:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 11:09 AM   #28
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Awesome

We're definitely very lucky to have guys like Andrew and Kevin here in So. Cal
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 11:05 PM   #29
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Excellent!!

I would trust the guys at Bavarian Specialties in Philly with this sort of work without hesitation. I had a variety of stuff done there and was always impressed. Not exactly local for you, I think it would be around 8 hours away, but for major work it might make sense. Major being like an engine rebuild or something else likely to cost more than $3k. Its definitely a luxury to have places like that close by.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 08:22 AM   #30
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Excellent!!

Ian, not sure what kind of machine shop these guys have. I have not been there yet.

http://www.tmwerkes.ca/

I was put on to them by JRP in Mississauga.
If nothing else the drive up there around Gormley is spectacular any time of year.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 09:21 AM   #31
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
Ian, not sure what kind of machine shop these guys have. I have not been there yet.

http://www.tmwerkes.ca/

I was put on to them by JRP in Mississauga.
If nothing else the drive up there around Gormley is spectacular any time of year.
Thanks Dave, they're only 30min from me.
I'll have to swing by and check them out one day.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0