ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-11-2017, 03:50 PM   #1
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Anyone ever seen anything like this in coolant?

Hey guys, I hope you don't mind me asking this here. This is looking down into a coolant expansion tank (a very weak link in e46 M54 engines) on a BMW 330. Have you ever seen anything like that? What is that?

It's not my car. It's one I was thinking about purchasing for my son. Inside looks brand new, but since these tanks are known to leak, I asked the guy selling it to check the fluid level before I made a trip to check it out. This is what he sent back. Yikes! What is that?? Don't think I'll be buying this.

Salty
Attached Images

Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 09:45 AM   #2
EMagnuson
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

That reminds me of the foam you see at the oil filler cap when you have a failed head gasket. Not a good sign, kind of surprised the guy would send you a picture like that and not be concerned themselves.
Appreciate 1
SaltyNC367.50
      12-12-2017, 11:47 AM   #3
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Never seen anything that bad, but I suspect it's deposit from using the wrong coolant. One of the common coolants found in third party parts stores (Autozone, O'Reillys, etc) has rust inhibitors that are incompatible with the BMW OEM fill, and when used CAN result in corrosion or lime/calcium deposits.

Either way, walk away. Cars that had the incompatible coolant filled over time can develop cooling problem issues that are difficult to resolve, because that deposit/corrosion travels all throughout the cooling system and fouls up the thermostat, water pump, and radiator.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 1
SaltyNC367.50
      12-12-2017, 12:41 PM   #4
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

I cant imagine this coming from the coolant/wrong type coolant/mixing coolants. Any deposits in that department will sink! says my physics gut feeling. A crystalized salt is always heavier than water.

This is maybe a side effect/result from someone trying to stop a radiator leak or so?
Looks like poached eggwhite....to keep that urban myth alive....
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 2
SaltyNC367.50
ZAR4MC93.00
      12-12-2017, 01:43 PM   #5
garz747
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC 01 330i 18 X3 M40i

Ive seen calcium deposits from extremely hard water-(should use distilled) but that looks worse? I have an old E46 330i and I do not see that in my expansion tank neck.
Appreciate 1
SaltyNC367.50
      12-12-2017, 04:04 PM   #6
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garz747 View Post
(should use distilled)
BMW advises water with less than 357 PPM CaCO3 (20 DH). And that is pretty hard water already. So in 99% of all cases tap water cant hurt. Distilled water also obviously wont hurt but it isnt a must requirement.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 1
SaltyNC367.50
      12-12-2017, 05:55 PM   #7
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
I appreciate you guys. Thanks for responding to my non-Z question. I did walk away from this car. The owner of the car is a really honest seller, and he didn't know anything about this. He's just not a BMW guy, and while I think he did oil changes regularly (probably at a local place and not BMW shop), none of the other maintenance was done such as the inspections, fluid swaps, etc. The engine may still be fine, but it was just too risky for me, especially the car being hundreds of miles away and needing to get it back. I found a BMW enthusiast selling a 330Ci ZHP in black on black, and I love it. Looks great, has the 18" e46 M3 style wheels, the M Tech II bumper, trunk spoiler, M3 suspension, good sounding ZHP muffler, etc. And most importantly, all maintenance and common failure points have already been addressed, and it has new PSS tires. Woot! Score!

Those deposits were said to be hard. I think they probably would have sunk, but I think they must have attached themselves to the float. Just like on our cars, there should be a red float sticking up, but I think it is weighed down with these deposits.

The e46 M54 engine has a near 100% expansion tank failure rate, and other cooling system components break down and leak. I think the idea that some non-BMW used car dealer used stop leak when they found a leak in the system is highly probable. Also highly probable is that they used Prestone antifreeze from Pep Boys in the coolant. Maybe both.

Thanks again!

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 06:05 PM   #8
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Cars that had the incompatible coolant filled over time can develop cooling problem issues that are difficult to resolve, because that deposit/corrosion travels all throughout the cooling system and fouls up the thermostat, water pump, and radiator.
On older model e46 M54's, it's actually recommended to replace the entire cooling system including the radiator at around 75K. It is surprisingly not all that expensive even using all BMW parts. But, yeah, 100%, I walked away.

Salty
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 09:29 AM   #9
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

I'm thinking of doing this on my M at around 80K miles. Full cooling system (water pump, radiator, all coolant hoses, expansion tank). It'll be around 12 years old at that point. Maybe I won't do the water pump, since as I understand they fail gracefully (just start to leak since they are mechanical not electric).

Anyone else do the same?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 09:41 AM   #10
kaybat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MR, '14 Cayman S

Garage List
'06 Z4M  [0.00]
too bad it didn't work out Salty, 330's are becoming hard to find(with a stick), i'm looking for one as a "project" vehicle.
      12-16-2017, 10:34 AM   #11
joelselman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4, 2001 530

Silly not to replace the water pump if you're in there.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 02:05 PM   #12
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaybat View Post
too bad it didn't work out Salty, 330's are becoming hard to find(with a stick), i'm looking for one as a "project" vehicle.
I found another one and bought it. Jet Black 2005 330Ci ZHP. It has the M suspension, sits lower, M 18" staggered wheel setup, M steering wheel, different cams, different tuning, higher redline (barely over 330i), dash with red needles, a tad more HP and torque, spoiler, clear indicators, throatier exhaust, anthracite headliner, Xenons, facelift headlights clear, etc., etc. Nice looking car. No black rubber trim like many e46 models. It's kind of like the Z4M in that it doesn't look nearly as old as it is. It was in great shape, but I still managed to put together a parts list with about 30 items that I plan to replace, and I've got the PDR guy coming back out to pull out 4 dings, and only one would a normal human find.

This one is an automatic. If it was for me, it would be 6MT. My younger son and I talked about it, and I asked him if he would be interested in learning to drive a manual. He said probably not, that it looked to him like manuals were on their way out, and probably by the time he gets out of college and gets a good paying job, cars will likely be autonomous for the most part, or at least heading in that direction. I think it's kind of sad, but I can't really argue with the logic. So, auto it is. Driving it back, I got stuck in a 3 hour wreck, and constant stop and go traffic. I wasn't missing the clutch, either. It does have steptronic, so you can pretend to shift.

Salty
Appreciate 1
kaybat125.50
      12-18-2017, 02:09 PM   #13
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelselman View Post
Silly not to replace the water pump if you're in there.
I recommended that to the seller. In fact, I recommended complete cooling system swap including the radiator, since they are known failure points in older E46's.

Salty
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 02:22 PM   #14
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
This is exactly how the 330Ci ZHP looks that I purchased. I was going to buy a 330Ci or 330i and replace the bumper, suspension, wheels, etc. and didn't know about ZHP's, though I should have because ZHP shift knob that everyone loves...guess I never questioned where that came from or what the heck ZHP was (it's Performance Package code).

Now, all I'm doing is bringing it back as close to showroom new as I can replacing parts, paint correction, etc. Most weaknesses were already addressed. Just gotta lose that chrome grill.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/bmw/2005-b...air/1242601999

Above link is not my car, just is the same model and color, etc.

Confession: After driving it back, I want it.

Salty
Appreciate 1
kaybat125.50