ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-01-2014, 04:52 PM   #1
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Paint questions

Hello all,

I have a few questions regarding the paint on the Z4M's:

1) Does anyone know what the factory paint thickness is? I know from prior experience that BMW typically sprays in the 1.5-3.5mil arena. When I purchased my car I put a paint meter to it and all panels came back within this range (mainly in the 2's) which was indicative of no paint work.

2) I did notice, however, that right around the edges of the doors (on the inside part, but not quite by the door cards - if you open the door, the rolled part of the edge on the inside) seems very rough and porous. Again, I put a paint meter to the doors, and they are within spec. Can someone verify for me if this is normal?

3) The rear-facing surface of the hatch/lid (where the ///M emblem and the roundel to open the hatch are) seems to be more orange-pealy than the top part of it. Again, paint thickness is within spec, but this really caught my eye. I know BMW's are notorious for orange peal, but I'm used to even orange peal across the entire car. Once again, would someone be so kind to verify for me if this is normal?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 06:02 PM   #2
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Orange peel is pretty standard for E85/86 Z4's. They were built in the USA and I don't think the paint quality is the same as a German built car would be. The other conditions you mention are the same as my car which has had ZERO paint work.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 06:25 PM   #3
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr
Orange peel is pretty standard for E85/86 Z4's. They were built in the USA and I don't think the paint quality is the same as a German built car would be. The other conditions you mention are the same as my car which has had ZERO paint work.
Thank you! So to the touch, when you open your door if you run your finger on the inside part of the door right around the edge, it's very porous? Same with the front part of the hood. I know the hood on my car has not had any paint work, but right around the edge of the front part (right when it turns and goes to the underside, I can feel little bumps in the paint, which I've seen before on cars that have been resprayed.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 08:16 AM   #4
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
Thank you! So to the touch, when you open your door if you run your finger on the inside part of the door right around the edge, it's very porous? Same with the front part of the hood. I know the hood on my car has not had any paint work, but right around the edge of the front part (right when it turns and goes to the underside, I can feel little bumps in the paint, which I've seen before on cars that have been resprayed.
I am not sure what you mean by "porous". To me that means water can permeate. Inside the edge of my doors it is slightly rough. There is a bead of material which is painted over which has a texture.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 08:46 AM   #5
the dink
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4

I don't know if this helps and I don't own an M, but at the edges could you be noticing the lack of clear coat? It seems that bmw sprays the whole car with color but only clears coats the outside. Could the lack of clear be what your calling porous?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 09:13 AM   #6
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
I am not sure what you mean by "porous". To me that means water can permeate. Inside the edge of my doors it is slightly rough. There is a bead of material which is painted over which has a texture.
Exactly, I couldn't have phrased it any better...it's a bead with a bunch of little "pits" which is what I mean by porous. Not permeable, so no, they are not holes that water can get through...just tiny little dots/pits that can be felt to the touch.

This is my 6th BMW and I've never noticed this before so I wanted to make sure it is indeed normal
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 09:15 AM   #7
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyf
I don't know if this helps and I don't own an M, but at the edges could you be noticing the lack of clear coat? It seems that bmw sprays the whole car with color but only clears coats the outside. Could the lack of clear be what your calling porous?
Possibly...typically clear coating tends to take the shape of whatever it's covering, as opposed to creating a flat surface...so I'm not sure if it is the lack of coating (which you're correct, BMW only applies clear to visible surfaces outside), or if it's just the way the material is on the inside since it does not undergo the same treatment.
Appreciate 0