ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-21-2014, 05:34 PM   #1
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Driver side seat click!

So, very randomly, depending on acceleration, whether I'm cornering or going in a straight line, etc, my seat will make a single-click sound. I know (because I had one) that the z3 M Coupe was plagued with all sorts of seat issues (rail bushings would wear out, diagonal seat back movement, and so on. Did those same issues transfer to the z4 M Coupe? When I'm out of the car, I can try shaking the seat back side to side, forward and back, but I don't hear the "click" sound that I get at random while driving. Sometimes, before I even get the car rolling, when I press the clutch pedal (which in turn makes me press against the seat) or if I move around a bit I can duplicate the sound; but it doesn't happen every time.

Has anyone else experienced this and is there a known fix for it? Sometimes I wonder if it could be one of the plastic panels in the hatch flexing/moving; however, it has happened sometimes with the car not moving, as I described above.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 12:41 AM   #2
i2ichal2dZ4M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BSM Z4MC

I've experienced this. normally it only does it once and it wont do it again for a while. I notice its when im turning left and my weight presses against the right side
      02-22-2014, 12:49 AM   #3
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2ichal2dZ4M
I've experienced this. normally it only does it once and it wont do it again for a while. I notice its when im turning left and my weight presses against the right side
Hmmm...yes it happens very random for me...oh well, I'll ignore until it becomes repeatable so I can troubleshoot it, or until it becomes a problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 12:57 AM   #4
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

My non-sport seat makes all kinds of pops and clicks
      02-22-2014, 09:19 AM   #5
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psygnosis View Post
My non-sport seat makes all kinds of pops and clicks
I hope hope hope that the seats on the z4's don't go down the path of the seats on the z3's…else we have a future of clicks, forward-backward and side-to-side rocking...
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 10:58 AM   #6
i2ichal2dZ4M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BSM Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
I hope hope hope that the seats on the z4's don't go down the path of the seats on the z3's…else we have a future of clicks, forward-backward and side-to-side rocking...
then it'll give me a reason to splurge on some race seats!
      02-22-2014, 11:08 AM   #7
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2ichal2dZ4M
Quote:
I hope hope hope that the seats on the z4's don't go down the path of the seats on the z3'selse we have a future of clicks, forward-backward and side-to-side rocking...
then it'll give me a reason to splurge on some race seats!
And then you'll have airbag light issues...it's a never ending cycle...the BMW way
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 12:03 PM   #8
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

Quote:
Thankfully it doesn't move around, just makes noise.
      02-22-2014, 04:38 PM   #9
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Question for you guys, can you do the following experiment? I think I may have found the culprit. Sit in your driver seat, while sitting down, slide the seat all the way forward (or as far as your knees allow it to go), and the slide it all the way back. Tell me if the seat travels smoothly all the way forward and backward, or if you feel any roughness/bumpiness at certain points while the seat travels.

I just realized that while sliding forward, it's all smooth, but while sliding backward, I feel a few rough spots in the rails. My guess is, there is probably some wear on the moving mechanism from the seat being in the same position for extended periods of time - I bet the getting in and out of the car takes a toll on certain areas after years of use, which explains the rough spots.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 09:59 PM   #10
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

There was actually a TSB for this issue. I have what you describe as well. I had the TSB done and it did nothing to resolve it.

This is the TSB info:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=69
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 12:09 AM   #11
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr
There was actually a TSB for this issue. I have what you describe as well. I had the TSB done and it did nothing to resolve it.

This is the TSB info:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=69
Thanks for the info! How about the rough spots while sliding back and/or forth?

For the click that the bulletin attempts to address, I did something that appears to have made it go away, at least temporarily. Go ahead and move the seat to every possible extreme (all the way forward, all the way back, all the way up, and all the way down). Do the same with the reclining functionality. Basically, this forces all frame components to go into unusual positions, possibly shaking things up a bit. So far I haven't heard it again, but I'm sure it may come back in a matter of time.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 10:03 AM   #12
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

Welcome to the club. I have a rattle fit thread somewhere where I mentioned having it, and I think 2 or 3 other people have it.

Its not the same as the issue in the TSB (at least for me), thats a slip-stick thing. I have it with the same randomness, and even with the clutch usage. I've looked and looked and no one has solved it or made much of an effort to seriously diagnose it.

Mine has been going on a while, and I think I'm starting to notice just a little bit of slop in the seat back pivot. I suspect maybe a frame hole where the seat back connects to the seat bottom is rounding out, or perhaps there's a bushing there thats shot.

To solve it, I think you need to take the seat out of the car, and take the back off and play it. I don't have the space or time to do that right now, but if you figure it out, please please share.

I will try the seat sliding thing, but I think thats something else than the click.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 10:44 AM   #13
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoublehcubed
Welcome to the club. I have a rattle fit thread somewhere where I mentioned having it, and I think 2 or 3 other people have it.

Its not the same as the issue in the TSB (at least for me), thats a slip-stick thing. I have it with the same randomness, and even with the clutch usage. I've looked and looked and no one has solved it or made much of an effort to seriously diagnose it.

Mine has been going on a while, and I think I'm starting to notice just a little bit of slop in the seat back pivot. I suspect maybe a frame hole where the seat back connects to the seat bottom is rounding out, or perhaps there's a bushing there thats shot.

To solve it, I think you need to take the seat out of the car, and take the back off and play it. I don't have the space or time to do that right now, but if you figure it out, please please share.

I will try the seat sliding thing, but I think thats something else than the click.
I kid you not, the sliding of the seat still holds...I haven't heard it again *knock on wood* ... I'm afraid to get too excited about it, as that will be when it will probably return. But so far, it's gone.

The one thing that still has me puzzled is that when I'm sitting on the seat and slide all the way forward, it's a smooth transition. When I slide it backwards there is a rough spot where it doesn't feel so smooth...I wonder if this is where the seat has been set to most of its life, and there's wear on the threads from getting in and put of the car.
Appreciate 0