ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-03-2013, 03:35 AM   #1
RobertRO
Private
Romania
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Manual throttle actuation for diagnosis purpose

I am trying to track down an engine knock which shows up only during warm-up phase and within a narrow rpm range.
For that purpose I need to actuate the throttle while leaning over the engine with the hood open.

In my old E28 535i that was plain easy: I could simply actuate the throttle body by hand. Which does not work for Z4M: it bucks and almost stalls.
Since I don't have an assistant, and I'm not long enough to have one leg on the throttle pedal and one ear over the engine, I wonder if there's a workaround.
For example, is there any option in INPA / DIS to actuate the throttle from a PC running that application?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 12:51 AM   #2
RobertRO
Private
Romania
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Eventually I ended up building a "remote throttle" myself.
I bought an accelerator pedal from a junk yard, and built an extension cable of about 3 meters long. The cable must have 6 wires. Each wire was terminated with a pin taken from an old computer male connector. It takes about 3 hours of work and the total cost is really low.

The first picture below shows the device.
And the second picture, how it looks like when installed. Sorry for not cleaning up the carpet prior to taking the picture.
The car accelerator pedal must be removed - easy job: just remove one screw and plug out the connector.

It works really good. You can throttle the engine yourself while leaning over it and listening for odd noises. Such as a VANOS rattle
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 09:59 AM   #3
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

that looks sort of hilarious, but really awesome at the same time.
Appreciate 0