ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-16-2014, 03:07 PM   #1
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roady

Is it my speedo console, or maybe the fuel system. Or maybe the car key???

The problem is very sporadic. It will go days or weeks with no problems and then do it several times in a day. Here’s what happens – When I get in and turn the key, it just spins the starter and will not start no matter how long I keep the key in start position. At first I thought it was just cold weather and a weak battery. So I had the battery changed. This was done at the dealer so the battery was installed correctly and registered to the car as described in the manual for 2006 3.0si This did not fix the issue.

Here’s the kicker and why I believe it is an electrical issue and not the fuel system. I noticed the last few times it occurred that my dash console lights were not coming on right away. e.g. – I insert the key and turn to position 2, no dash or console lights. At this point if I turn to position 3 to start the engine, it will not start. The starter will just whine as if the engine isn’t getting fuel.

However, If I wait for the console lights to come on, sometimes a delay of several seconds, sometimes not until I turn the key from position 2 back to position 0 and start over to get the console to light up. As soon as the console lights up. The engine will start.
Does this sound like a problem with the console? Or maybe the key itself?

Has anyone here ever seen this before?
      02-16-2014, 04:13 PM   #2
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Possibly the key switch mechanism. Depending on use, age of the car and weight on the key ring you may need to replace it. There is a DIY somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 10:02 AM   #3
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
Possibly the key switch mechanism. Depending on use, age of the car and weight on the key ring you may need to replace it. There is a DIY somewhere.
Thanks for the info. I can probably have that checked or tested? I carry a car key and a house key because I hate things in my pockets.

I'm assuming since over 100 people have looked at this post without commenting that it's a problem no one else has had?
      02-17-2014, 11:29 AM   #4
gghg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 M Coupe

Sounds like an electrical problem, I would start with the ignition switch easy enough to change.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 08:23 AM   #5
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Does this happen with all your keys? Assuming you have more than one master key

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 09:12 AM   #6
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMOUPE View Post
Does this happen with all your keys? Assuming you have more than one master key
That reminds me, how many keys are we supposed to have, 2 or 3? Don't recall if it was 2 keys but 1 master key for reprogramming purposes or something.
      02-18-2014, 09:33 AM   #7
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
You should have 2 regular keys and 1 plastic key. There is no "master" key. Both key "fobs" are the same, but can be programmed independently for key-specific memory features.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 10:30 AM   #8
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I have 2 keys. The second on hasnt been used since Fall so I will switch it out and see what happens.
      02-18-2014, 10:31 AM   #9
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
You should have 2 regular keys and 1 plastic key. There is no "master" key. Both key "fobs" are the same, but can be programmed independently for key-specific memory features.
Masters are the diamond ones. You can have regular metal keys with no buttons. I have one. To answer the how many, I think you get 2 from BMW but you can have an additional 6 (I think) programmed through dealer.

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 10:33 AM   #10
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMz4 View Post
I have 2 keys. The second on hasnt been used since Fall so I will switch it out and see what happens.
Yes, definitely do that and report your findings.

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 01:43 PM   #11
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
If you are not the original owner and didn't get the plastic key when you bought your car, I would highly recommend that you order the plastic key from the dealer. I think it's around $36.

My car only came with one key and didn't include the plastic key. I immediately bought a second key because I didn't want to be without a spare. I ended up locking my keys in the trunk one day and wasted an hour or so of my time getting a ride home to pick up the spare key. I decided I should get the plastic key and keep it in my wallet.

Last August I drove to Oktoberfest early so that I could attend a couple of events the prior weekend. On Thursday night I was at Baja Cantina in Carmel Valley and I put my ///M jacket on a chair. My car key was in a pocket. I left my seat and when I came back my jacket was gone along with the keys (fortunately, the car wasn't). I had the plastic key in my wallet which not only allowed me to open the car but also to start it. My wife drove up on Saturday and brought her key which I used until I got back home and was able to order another key.

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 05:32 PM   #12
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So, It happens with both keys. I'm pretty sure its a bad ignition switch. When the console does not light up, jiggling the key does nothing but turning the key off and back on until the console lights up works every time.
I figure by process of elimination, switch the ignition out and see if it still happens.
      02-22-2014, 07:29 AM   #13
gghg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 M Coupe

I had a similar problem with a 3 series where it was intermittent. The ignition switched fixed the problem.
Appreciate 0