ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-02-2013, 08:19 AM   #1
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Forum/Sub-Forum Edit or Removal

Is there any way to set my forum profile so that I cannot see certain sub-forums, or posts in those said sub-forums??
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
Geauxkart
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe Sepang

I'd love that too. If I wanted to learn about watches and workouts, I'd go to said forum.... Not Zpost.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Those is the specific sub-forum's I want to filter....... This is supposed to be a CAR forum....

It is rather funny that someone who proclaims to be a car enthusiast has no issues with plunking down $3000 for a timepiece(s) but has issues with $800 on a proper valve adjustment....
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #4
MZHammer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E85 Z4M, F82 M4

Garage List
2016 M4  [0.00]
2006 BMW Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
It would be nice to clean out all of the F30 sponsor ads that show up in here too.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 09:13 AM   #5
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

But you will miss all this very relevant stuff:

http://www.saultstar.com/2013/10/02/...cs-north-shore

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #6
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

you should see the audio forum I belong to. I swear only 20% of the forum is focused on the topic. But the classifieds section is so good it was still worth belonging to.

I say was because they abruptly made a new rule that you have to have 100 posts to view any of the classified listings. Didn't matter that before that rule I had made purchases totaling about $2k in said classifies section. I made a separate thread in the general forum to push my post count up (I was at about 80), indicated that that was its purpose, and half the forum went beserk and attacked me for primarily using the classifieds and not all the weird subforums.

So nice to have this forum, filled with reasonable people who don't take issue with the fact that I don't spend enough time in the Happy Birthday subforum, etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 12:58 PM   #7
Loogey Clapp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
Is there any way to set my forum profile so that I cannot see certain sub-forums, or posts in those said sub-forums??
This! It would be nice to be able to individually custom-tailor the sub-forums that appear when clicking New Posts. There are some sub-forums I care nothing about and others that I am totally interested in.
      02-20-2014, 01:11 PM   #8
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
I think I missed the said forum about watches! can someone point me there?

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 01:24 PM   #9
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loogey Clapp View Post
This! It would be nice to be able to individually custom-tailor the sub-forums that appear when clicking New Posts. There are some sub-forums I care nothing about and others that I am totally interested in.
Agree completely, once I get past the Firearms, Watches, and Workout (or whatever it is called) there isn't nearly as much to look at. As soon as I am interested in one of the above I will probably go to a place that is dedicated to these items.

I see almost no chance of getting rid of the sales adds since they are paying but for the rest it seems like a waste of time and as they ad more sub forums the clutter grows.
      02-20-2014, 02:29 PM   #10
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

At one point, being in a particular forum, say Zpost, or say M3forum, and hitting either today's posts, or new posts, would only return things that were relevant to that particular forum. Not things for unrelated BMW models, not gun posts, not work out posts, not watch posts, not "into leather" posts.

The way the forms have been set up seems to have changed over time. I think it's a setup issue.

This actually works against the forums' best interest, and the forum owner's best interest as well. Instead of the ads being targeted people on the particular sub forum, we see everything. For things we have no interest in. I have no interest in catless down pipes for my turbocharged 335 because I don't have one. I do however, have interest in wheels for my Z4M, or other particular products for my Z4M. This makes it very difficult for advertisers to punch through all of the clutter and noise. That doesn't do a good turn for the forum owners. Because advertisers are losing their advertising power.

I'm sure that the M3 folks, the 235 folks, and other people have the same needs. They want to see things that are targeted to their particular car based off the forum that they're in. If they want to know about "ripped abs" they can go to the appropriate sub-forum.

I'm just not sure how to bring the issue attention. I've tried a couple of times, and have gotten nowhere. Maybe if more people Ping the admins and mods recommended changes, or we went to the problems and difficulties forming posted something that might get more attention to the problem. If I have a chance later, maybe I'll start a thread in the suggestion forum. Problem is who will notice given all the clutter! http://www.zpost.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 05:08 PM   #11
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
There are so few new posts and so few topics in Zpost that I just don't use that New Post function as it is easy to find new posts in each specific section (general, photos, cosmetic, wheels, etc.). Our platform is small and our membership here of enthusiasts is smaller so we dont get tons and tons of posts every day like the other BimmerPost boards. This also means that the BimmerPost admins hardly ever visit our corner. That and the fact that 99% of the time ZPost is very friendly and there isn't often a need for an admin to step in and lock threads or ban members from here.

I agree with Finnegan though, there seems to be a coding/settings issue with the New Posts feature and it is grabbing from the Universal BimmerPost areas and not keeping it to just Zpost.
      02-20-2014, 06:29 PM   #12
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Thanks.

I do have a couple other BMWs and the issue is there across forums.

Basically it would be nice to keep the focus to the forum one is focused on. So, if I'm in off topic, I can see just off topic. Seems like a win.

Agree we're pretty well behaved here and as such don't have the Eye of Sauron focused on us. Which is a testament to the Zpost community.
Appreciate 0