ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > Marketplace > Classifieds : For Sale / Wanted / Group Buys
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #45
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Agreed about the looks on PU calipers. There are other benefits besides looks and easier to change pads. Cooler and lighter calipers makes a great performance upgrade.

I am debating if I should just get the caliper the time. I can complete the front in one shot.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #46
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybest
What is the price?

RacingBrake GB thread says :
Quote:
20% discount for 10 or more orders, your discounted total will be $711.91 a pair (a saving of $177.98)
later on it says :
Quote:
Bottom line cost:

If we get 10 people, less the brake pads (-$30) with free wheel stud conversion kit (-$105), your final cost for a pair of true light weight high performance rotors will be:

$712-$30-$105 = $577 per pair or $288.50/rotor
Now I don't need the stud kit, and I don't want the brake pads... Is my cost 577$ or 682$ (no brake pads -30$) ?

I think I know what they are trying to say... I get a gift of wheel studs so "I save" 105$. But my cost remains 712$ - 30$ (no pads) : 682$

And who can convince me I need/want this Progressive Upgrade Kit (PU)?

Oh and the GB thread makes the mistake again of quoting 577$ for rotors :
Quote:
So assume we get 10 or more orders (2 pc or 2 pc+PU), then your PU kit cost will be $1480-$296 (20% off) = $1,184. Your final discounted brake kit cost = $1,184 + $577 = $1,761
Maybe it is 577$ instead of 682$...
Just sell the studs if you don't need. I'm sure you have no problem selling them.

I am ordering an extra set to complete all corners. You can also add spacers in the future without the need to buy longer lug bolts for spacer.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #47
kalare
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

I am also thinking about selling the stud set...I'm sure you can probably get about 80 bucks...brand spanking new.

At Tonybest:
As far as needing convicing to get the PU kit? Do you track the car a decent bit? If not, you probably don't need the PU kit and it'll just be for looks. Only you can decide if you want to spend the money on the PU kit and for what reasons. The rotors on the other hand are the clear winners over OEM and IMO will save you money in the long run if you plan on keeping the car for any amount of time/miles or are tracking the car. After my experience with the OEM rotors on the track wearing at a very fast pace, I'm looking forward to the RB rotors lasting longer.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #48
kalare
Private
Rep

Good news possibly, looks like we have one more taker, so we should be at 20% now!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #49
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalare View Post
Good news possibly, looks like we have one more taker, so we should be at 20% now!
Yep. Actually up to 11 at this point, so the 20% discount is a go!

If anyone was on the fence seeing if we'd get to the 20% discount, we're there. 10 days left to join.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 06:25 PM   #50
kalare
Private
Rep

ALL!!! RB has placed links in the first post of the RB GB forum posting for ordering. All those that have signed up, please place your order and post in the forum letting him know that you've placed an order so we can keep all the participants on track. If necessary, you may want to PM him at the same time with your full name and whatnot.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #51
JD Z4MR
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 MR

Hi, please add me to the GB for the 2 piece rotors and ET500 pads.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #52
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep

I have not been able to answer from RB on pad sensor question. Maybe folks here can help.

Does aftermarket calipers have pad sensors? If not, how to disable this so the light will not stay on? I don't want to have a brake warning light on all the time.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 05:26 PM   #53
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Once you go stud you'll never go back. Trust me. They make your track life that much easier, I can change out a set of wheels in less than 15 minutes, 10 with power tools.

Aftermarket calipers do not have pad sensors, or slots available for the pad sensors. There are some that do though. For the pad sensors, just zip-tie the factory sensors somewhere on the strut to keep it from getting damaged. As long as the sensor is not tripped you'll be okay. You just need to visibly inspect your pads regularly to make sure they're not running too low.

I need the rear rotors. I wonder if they'll do the discount for me even if I ONLY need the rear rotors.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #54
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Z4MR View Post
Hi, please add me to the GB for the 2 piece rotors and ET500 pads.
You've got to follow the link in the first post, add yourself as a user on the RB forum, and post what you have above.

I haven't paid yet. I will by end of day Sat at latest. I'm trying to size and print out the template of the calipers to see whether my existing wheels would have any fitment issues (and what size spacer might be required). Might just go with the rotors for now and the PU later if I can't sort this quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I need the rear rotors. I wonder if they'll do the discount for me even if I ONLY need the rear rotors.
I don't think so, since the front rotor gets you in to the discount on rear (at least that's how I read the thread on RB). But it can't hurt to PM them or post up and ask!

Last edited by Finnegan; 10-09-2012 at 05:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 12:44 AM   #55
kalare
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Maybe they'll let you jump on since you're a past customer, I would post up in the GB...if not maybe there's another person that is in the GB that doesn't want rears and they could order for you?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 04:19 AM   #56
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

great i'm up late researching brakes again.

before i pull the trigger on oem stuff maybe someone can help clear some things up and possibly convince me to join the group buy.

if RB does the rear rotors... will there be a supply for the future in the event we need to replace the rings?

i'm kind of intrigued by the pu upgrade path. might be something to think about since you qualify for the discounted price if bought within a year. for the bbk it seems you have to buy it all up front to justify the cost...else you'd just be buying oem sized stuff first and replacing the rings with larger ones soon after.

i read through the rb forum and could have missed it, but no mention of pricing on rears?

here's a real nub/dumb question:

when you go from oe size to bbk, apart from discs and adapters, brake pad size changes too right?

cliffs: i'm interested in front and rear and have 5 days to decide if i want in or not.
      10-10-2012, 09:20 AM   #57
The HACK
Rep

Just looking at the 335i rears will give you some idea about price for the rears. I'd say the rears will cost more than the front due to needing to retain the drum brake mechanism for the parking brake.

I've seen the prototype rear rotors, and the rings are of a standard size so replacement rings should be readily available.

If you do the caliper upgrade you will need new pads for the calipers.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #58
kalare
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubydafa View Post
great i'm up late researching brakes again.

before i pull the trigger on oem stuff maybe someone can help clear some things up and possibly convince me to join the group buy.

if RB does the rear rotors... will there be a supply for the future in the event we need to replace the rings?

i'm kind of intrigued by the pu upgrade path. might be something to think about since you qualify for the discounted price if bought within a year. for the bbk it seems you have to buy it all up front to justify the cost...else you'd just be buying oem sized stuff first and replacing the rings with larger ones soon after.

i read through the rb forum and could have missed it, but no mention of pricing on rears?

here's a real nub/dumb question:

when you go from oe size to bbk, apart from discs and adapters, brake pad size changes too right?

cliffs: i'm interested in front and rear and have 5 days to decide if i want in or not.
If you go into the RB forum GB for BMW, there's a thread for base model M3. These are the same size rotors as the MZ4 and ZCP rear rotors. They are priced at around 690 with the 20% discount, so I would expect the pricing should stay similar. RB did not want to release exact pricing info as the GB was originally for only front rotors and they have very nicely extended it to so many other options. The pricing will be released when the rear rotors become available, probably within 4-6 wks.

The rear rotors require special pads as the hardware to attach the rings gets in the way of the OEM pad. This is the same as PFC rear rotors for the E46 M3.

I would not worry about rear rotor ring replacement, like TheHack says, seems to be a common size.

If you're going BBK, then of course brake pad sizes change as the calipers change as well.

@ RobMCoupe: Just ziptie your sensors up and out of the way if you chose to get the BBK, this is what most people do.

Everyone that signed up, please place your orders!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #59
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

thanks hack and kalare.
      10-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #60
kalare
Private
Rep

UPS says there are rotors and stud kits waiting for me after work!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #61
kalare
Private
Rep

Big to RB for shipping so fast!!!

It'll be a while before I put them on, as I'd like to throw them on at the same time as the rears, but it's nice to be able to look at them ...

Let's get those orders in people, so far out of the 12 that signed up only 3 have placed orders!!! ...and I already have my rotors!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #62
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep

Nice!!!!

I am still deciding if I want OE size or e90. Should decide by this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 01:59 AM   #63
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMCoupe View Post
Nice!!!!

I am still deciding if I want OE size or e90. Should decide by this weekend.
It was a tough decision for me as well. This post helped me make up my mind.

I put in for the stock rotor size only for now. Paid up and awaiting shipping now.

May still do the PU caliper upgrade, but since there's no rear version, the benefit in pedal feel it's a big as a 4 corner solution. The other benefit for me was ease in swapping/replacing pads. Having the PU kit makes it 50% better. But it's not 100%, and having fronts only seems a bit "unfinished" to me.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 09:41 AM   #64
kalare
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
It was a tough decision for me as well. This post helped me make up my mind.

I put in for the stock rotor size only for now. Paid up and awaiting shipping now.

May still do the PU caliper upgrade, but since there's no rear version, the benefit in pedal feel it's a big as a 4 corner solution. The other benefit for me was ease in swapping/replacing pads. Having the PU kit makes it 50% better. But it's not 100%, and having fronts only seems a bit "unfinished" to me.
As far as I know, they should be coming out with a PU rear kit as well in the future.

Thanks for placing your order.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #65
OG_M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ae86; z4mc

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2007 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
1985 AE86  [0.00]
how much are replacement rotor rings alone?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #66
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG_M3 View Post
how much are replacement rotor rings alone?
They're about $250 ea., and need to be bought in pairs.

http://www.racingbrake.com/BMW-335i-...403-03-381.htm
Appreciate 0