ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
db85
Rep
Drives: daily: i30, second:?

Why isn't the Z4MC not as well known as other M cars?

I'm a prospective buyer currently looking to purchase a second vehicle. The three cars on top of my list are the Lotus Exige, BMW 1M and Z4MC.

I really quite like the Z4MC but I can't help but notice that not even avid car enthusiasts are well aware of it as they tend to be with every other BMW M. For instance, I tell my friends and coworkers that I test drove an Exige or a 1M and they go crazy. I tell them I'm looking for a Z4MC as well and they go .

I can't quite pinpoint why. All the written reviews from '07 appear to be quite favorable although without any video reviews from any of the well known test drivers. The design seems to polarize opinions. People either love it or resolutely look away. I'm on the favorable side and I think it looks so elegant.

Any ideas?

[edit] Don't think that this lack of public recognition is making me hesitate on the Z4MC. It doesn't. I just want something to run the nurburgring and road trip in europe.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by db85 View Post
I'm a prospective buyer currently looking to purchase a second vehicle. The three cars on top of my list are the Lotus Exige, BMW 1M and Z4MC.

I really quite like the Z4MC but I can't help but notice that not even avid car enthusiasts are well aware of it as they tend to be with every other BMW M. For instance, I tell my friends and coworkers that I test drove an Exige or a 1M and they go crazy. I tell them I'm looking for a Z4MC as well and they go .

I can't quite pinpoint why. All the written reviews from '07 appear to be quite favorable although without any video reviews from any of the well known test drivers. The design seems to polarize opinions. People either love it or resolutely look away. I'm on the favorable side and I think it looks so elegant.

Any ideas?

[edit] Don't think that this lack of public recognition is making me hesitate on the Z4MC. It doesn't. I just want something to run the nurburgring and road trip in europe.
The other models are more current, if you brought up the Z4MC in 2006 or 2007, you might have got a different response?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
db85
Rep

I used to be in New York during that time period. Even then the response was more like "it's still a Z4, you can get a E46 M3 instead". Was I simply in the wrong place at the wrong time? Maybe it was better received in Europe?

I regard the Z4MC to be the second purest M car since the M1 and the recipe is all rather spectacular compared dropping M engines and suspension components in a mundane pedestrian chassis.

Last edited by db85; 07-23-2012 at 12:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 01:07 PM   #4
v3.2mc
Not a New Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: with both hands and both feet

Garage List
2007 ///M Coupé  [10.00]
Quote:
... although without any video reviews from any of the well known test drivers...
Richard Hammond and Jason Plato have both done video reviews of the z4m (albeit roadsters); both should be on YouTube.
#1498E86 | Sepang Bronze | Dark Sepang Leather | Carbon Leather Trim
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
db85
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3.2mc View Post
Richard Hammond and Jason Plato have both done video reviews of the z4m (albeit roadsters); both should be on YouTube.
Hmm, maybe I'm making myself unnecessarily picky. The Z4MC I test drove felt pretty different from the roadster version. I felt significantly more "track potential" with the coupe.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
mgwatson48
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E86 M

not as well known because there was a fraction as many made when compared to m3s...
      07-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #7
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Hmm, maybe I'm making myself unnecessarily picky. The Z4MC I test drove felt pretty different from the roadster version. I felt significantly more "track potential" with the coupe.
I say you care way too much what others say/think. It is obvious to me that you have made up your mind on z4mc. Buy it and drive it how it is meant to! Good luck

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
I just want something to run the nurburgring and road trip in europe.
It sounds like there is a possibility this will be shut down from what I read today...

http://blog.caranddriver.com/nurburg...-nordschleife/
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 02:16 PM   #9
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

the z4mc is a real car mans car. It just doesnt make any sense for most, but for the select few that love cars in a specific way it just works.

dont get me wrong, the exige and the m1 are car people cars, but the z4m is much more obscure.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #10
Loogey Clapp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakib View Post
I say you care way too much what others say/think. ...
I agree here. You care too much about what others think. What matters is what you think. Test drive all 3 and get the one you like, er strike that, the one you love most.
      07-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #11
Walkurie
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 M Roadster / 99 Jaguar XK8

It is a personal thing. Always wanted an M car, and this is as pure M as any other. No significant difference in overall performance compared to any of the other M models, and better than most. Have had mine for 6 years and no plans to consider anything else. Suspect that at some point, it will receive the recognition it deserves, once people reflect on some of the models receiving M badges today.
      07-23-2012, 02:53 PM   #12
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

There are several factors.

The first being the rarity and limited production.

I remember going to my first car show with my Z4M and people kept saying "they made an M version of the Z4???"

Hell, I'm a BMW fan and I didn't know they made Z3M or Z4M until 3 years ago!

For 75% of the population, "M" doesn't have any special meaning at all. I went to a cars and coffee with some friends and I had to explain to the husband (who is a mechanic and well versed) what "M" means and stands for.

It's the same thing with Audi..s4, RS4, TTrs, etc., and Porsche Boxster S, Carerra S, etc.

And who the hell knows what an AMG is?

The general population knows nothing about "M".

The general car enthusiast population knows about "M3, M5, etc."

The purist european car population knows about "M roadsters and coupes".
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 03:00 PM   #13
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

I think it's simply because not too many were purchased. People know about cars when they see them on the road and ask about them. In the case of the Z4MC people just didn't purchase many of them and so few were made... and so they are not commonly recognized. I LOOOOOOOVE that people have no clue what it is. It's amazing how many people ask about it at gas stations or parking lots.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 03:59 PM   #14
db85
Rep

Thanks for the response guys. I knew I'd be accused of being image-centric, but I was just curious. I didn't have that many sources to research and went to test drive without as much knowledge as I did with the other two.

4,275 Z4MCs were produced as opposed to the 1M's 2,700+. My friend suggests BMW simply didn't invest in marketing to make way for the current Z4 which was announced barely 2 years after the Z4MC's initial announcement. Adding that the 1M may not have had the same pressure since the new 1er is an economy car.

Regardless, I love the Z4MC.

==

At the moment, I'm just trying to figure out how I'm going to use my cars during my stay here for the next few years.
Option 1: Exige + i30 = Track weapon + all weather economy car
Option 2: Z4MC + i30 = Road trip capable mini GT + all weather economy car
Option 3: 1M = Track capable, road trip capable, all weather, factory warranty

The Nordschleife is a public road section 90% owned by the local government, so that part of the track is expected to stay open regardless of the fate of Nurburgring Automotive GMBH. The Nordschleife, for me, is one of the biggest reasons of being excited about moving here. It would be a lot less fun without it.

Last edited by db85; 07-23-2012 at 04:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 04:49 PM   #15
flyzipper
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 M Coupe

Garage List
Primarily I'm agreeing with the rarity opinions expressed above, but it also wasn't BMW's best product branding exercise.

These are pretty typical exchanges for me when asked what I drive:

Me: "I drive a BMW M Coupe" (trying its real product marketing name).
Other: "you mean an M3?".

OR

Me: "I drive a BMW e86" (taking the gearhead approach).
Other "e-WTF?"

OR

Me: "I drive a BMW Z4 M Coupe" (trying to be more verbose).
Other: "Oh yeah, my mom drives one of those" (they only hear the 'Z4')

... followed by ...

Me: "It's a Z4 with a fixed hard top, sportier engine, suspension, brakes and limited slip differential".
Other: "Ohhhh ..." (pretending like that makes sense, and they now understand what I drive).
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #16
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
1815 Z4MC's (NA). Not going to read a plethora of reviews on such a small production run.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 04:54 PM   #17
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyzipper View Post
Primarily I'm agreeing with the rarity opinions expressed above, but it also wasn't BMW's best product branding exercise.

OR

Other "e-WTF?"

OR

... followed by ...

Me: "It's a Z4 with a fixed hard top, sportier engine, suspension, brakes and limited slip differential".
Other: "Ohhhh ..." (pretending like that makes sense, and they now understand what I drive).
.... trudat!
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 10:45 PM   #18
z-nigma
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 M Coupe

Quote:

OR

Other "e-WTF?"

OR

... followed by ...

Hahahah I can so relate to that. I get the blank stare so many times when I say "M Coupe." The funny thing, is that even with some people I've spoken to, they're aware of the Z3MC, but not so much on the Z4MC. So when I mention M Coupe, I've gotten the "Oh, the shoe thing?" and then I have to explain that it's a Z4.

Nothing wrong with owning a super rare car though... You'll always notice the few people who do actually know what it is because they're usually rubbernecking pretty extensively towards it. I know before I owned one, I *always* stopped and stared on the rare occasion I'd see one in person.

'06 Interlagos Blue M Coupe
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 02:09 AM   #19
ga41
Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:

OR

Other "e-WTF?"

OR

... followed by ...

A couple of acquaintances wouldn't believe that my car was a real M car so i popped the hood to show that big S54 engine. They said: "That's not proof. Anyone can put in an engine cover with an M badge on it..."

I gave up.
      07-25-2012, 02:59 AM   #20
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga41 View Post
A couple of acquaintances wouldn't believe that my car was a real M car so i popped the hood to show that big S54 engine. They said: "That's not proof. Anyone can put in an engine cover with an M badge on it..."

I gave up.
lol somebody at a meet i went to (a bmw meet no less) insisted my car was a z4 with M emblems and an S54 swap.

recent dyno experience. one of the workers at the shop goes...sick M3Z.

others just can't believe it's an '07.

i love when i see other Z owners...it's like they understand
      07-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #21
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga41 View Post

I gave up.
That is hilarious. Did you show them some of the online reviews, videos? Sounds like some obtuse folks...
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #22
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

It's far simpler than we all think.

BMW never marketed the MZ4. There were very little print ads. Almost no TV ADS. Practically zero presence on the major car show circuit.

The MZ4 was stuck between a rock and a hard place. It was nearly 10 seconds faster around the Ring compared to the M3 and was just as fast around it as the halo car, the M5. BMW had to balance on the fine edge of a sword, and can't afford to have anything take the shine off of the kings of their bread and butter. So the priced it $10,000 more than they really should and made it more expensive than the M3 and gave it no marketing support whatsoever.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0