ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

BMW Assist

got db error doing search, so want to know if people are still keeping the BMW assist ? I renew it last year and stuff but didn't even used it once.. should I renew it again ?
      03-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I never use mine. I still have it free on the 335 and only used it once when I got a flat for roadside assistance. Of course you can just call on the cell so it's rather useless to me. I would not pay to renew it when it expires on the 335. Don't have it on the Z.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #3
gcochard
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
How much does it cost?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Couple hundred bucks per year last time I saw pricing.

Also I take back not using it in the 335. There is one feature I used ALL the time which I forgot falls under BMW assist. The MyInfo which basically lets you send addresses from google maps on your computer to the car. However that only works with the newer iDrive system so it wouldn't be applicable in our cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep

199 a year. I might still keep it, its got that vehicle recovery stuff..
      07-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #6
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
I also tried searching for "bmw assist" and got a database error, but I think it's probably from the extremely large number of hits for "bmw".

I just bought a used 2006 Z4 M Roadster and decided to enroll in BMW Assist because we have it on our '11 335is Coupe and I wanted the roadside assistance and vehicle recovery features. I had to go to a sales person at a BMW dealership where they took my information and my credit car number. I thought it would be that simple but because the previous owner had let BMW Assist lapse, it was deactivated and had to be reactivated. When they went to print out the completed forms, it printed out a sheet that said:
Attention BMW Center Personnel. BMW Assist service action required!

The telematics device in this vehicle is currently deactivated. Upon completion of the Electronic Subscriber Agreement, the device will be automatically reactivated.

However, for the following vehicles (CDMA) new device phone numbers are assigned following re-activation and the telematics control unit must be reprogrammed with the new numbers (MIN & MDN) per SIB 84 22 05.
- MY 2007 and earlier 1, 3, 5, 6, and 7-series, X5 and X6
- MY2008 and earlier Z4
- MY 2010 and earlier X3
The salesperson said to take this to the service area. When I asked about this in service they said that that the car would have to be reprogrammed and would cost between $145 and $217, depending on how long it took. I went home and did a Google search for SIB 84 22 05 and it says that due to wireless service provider restrictions, the embedded phone in the Telematics Control Unit (TCU) is deactivated if the service has lapsed or was never enrolled. Once a new Electronic Suscriber Agreement (ESA) is completed, a new Mobile Identification Number (MIN) and Mobile Device Number (MDN) is automatically assigned. The new MIN and MDN are in the DCSnet Vehicle Service History for up to two weeks following reactivation. The new numbers have to be programmed and verified using Procedure "B842205_IK-bus_Vehicles" for the E85. I searched for this procedure but couldn't find it.

When we bought the 335is Coupe last year I bought a 24 hour subscription to BMW TIS (then $25, now $30) and downloaded a bunch of service and technical information for our car. I decided to do this for the Z4MR and so I looked for the SIB and the procedure. I found the SIB which had a link to a PDF of the procedure. Here's the procedure:
  1. Simultaneously press the Roadside Assistance "Wrench" button and the mayday "SOS" button for longer than 8 seconds. The TCU will automatically place two calls, approximately 20 seconds apart.
    • First call: "*22890 will displayed on the radio or the Nav display. the TCU will make a connection to the network provider. A verbal message stating that the phone is being programmed. At the end of the programming, a message should be heard stating that the phone was successfully programmed.
    • Second call: "*22891" will displayed on the radio or the Nav display. the TCU will make a connection to the network provider. A verbal message stating that the roaming capabilities are being updated. At the end of the programming, a message should be heard stating that the roaming capabilities were successfully updated.
  2. Switch the ignition off for 10 seconds. the new MIN and MDN have now been imported into the TCU.
  3. Test BMW Assist by placing a test call.
Time: Estimated reactivation time: 40 minutes or less
That's it! I did this and it worked fine. BMW Assist answered and I told them I was making a test call after resubscribing and they verified my information and I changed my password. It took me less than 5 minutes to do the procedure, make the test call, and verify my information. This is exactly what the dealer was going to do and charge $145-217!

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 10:47 PM   #7
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep

some dealer are scum.. that was a rip off