ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-25-2011, 12:05 PM   #23
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
^ There is another pokeybritches out there too.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 02:30 PM   #24
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

I'm guessing you had chosen your spot because it's pretty ideal -- few cars around, in a safe area, etc. The TSX dude may just have the same considerations about his new car and sees it as a kind of "first come first serve" thing. Sure, there is a chance that he's deliberately looking to piss you off, but I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt.

Does he ever park in the 'vette's spot?

If there's another spot that's just as good, I personally wouldn't confront him. They're unmarked spaces and it's his prerogative, frankly. If all of the other spots are crappy then it's up to you to get in before he does!

Trust me, I'm the same way with parking. At my work parking lot I'm very selective about where I park, and if I get in later than I expect and find my usual spot taken, I'll drive a little farther and find another curb to park next to.

What annoys me more are the people who park OVER the line into your spot when you've deliberately parked as close to the curb as possible to maximize your distance from the car next to you. Seriously, wtf!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 04:45 PM   #25
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

I can understand your frustration, but most people don't "get it." A spot is a spot to them. You might just have to let that spot go, or take it when you get the chance. Like you mentioned, it doesn't have your name on it, and although you may have a "gentleman's agreement" with the vette owner, this new guy might not even know of it, and if you confront him about it, he'll think you're a weirdo---because like you said, your name/house number isn't on it, and he doesn't "get it." Good luck.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 07:30 PM   #26
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

I understand the initial frustration, but as it's been said, it's not an assigned spot, so in the end the guy didn't do anything wrong. Again, like other people have been saying, find another spot if possible and spend time worrying about more important things.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 09:05 PM   #27
Etch52
Most roads are too short and too straight
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe - Premium Package

Garage List
Move on ...
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 09:34 PM   #28
bdn3d
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4m Coupe/ Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
The real key here for me in this scenerio is whether the new guy observed the existing behavior between you and the Z06 guy BEFORE deciding to take your park. We all know that there is no "reserved" space in public parking, except for the handicaped. Based on your description of how this happened, I am of the opinion he "observed" the parking behavior and thought to himself "hmmmmm, I'll take this space, looks safe".

As a car guy myself, if I moved into a new area and observed two "car guys" parking the way the two of you do, I would never jump in and start taking either of your parking spaces. As a fellow car aficionado, if I did that, I would look AND feel like a douche bag to both of you guys. Either this guy is a dick and doesn't care, or the other option, clueless.

John
John you hit the nail on this head, I am starting to think this guy is just an absolute idiot or he is doing it on purpose... For example AGAIN today I come out to my car and now he has parked right next to me in a different spot. Previous to this, I had decided to move down another 4 spots just to get away from any car and then today hes right next to me??? With my original spot he took wide open...

I can see where some of you guys make a great point and I am supposed to be the bigger person here and just park else where, but I have been... I have been having this problem for weeks.

Ok picture a parking garage You have 10 parking spots in an area of the garage that is otherwise desolate. If parking the #1 spot out of the 10 vacant spots is located on the far left then the 10th spot would be on the far right... now that you have pictured that, also picture this part of the garage is furthest from the entrance to the building so any normal person would not want to park here, unless the garage was full(its never full) or if you are someone like me. My spot would basically be spot 3 and the vette would be spot 5. I come home and see MR. DOUCHE in my spot so I move to spot 7. Then I come home I see Mr. DOUCHE is is spot 1. So I park in my normal spot...spot 3. Then I come home and hes in spot 2. (please remember that out of these 10 spots only me, mr vette, and DOUCHE park in them, so this means that on any given day you have 7 spots vacant.) So I move back to spot 7. I come home hes not home so I park in my original spot(3). I do not leave that day and then I come out to get in my car and hes right next to me in spot 2. AND then today... I parked in spot 7 because he took my spot (3) and then my girl and I leave in her car. We come back and hes now in spot 6. RIGHT NEXT TO ME!!! He has NEVER parked there, the vette is not there and he decides to park there??? I almost flipped!...At that very moment I saw him sitting in his car so I told my wife I was going to say something but I needed to run in the house to grab some stuff because I was going to take my motorcycle out for a spin...When I came out he was gone... so I figured it was probably for the best...at least for his sake. But then the weirdest thing happened, when I came home later tonight on my bike he was parked in the vettes spot(5) (mind you his spot has not been taken until today. So now the vette had to take 3 which was my spot but he parked all weird... I know the guy and he is very particular about his car, I can just tell by the way he parked his now pissed off too...

I have never seen this guy, but seriously hes either got to be the dumbest, most non observant person in the world, or hes doing this on purpose...

Im saying something the next time I see him. The office where I work is accross the street from where I live, so I can leave my car in one spot for several days but I don't even think that will work with this guy, he would still park right next to me, this is why I have to say something, to point out the obvious...
      09-25-2011, 10:18 PM   #29
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Has he parked too damn close or dinged/dented your door? If not, then I'm not sure I see the issue here. Especially given the other option no one has mentioned is the safety factor some folks see in parking next to another nice car.

He might see that you have a clean and very well cared for car and he may figure he's "safe" on the side that's parked next to you. He may be thinking "yes, this is a pretty open parking area with lots of spaces, but I've got a new car and I'm afraid some crap beater is going to park next to me and fling their door into my new car".

I'll do this on occasion--I'll park next to a well-cared for sports car in a way the hell out in a parking lot at Home Depot or whatever because I know the guy with the nice car isn't going to throw his door into mine or otherwise mess up my car (just like I'm going to be careful of his). People do that all the time out here--if I park out in BFE I'm not surprised when some other pricey or sporty well cared for car lands right the hell next to mine. It's a safety play. And if I don't do this some piece of **** car invariably parks next to me. At least this way I'm "covered" on one side. And so far, I've never had the guy with the nice car leave a mark on mine (can't say that for the beaters).

That's the other "Gentleman's agreement" out there--it's the one that says "I will take care of your car and I know you will take care of mine". Sort of a "got your back" kind of thing as he (and you, if he's a careful guy) have one full side of your car protected/blocked.

I'd leave it alone, or I'd just say "nice new car" when you see him and calmly say something like "you sure must like my car since you always park next to me". See what he says--he might just be paying you a compliment by parking next to you as he figures you're very responsible and conscientious a car guy just like him.

Last edited by Finnegan; 09-25-2011 at 11:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 10:20 PM   #30
AirOpsMgr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i

When I responded to this post earlier on I didn't get the impression that it was such a huge problem, but now, after reading your last post, I realize you are a bit more perturbed than I thought.

Trust me, I'm the first one to stand up when anyone encroaches upon my rights or territory, but I think you are getting a little too worked up about all of this.

One quick point: As being a fellow motorcycle rider (who was recently T-boned by a drunk driver that put me through the windshield of my 2008 GoldWing with several months of recovery), I might suggest that you are already aware of the mass existence of stupid people out there that all good drivers/riders must deal with. With that said, I know I might be coming off harsh, but trust me, there are many better things in life to worry about ...... this ain't it ...... let it go and just revel in the fact that this guy is just a tool ....

good luck to you

brgds,
Greg

Last edited by AirOpsMgr; 09-25-2011 at 10:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 11:06 PM   #31
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
OK, now he has started following you guys around .................... you move down 3 spaces ................... he follows you down 3 and parks next to you. You move down 7 spaces.................. he follows you down 7 and again parks next to you, LMAO. Sorry man, I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing at how absurd this is. I now don't think he's being a dick, I think "he thinks" he's being safe by parking next to a nice car in a vacant/remote area of the garage, versus being "solo" in a vacant/remote area of the garage. How about when you see him ask politely "hey man, the 'vette and I were wondering why you deliberately park next to us each time we move, are you trying to be safe and protect your car from door dings? If so, could we ask you a favor and leave a space between us". He might be cool about it, but then again he might be an ass .................... that's the risk you take in approaching him about it.

John
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 12:03 AM   #32
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
That's a risk i'd take. Talk to him about it. I'm sure it'll get rectified one way or another

Last edited by johanness; 09-26-2011 at 12:07 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 08:56 AM   #33
45ACP
Long Live the 1911
United_States
Rep
Drives: Hooptie

Garage List
Something similar happened to me at my work's parking lot. I was annoyed as hell, but parked somewhere else instead.

Try to borrow some POS beater and park close enough to the TSX the driver's side door where the owner is forced to climb in through the passenger side. Do that every day until he moves his car. He'll get the message soon enough!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 09:09 AM   #34
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Find him on http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/ and link him to this thread.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 09:37 AM   #35
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si  [9.00]
Sounds like this guy has a mancrush on you and is intentionally doing this so he can meet you. Lol...

I feel your pain. Some people are just clueless. I can park the furthest spot away from everyone else at work, mall, etc. and you'll always get the SOB who wants to park next to you despite all the other spots. If it were another nice car parked properly, ok, forgiveable. They just want a safe place to park. If it were a POS, they're just looking to piss me off - most likely. As long as my car is not dinged, no harm, no foul. But the day some POS parks next to me and my car is dinged, you can bet that car is gonna get it back 10 fold.

In your situation, you guys don't have assigned parking. Kinda tough to mark out your territory. I'm with you 100%. It is dick move to take your spot that you're normally in. Some guys just don't know how to live by unwritten "man rules". He's probably the type of guy to snitch on a cheating friend or tell your boss if you've been slacking at work.
      09-26-2011, 10:19 AM   #36
Z4maniac
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0i

I feel your pain and maybe I would have been equally stressed if I were in your shoes.
But as others suggested, maybe he just wants to park next to a pretty, well-maintained car.
If anything, maybe you could just meet and greet him. You would be surprised at how different a person maybe when compared to the impression they may inadvertently (I hope so in your case) be giving you.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 11:04 AM   #37
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
OK, now he has started following you guys around .................... you move down 3 spaces ................... he follows you down 3 and parks next to you. You move down 7 spaces.................. he follows you down 7 and again parks next to you, LMAO. Sorry man, I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing at how absurd this is. I now don't think he's being a dick, I think "he thinks" he's being safe by parking next to a nice car in a vacant/remote area of the garage, versus being "solo" in a vacant/remote area of the garage. How about when you see him ask politely "hey man, the 'vette and I were wondering why you deliberately park next to us each time we move, are you trying to be safe and protect your car from door dings? If so, could we ask you a favor and leave a space between us". He might be cool about it, but then again he might be an ass .................... that's the risk you take in approaching him about it.

John
I think that is precisely what is going on! In fact, I had the same thing happen to me a few weeks back. One day at work, I couldn't get a good end spot, so I wound up in a different part of the lot. As I was about to hop out, I noticed a guy in a newer 3 Series driving around, and then he pulled in next to my just washed and waxed Z4. He remarked to me "I figured I was safe parking next to you!" I had a chuckle at that. And a few times now, I have come out of the office to find his car next to mine. At least that side of my car is safe!

Cheers!!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 11:55 AM   #38
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
lol, I love how every thread like this turns childish at some point.

I would personally leave my car there for a while so they get used to parking in a different spot. If that is not available, it doesn't hurt to say something. Just be ready for them to be an ass and say F off, cause that may happen if they are not just unaware that you usually park there. Either way at least you know where the resolution goes from there.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 01:04 PM   #39
Loogey Clapp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si

As I started reading this thread, I thought along the lines of peeing on your spot to mark it and then peeing on his tire so that the dogs are attracted to it. However when I got to Finnegan's post, I became rational again. Well put Finnegan! BTW... if the garage is so desolate in this area, why don't you, the vette and Mr. Douche use 2 spots each?
      09-26-2011, 01:31 PM   #40
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Have we absolutely ruled out that this driver is not a very attractive female who just wants to keep one side of her new luxury car safe? Does that change anything, or are you still going to say something?

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 03:05 PM   #41
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
^^^ now THERE'S the glass-half-full scenario we're all playing out!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 03:23 PM   #42
MZHammer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E85 Z4M, F82 M4

Garage List
2016 M4  [0.00]
2006 BMW Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
^^^ now THERE'S the glass-half-full scenario we're all playing out!
Bow-chick-a-wow-wow.....
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 03:51 PM   #43
mikeinsf
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Roadster

Sounds like a case of false sense of entitlement to me.

2007 ///M roadster
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 04:08 PM   #44
TriAdX
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1968 Mustang - 07 Z4MC

Just talk to em and tellem he should use spot 7.. so now u guys are 3, 5 and 7.

tellem it's more aesthetically pleasing than 2,3 and 5 :-P

2007 Z4M Coupe - 2010 Ducati 848 - 1968 Mustang 302
Appreciate 0