ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-26-2012, 02:04 PM   #1
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

Clear Bra..temporary DIY

Part of my bodywork plan for the next 2 years is to have my aero side skirts and front bumper resprayed.

So far, my front quarters and hood are in very good shape, except for some microscopic chips only visible from a foot away.

Anyways, I was going to have my front fenders, bumper after respray, hood and aeros professionally clear bra'd next year.

In the meantime, I was afraid of additional damage done to my hood and quarters.

For under $100, invisiblemask.com is offering the mirror, fenders and hood kit with venture shield.

I wanted to just do the hood myself, I figure it would be the easiest to do and I have done some minor vinyl work in the past.

My main concerns are:

1. Is it possible to DAMAGE the paint on a DIY pre-cut clear bra installation if I follow the wet install directions?

2. I have done some vinyl and tint work before, is it possible to do an "acceptable" job to just last this Fall / early Spring before the pros get to it? At this point I'm looking for protection over aesthetics.

And I don't really care about the $100 price, so I don't care about saving the money and putting it towards a professional install.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

If the car has been painted before (don't know if it has to hasn't) when you go to remove the clear-bra...it will usually take the clearcoat and sometimes the paint off.

I've only seen this once personally, and it was because the customer car the car painted, and got the clear bra installed BEFORE the paint was cured.

The hood and fenders are extremely easy to do, it's an easy pattern. The mirror has a lot more curves to it, and you really need patience to do an acceptable job.

I have ventureshield on my car and it's not noticeable at all...unless I really point it out to someone.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

It would only be installed on original paint.

Then I would wait 4 - 6 months before the professional install once I do have the parts painted.
Appreciate 0