ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > Marketplace > Classifieds : For Sale / Wanted / Group Buys
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-01-2010, 06:14 PM   #1
wbrewer3
Registered
Rep
Drives: Hopefully Z4

Looking for Z4

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
None

Item Interest
Hey guys, First time poster and I need some advice.

I'm currently a college student who owns a 2009 Jeep Wrangler. As fun as the Wrangler has been, it's just a horrible HORRIBLE interstate car and I never get to take it to our farm in KY anymore. As someone who loves cars, I have always admired BMWs.
Anyways, to stop just short of being pedantic, I am really seriously considering buying an early model Z4 as a trade in for my jeep. I have done a lot of looking around and researching online and this is where I'm at. According to online prices and Kelly Blue Book I should at least get around 17k in trade in value for my Jeep and around 20k if I sell it myself.

This brings me to my main points.

1) What do you think I should be looking for mileage, year, model wise and what features are must haves?
2) I could see privately and buy privately and do better but is it worth the risks? On my own I've found a few cars around 15k and 40k or less miles, but these are from private sellers. The last thing I want is to get a lemon or a car which has been abused.
3) Are Z4s reliable? Below is an example of something I could probably trade straight up for and potentially get something extra. Would this be a good car? http://www.bmwofnashville.com/used/B...80aaea8298.htm

In conclusion I apologize for being so long winded. I really really want a Z4, but at the same time am scared to death of trading in a very reliable car (I know American cars suck but Jeep Wranglers are one of the most reliable cars ever made) for something that could suck.

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 08:06 PM   #2
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Just look around and don't settle for something that you don't want. I recommend taking the car to a BMW dealership for a Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI) if you are seriously considering it. It will cost around 290 to have it done but is well worth it in the long run. Also if they find minor things wrong, you could talk down the price. My knowledge on Z4s is not very extensive as I am having mine delivered on Tuesday, but these forums (and forums like these) are great. Good luck finding your dream car and take that baby down to Tail of the dragon (Deals Gap, TN)!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 10:28 PM   #3
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrewer3 View Post
Hey guys, First time poster and I need some advice.

I'm currently a college student who owns a 2009 Jeep Wrangler. As fun as the Wrangler has been, it's just a horrible HORRIBLE interstate car and I never get to take it to our farm in KY anymore. As someone who loves cars, I have always admired BMWs.
Anyways, to stop just short of being pedantic, I am really seriously considering buying an early model Z4 as a trade in for my jeep. I have done a lot of looking around and researching online and this is where I'm at. According to online prices and Kelly Blue Book I should at least get around 17k in trade in value for my Jeep and around 20k if I sell it myself.

This brings me to my main points.

1) What do you think I should be looking for mileage, year, model wise and what features are must haves?
2) I could see privately and buy privately and do better but is it worth the risks? On my own I've found a few cars around 15k and 40k or less miles, but these are from private sellers. The last thing I want is to get a lemon or a car which has been abused.
3) Are Z4s reliable? Below is an example of something I could probably trade straight up for and potentially get something extra. Would this be a good car? http://www.bmwofnashville.com/used/B...80aaea8298.htm

In conclusion I apologize for being so long winded. I really really want a Z4, but at the same time am scared to death of trading in a very reliable car (I know American cars suck but Jeep Wranglers are one of the most reliable cars ever made) for something that could suck.
these cars are fairly reliable and easy to maintain, but the top's motor can go bad if the water drains aren't cleaned regularly. .

I'd go for a 3.0 liter engine, 6 speed manual, and sport package which gives you lower ride height-18" wheels-sports suspension-and MUCH MUCH better throttle response.

The one you posted is slow, and WAY overpriced. To give you an idea, I sold my 2003 z4 3.0 with navi, sports, and other stuff with 97k miles for $10500. You can find a nice, 50k mile car for about $12k
      04-01-2010, 11:43 PM   #4
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
The Wrangler is a great vehicle and a lot of fun, but awful when driving on the expressway... or basically anytime over 60mph.

I'm not sure what your local market is like, but don't assume you'll get KBB pricing. Look through the classifieds and online to see what other '09 Wrangler's are going for. KBB and what people are actually willing to pay can be quite different, and you'll always get more selling it on your own vs. trading it in.

1. I'd get a Z4 with the 3.0L engine, and preferably the N52 motor - which is in '06-08 cars. I'd try to find something sub 50k miles, and M-seats are definitely an option to look for! Are you looking for a coupe or roadster?

2. That's all up to you. You could get a great car when purchased privately. Search the BMW-USA site, the BMW-CCA site, and this forum for used vehicles, enthusiast tend to care for their vehicle more then people who think of it as just a car. If you do find a private party car you're interested in, I'd have a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) done by a BMW dealership before I agreed on a price. And don't limit yourself to vehicles in your area, look nationwide.

3. As for reliability, there's always some risk and in the past German cars were known for their quirks (mostly electrical). For the most part, the Z4 is a solid car. With regular maintenance, you can easily put well over 100k miles on them, but your cup-holders will break and/or frustrate you from the 2nd day you own the car.

Welcome to the forum; if you can't find the info on Z4's here, you won't find it anywhere.