ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-06-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
PrinceMiro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: z4 3.0i

Question about alignment issues

So I went to get an alignment and the guy said that he adjusted it as much as he could. He said something about an "eccentric" or some rubber bushing/mount that may be worn and preventing him from adjusting the camber/toe/caster anymore. Can anyone shed some light on this? I'm posting a picture which I would think includes the part he's talking about. Can anyone point to the number in the diagram below? Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 11:40 PM   #2
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceMiro View Post
So I went to get an alignment and the guy said that he adjusted it as much as he could. He said something about an "eccentric" or some rubber bushing/mount that may be worn and preventing him from adjusting the camber/toe/caster anymore. Can anyone shed some light on this? I'm posting a picture which I would think includes the part he's talking about. Can anyone point to the number in the diagram below? Thanks!

The eccentric bolt/washer on each side are items 10 and 11. They are rotated to adjust the camber (which should be done before the toe-in). 3 bolts on each side marked item 19 are loosened and plate 17 is moved to adjust toe-in.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 12:05 AM   #3
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is

Since you posted drawing of the rear Im guessing he at least told you the problem is with the rear setup.
Ask if the rear trailing arm bushings (#4 in your pic) are worn out (RTABs). This is the most likely culprit. If so they have to be replaced.
If you have some mech ability and the proper tools (Search DIY RTAB here or on the E46 Fanatic forum) this is not impossible to do yourself - but if not... its gotta get done.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=673800

Unless you track or just want the car much tighter (and rougher) I'd go with a rubber bushing
Parts:
ECS : http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-Z4-3.0i...g_Arm/ES57714/
or
http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info...products_id=59

Good Luck

Last edited by BruceJ; 07-07-2012 at 12:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 12:07 AM   #4
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

Can you give us more information on what he told you, what alignment you received and the miles on the chassis?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 02:25 PM   #5
PrinceMiro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
The eccentric bolt/washer on each side are items 10 and 11. They are rotated to adjust the camber (which should be done before the toe-in). 3 bolts on each side marked item 19 are loosened and plate 17 is moved to adjust toe-in.
Thanks a lot!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceJ View Post
Since you posted drawing of the rear Im guessing he at least told you the problem is with the rear setup.
Ask if the rear trailing arm bushings (#4 in your pic) are worn out (RTABs). This is the most likely culprit. If so they have to be replaced.
If you have some mech ability and the proper tools (Search DIY RTAB here or on the E46 Fanatic forum) this is not impossible to do yourself - but if not... its gotta get done.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=673800

Unless you track or just want the car much tighter (and rougher) I'd go with a rubber bushing
Parts:
ECS : http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-Z4-3.0i...g_Arm/ES57714/
or
http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info...products_id=59

Good Luck
I don't track but I do want the car much tighter. I'll be changing the struts and springs soon. So, I'll probably get the RE RTAB's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seank View Post
Can you give us more information on what he told you, what alignment you received and the miles on the chassis?
Sure. I just had a regular 4 wheel alignment because I just went from a 17" square setup to an 18" staggered setup with a different offset and tire size in the rear. Passenger side rear tire had one tread barely off the ground. Driver's side had all treads evenly on the ground. 72k miles on the chassis. It's a 10 year old car (Sept 2002 production). I figure the rubber bushings are starting to go. I've already had to change the FCA's, FCAB's, and FSM's because the rubber in those parts had deteriorated pretty badly.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #6
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

Quote:
Sure. I just had a regular 4 wheel alignment because I just went from a 17" square setup to an 18" staggered setup with a different offset and tire size in the rear. Passenger side rear tire had one tread barely off the ground. Driver's side had all treads evenly on the ground. 72k miles on the chassis. It's a 10 year old car (Sept 2002 production). I figure the rubber bushings are starting to go. I've already had to change the FCA's, FCAB's, and FSM's because the rubber in those parts had deteriorated pretty badly.
Stock bushings are good for about 50,000 miles before they begin to deteriate, depending on roads and conditions. You are probably due.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #7
PrinceMiro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seank View Post
depending on roads and conditions. You are probably due.
You have no idea. I live in Jersey.
Appreciate 0