ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-17-2015, 11:57 PM   #1
dfjaws
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 / E86 M Coupe

New to ZPost. First Time Z4 Owner Checking In!

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to pop in and say hello to the ZPost crowd as I recently bought a 2007 Z4 M Coupe, number 819. I'm very excited to say the least. I bought it in December but have had it garaged most of the time due to the season but I can't resist driving it at least a little bit.

It's my 6th BMW but my first M Z of any kind and I'm in love with it. Prior to this I had a '93 325i, '03 325i, '07 335i, and currently have a 02' Z3 2.5i (for sale) and a '08 E90 M3. So far, in the 1000 or so miles I've thrown at the car already, I've come to the conclusion that this will definitely be one of my favorites. The car is so raw and direct but at the same time, perfectly liveable every day. I also love how unique the car is. You just don't see them around and there's nothing else that looks quite like the E86. I also love the sound of the S54. It doesn't have as much induction noise as the S65, and it's not quite as brutal either, but it's just soooo sweet sounding. It's a real pleasure to be able to bounce back and forth between these two great engines. I look forward to enjoying the coupe this upcoming summer and autocrossing it as much as I can.

I bought the car bone stock. Every BMW I've had I've modified quite a bit although this time I don't have big plans for mods. There are some things I will be doing though, as I just can't leave it alone, haha. Currently I've done:

- Correct Z4 M floor mats and trunk mat (car had non M mats and it bugged the hell out of me)
- BMW roundel under hood (had an extra roundel, why not?)
- Infinity Basslink (sounds really great, installed easily, and is easily removeable come auto-x time)
- E39 Homelink GDO (I like the look of interated GDO's, why no factory Homelink BMW?!)
- Shorty antenna (should have been factory)

Things in the works:

- RPI scoop, filter, and skid plates. I have them, just need to install them.
- RPI exhaust. In the mail, should be here any day. So excited for this.
- Satellite radio retrofit. Not sure the best way to do this. Anyone have experience with the BAVSOUND units?
- F10 M5 shift knob, eventually.
- Refresh front bumper and clear bra it. Strangely, the car has clear film on the leading edge of the hood and fenders but not on the actual bumper. Weird.
- A Blendmount and hardwire job for my radar detector.

Also, I was wondering if this car has been in the community before. It'd be cool to know who the previous owner was. I bought it from a dealer in Colorado Springs, CO. The last seven of the vin are LL93822.

I'm looking forward to being a part of this niche of the BMW community. On to some pictures!

TL;DR - I bought a Z4M... and there are pictures.

image by dfjaws, on Flickr

02-18-2015, 12:15 AM   #2
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Nice Z3 matey, I too came across from that platform, and never looked back

I goat ask, what is that panel with the 1/2/3 buttons on it?

Cool car, any suspension mods in mind? you will LOVE this car mate. enjoy in good health
      02-18-2015, 12:25 AM   #3
dfjaws
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks!

It's a Homelink module (universal garage door opener) out of an E39 5 series that I installed.

As of right now I don't have suspension mods in mind but if I did do anything it would probably be a ground control coil over kit. I have used their products on my old E46 and on my Z3 and they were fantastic. I've also considered getting a factory strut brace as I feel like the engine bay kind of looks weird without one on this car.
      02-18-2015, 12:30 AM   #4
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roady

Nice car, welcome to the forum.
I'm in Colorado and Z4 owners don't seem to be very active in the forum, I see way more Z4's on the road and only a handful active in this form so its not likely you'll find the previous owner.
      02-18-2015, 02:55 AM   #5
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
Nice car man, welcome to the forum! The RPI will make a HUGE difference in the car, but be ready because they are really REALLY loud, especially in a Coupe. Intakes also help open up the sound of the engine to what it should have been from the factory. The F10 knob will make a nice change too, and the silver ring goes well with the Brushed Aluminum trim you have.
      02-18-2015, 08:39 AM   #6
RADRACR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4 M Coupé // '09 X5 d

Enjoy!

First bit of advice: burn off those V12s and get some real rubber ASAP.
'08 Z4 ///M Coupé (#1765/1815) — 1 of 68 Sepang Bronze / Black Nappa / Madeira Wood / 1 of 1 this combo
19" Advan RS / AP Racing / Bridgestone RE-11 / Autosolutions SSK / R.E. Diablo / R.E. trans mounts
'09 X5 35dSpace Grey / Saddle Brown
20" Forgestar F14 / SCR Delete
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 10:00 AM   #7
dfjaws
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMz4 View Post
Nice car, welcome to the forum.
I'm in Colorado and Z4 owners don't seem to be very active in the forum, I see way more Z4's on the road and only a handful active in this form so its not likely you'll find the previous owner.
Thanks for the insight! That's dissapointing that they aren't very active. It would have been cool to let the previous owner know their car is in good hands but oh well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate4641 View Post
Nice car man, welcome to the forum! The RPI will make a HUGE difference in the car, but be ready because they are really REALLY loud, especially in a Coupe. Intakes also help open up the sound of the engine to what it should have been from the factory. The F10 knob will make a nice change too, and the silver ring goes well with the Brushed Aluminum trim you have.
Enjoy!

Thanks for the compliment! I'm ready for loud. I've ordered the optional silencers as well. Those combined with the trunk mat and dynamat should be enough to dampen it if I feel like it's too loud but I don't think that will be the case. I probably won't do an intake as I've got the BMC filter and I would be pushed into B Street Prepared in auto cross if I modified the factory intake aside from a drop in filter. That's a class that I'll never be able to hang in, haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADRACR View Post
Enjoy!

Absolutely. I would have already ditched them but the fronts are about 80% and the rears are brand spankin new from the dealership so I'll just try to destroy them as quickly as possible, haha.

02-18-2015, 12:44 PM   #8
timmay
Private
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Welcome!

Do you still have your E90 M3? I used to have one as well but sold to buy my Z4MC
      02-18-2015, 03:20 PM   #9
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfjaws View Post
Every BMW I've had I've modified quite a bit although this time I don't have big plans for mods.
Famous last words

Congrats on the new ride
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 03:23 PM   #10
RADRACR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
Famous last words

I vividly remember myself saying "I'll never track this car."

3 years and 1 BBK later I'm looking forward to my next track day in April.
'08 Z4 ///M Coupé (#1765/1815) — 1 of 68 Sepang Bronze / Black Nappa / Madeira Wood / 1 of 1 this combo
19" Advan RS / AP Racing / Bridgestone RE-11 / Autosolutions SSK / R.E. Diablo / R.E. trans mounts
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 03:29 PM   #11
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Great car, welcome. love the small changes so far and the removable sub! RPIs sound incredible.

As for not letting the mod bug bite, I haven't found a good repellent. Along those lines, sent you a PM.

Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 03:47 PM   #12
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Enjoy!

Meh, unless he tracks the car, those tires are fine. I can't even tell the difference between inexpensive Nankangs/Hankooks and Michelins/Contis on the street. I'm on a set of Nankang Noble 2s now and I'm never going back to the expensive stuff for the street, it's a waste. I can't tell one bit of difference.

Nice car by the way, it will be your favorite car ever!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 03:58 PM   #13
RADRACR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Meh, unless he tracks the car, those tires are fine. I can't even tell the difference between inexpensive Nankangs/Hankooks and Michelins/Contis on the street. I'm on a set of Nankang Noble 2s now and I'm never going back to the expensive stuff for the street, it's a waste.
I got V12s after the OEM Contis and the difference was night and day on the ride home. Go-cart handling was gone. Delayed lateral response (on 19" wheels no less). Acceleration grip was good when new, but got progressively worse as they wore. At the wear bars, grip was almost like driving on a gravel road. I could throw the car around way easier, almost scary.

I had the same thoughts as you before I had this experience.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 04:32 PM   #14
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
I got V12s after the OEM Contis and the difference was night and day on the ride home. Go-cart handling was gone. Delayed lateral response (on 19" wheels no less). Acceleration grip was good when new, but got progressively worse as they wore. At the wear bars, grip was almost like driving on a gravel road. I could throw the car around way easier, almost scary.

New tires will always feel awful compared to old worn down tires, you're rolling around on big squishy blocks of tread and it takes a good 500 miles or so before the slick part of the mold wears off the tires.

I don't know, I probably just drive like an old man now and can't tell the difference anymore.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 05:24 PM   #15
dfjaws
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmay View Post
Welcome!

Do you still have your E90 M3? I used to have one as well but sold to buy my Z4MC
I do still have it. I plan on keeping the E90 and the Z4 long term as they are both in very good condition. Here's a picture of it from fall:

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
Famous last words

Congrats on the new ride
Quote:

I vividly remember myself saying "I'll never track this car."

3 years and 1 BBK later I'm looking forward to my next track day in April.
I'm trying to resist the urge because 1) it costs money, haha, and 2) I want to stay in B stock for autocross. I can't hang in BSP so I'd just be spending money so I can go drive and lose. Maybe long term I'll start digging into the car further but for now I'm just keeping it simple and enjoying it as is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Meh, unless he tracks the car, those tires are fine. I can't even tell the difference between inexpensive Nankangs/Hankooks and Michelins/Contis on the street. I'm on a set of Nankang Noble 2s now and I'm never going back to the expensive stuff for the street, it's a waste. I can't tell one bit of difference.

Nice car by the way, it will be your favorite car ever!
Quote:

My plan for now is to burn these tires off and then get new ones for these wheels and have them be my autocross wheels. I've been considering the BFG G Force Rivals as they are a 200 tread wear so I can stay in the stock class and they get favorable reviews. I have a set of BBS RS-GT's that I might put on the car for daily driving that have Continental DW's on them. I like those tires on my M3 so I'll probably continue to use those as a street tire.