ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-09-2015, 10:09 AM   #1
Ranger_Vet68
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i E85 Roadster

AUX Input

Question. I have been looking over several AUX hook ups so that I can use my ipod. Some have some type of converter, (It seems to be a small system that hooks up to the stereo and then has a lead for the AUX unit. That goes for near 285.00. Then I see there's a very simple AUX device that hooks up in the back and use's the ash tray for the AUX input. I have no idea which one to use. Dose one have better quality over the other???

Thank You.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 10:21 AM   #2
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

The difference is the degree of integration. More expensive units allow you to tuck the iphone/ipod away and control it using the stereo buttons (e.g., next/previous track, choosing playlists, etc.). They also use ur headunit/nav display to show various information (song name, playlist name, etc.), and some have additional capabilities like BT streaming.

The simple aux input is just that. You plug in your device using a 35mm jack and use the controls on the device.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 12:33 PM   #3
Ranger_Vet68
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thank You for the info. I don't need to use the features that you speak of. So I'll go with the lesser. Question. Any idea what the instillation would cost?? I wouldn't think it would be much because all need to be done is connect the device from the back and place their AUX unit in their ash tray.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 12:43 PM   #4
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E31 E90 F25 MCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
The difference is the degree of integration. More expensive units allow you to tuck the iphone/ipod away and control it using the stereo buttons (e.g., next/previous track, choosing playlists, etc.). They also use ur headunit/nav display to show various information (song name, playlist name, etc.), and some have additional capabilities like BT streaming.

The simple aux input is just that. You plug in your device using a 35mm jack and use the controls on the device.
Trying again Ranger?
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...9#post17263699

Gonna bash the Spaceman's advice now? (with, of course, 'all due respect')

Thought you were convinced that an AUX input would ruin your car . . .
      02-09-2015, 01:17 PM   #5
Ranger_Vet68
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I understood you the first time. I was just told by many individuals that the AUX input would work well, and sound well. My only issues is the following. The way the stereo unit was made, is that I go through CD's like candy. Only one single CD at a time. Heck if I could get a "CD Changer" I would. But I was told that the year of my Z4 Stereo Unit could not take any advantages of upgrades. So, I'm guessing I'm stuck with the unit I have....Pity that a 03 BMW did not have the foresight to add 21 century stereo upgrades, let alone the 20th century.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 02:58 PM   #6
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

Haha I hadn't seen the earlier thread!

On CD changer: I believe your car must be pre-wired for it to be installed in the trunk, if that's what you prefer. My old Z (also a 2003 model) was pre-wired, which is what I initially used to add an ipod hookup.

On AUX install: I have no idea what a shop would charge for it but it's a one hour DIY max, even as a first timer. The last time I did something similar it took less than 30 mins.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 08:12 AM   #7
imz4n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 3,0 si TITANIUM SIlVER

The standard business radio in the 03 did not play mp3 format cd's. If you do not like the ashtray location, there is a flat panel just under the radio ( this is where the 07 installed the standard Aux input jack. I have seen people run the jack to the glove box and even to the storage center at your elbow. to gain access to the radio aux plug the air vent above is removed, there are 2 retainer clips on the top side of the vent ( between the vent and the dash ). Slide 2 putty knives or 2 old credit cards in to release the clips ( some use screw drivers, be careful ) and the vent will slide out,unscrew two screws on the headunit and pull out. It is tight area to plug it in but can be done, run the cable from your chosen location and simply plug it in/ Reinstall the air vent bottom first after testing your installation.

02-10-2015, 09:40 AM   #8
Ranger_Vet68
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thank You. I have seen this done many times. I just don't want to F..K up my car by making any type of mistake. Yes, the car needs to be pre wired for any other "Add-On" I would prefer to have for my unit, but the care wasn't pre wired. Why?? I have no idea.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 09:51 AM   #9
imz4n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 3,0 si TITANIUM SIlVER

BMW went to universal wiring harness after the 04/04 build, Making one harness with all available connections was cheaper to build instead of making all the add on harnesses.
I see that you are in SoCal, check my signature for a link to our local Z group, just request to join.
      02-10-2015, 10:44 AM   #10
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I think no matter what the year YOU can easily add the Aux input to your car. Aux-in was standard on 07+ cars, but that unit can be hard to find. The ashtray unit is the best looking one to me as it is completely concealed when desired. Add me to the list of people who say don't be afraid to add it. It will in no way damage your radio.

If you want a cheaper more versatile route, this MINI aux-in is supposed to work as well: http://www.ecstuning.com/ES194874/?g...TacaAmt88P8HAQ You can run it to the sloping panel below the hvac controls which BMW uses on the 07+ cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 12:37 PM   #11
Ranger_Vet68
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

No. My point is if I installed it I might do damage. So I'll pick it up and go from there.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 12:49 PM   #12
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
I think no matter what the year YOU can easily add the Aux input to your car. Aux-in was standard on 07+ cars, but that unit can be hard to find. The ashtray unit is the best looking one to me as it is completely concealed when desired. Add me to the list of people who say don't be afraid to add it. It will in no way damage your radio.
[to op] I have a spare 07+ aux unit and the lower console faceplate with the factory cutout for it. You would just need the factory cable that connects it to the back of the radio, which your dealer could provide. PM me if you'd like to buy it. I'm located in San Gabriel.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 12:17 PM   #13
atomicskiracer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe,Miata Track car

Added mine last night, took maybe 30 minutes. Used the mini aux (Part Number 82 11 0 153 367) ordered from ECS tuning for $40 shipped. You cannot control it from the wheel/cd, but for $40 ill take it!

I would recommend watching this video to see how the vents come out:

Instructions here:
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...80#post9819780

Aux here:
http://www.ecstuning.com/ES194874/?g...VzUaAn0b8P8HAQ
Appreciate 0