ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-03-2015, 11:51 PM   #1
Klonny
Rep
Drives: '08 3.0i 77k auto w/paddles

No Amp?

So I jus took possession of my (new to me) 2008 3.0I and after trying to keep it under 90 on the backroads, I started digging around the car and noticed that there is no Amp.

the window sticker from '08 says it's a 10 speaker system, which I've confirmed at least by looking behind the seats and seeing the grills for the Subs, but after reading for literally hours on the forum I could have sworn that BOTH 10 speaker set ups (the hifi and Top or Carver hifi) has an amp next to the battery.

Well, I looked and I see the location where the amp would be..just behind the battery in the trunk..but no amp. Did they move the location in '08? or just kill the standard 6 speaker set up the final year of the E85?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 11:45 AM   #2
Klonny
Rep

Little more investigating and I notice two custom mics mounted in either vent, which I'm now thinking that perhaps the guy before did a custom install and just removed it after?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 12:22 PM   #3
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

I'm confused. Did you not try to turn on the radio before you bought the car?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 12:42 PM   #4
Klonny
Rep

Hard to turn the radio on when the car is in California and I'm in MN! it was an Ebay car from a small independent dealer.

To be clear the radio works fine, just very curious why it works fine since I was under the impression the HiFi 10 speaker had an amp next to the battery.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 01:06 PM   #5
WestCDA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4R 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klonny View Post
... I could have sworn that BOTH 10 speaker set ups (the hifi and Top or Carver hifi) has an amp next to the battery.

Well, I looked and I see the location where the amp would be..just behind the battery in the trunk..but no amp.
They moved the amplifier to the trunk bulkhead behind the driver seat in the facelift cars (2006+). It is behind the vertical carpet panel along with the telephony equipment (if installed).
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2015, 01:38 PM   #6
JCF
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 M Coupe

What westCDA said.

It's almost dead center behind the rear trunk carpet. Takes removing a couple plastic pop fastners to get to it.

Also- I think the "custom mics" you think you're seeing at the vents are just screw covers.
Appreciate 0