ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-14-2017, 03:23 AM   #331
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsonism View Post

(For those of you asking why this has finally come up, it's because I'll be towing the car soon more than likely as the property that it is currently stored on is not occupied by the shop anymore and at that junction I might as well have someone else start working on it or ship it somewhere else. If I have to buy a storage unit, I'm wondering just how large that unit is going to have to be, and if this vehicle will be stored there or restored somewhere else).
If they've moved the business and abandoned your car at their former premises it's pretty clear they're done with working on it, and have literally moved on. Sorry it's come to this end!

WRT moving forward, you're likely already well beyond equality on what you've spent vs. value of the car so it's a question of how you spend your disposable income to bring yourself pleasure. If you spend another $20K to get the car done right and back on the road at 100% the only sin will be not keeping it long term. If after it's fixed you keep it 10 years consider it $2K per year for entertainment costs. People go to Vegas annually, spend more than that per trip, and come away with little to nothing to show for it. You'll still have the E86.
      07-14-2017, 07:28 AM   #332
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:

RESOURCES
Mind you that about $20,000 has been invested into the car itself so far. I'm not really ashamed of this number anymore, it's just unfortunate that it's reached the point that it has. Would you still move forward?

The real question for all of this is, is it worth investing more? I'm attempting to remove the emotional out of this, because I know we all love these cars, but with all the failure so far and a perfectly functioning
For any problem that has happened and the resolution hasn't worked out as planned, it doesn't matter where you have been but where you are going. To me, any large repair on a car comes down to looking at the options and first one is to ask you is what is the car worth as it sits? Then, for each of the options you are considering, what do they cost and is the car worth more or less overall than it is worth now -

Current car value = $X (figure it out)
Repaired car value = Current car value + Repair cost needs to be higher than above or I wouldn't bother.
Repeat for the other options.

I would use the same logic if I had a $3k car where it needed a $1500 repair. If car as it sits was worth $500 but the $1500 repair would make it worth $3k again I would do it as I come out $1000 ahead in the end.

If the $3k car that is worth $500 as it sits needed a $2600 repair I wouldn't bother as the net result has me behind and I also have to deal with the hassle and chances the repair would be even higher.

Real numbers may be hard to figure out but estimates shouldn't be impossible and without some type of estimates on repair cost and value it is impossible to tell if further money makes sense. I would first consider a decent used engine and what the final installed price on it would be. Some re-sellers offer some amount of warranty.
      07-14-2017, 10:39 AM   #333
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

This story just seems to get worse, I'm so sorry for all you've gone through Arsonism. To think all of this started just because you took the step of doing preventative maintenance on the rod bearings. It's unreal.

I don't even know what to tell you. Get the car out of there and get it to a reputable shop and see what they think of the thing is all I can say. Sending the motor off to Lang isn't a bad idea, but that's still another what...$10k at least? I'd certainly want to know what I have in the car right now before I spent anymore money.

Also, let's be honest. We all love our cars of course and I personally will drive mine until it completely falls apart, but if you're talking big money here I think that money would be better spent on something newer. Another $20-25k would be better spent on something like an M2 for instance, get a nice car with a warranty and be worry free for awhile. That's something you certainly deserve after all this, best of luck to you.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 07:12 PM   #334
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
If they've moved the business and abandoned your car at their former premises it's pretty clear they're done with working on it, and have literally moved on. Sorry it's come to this end!
I just realized that I dropped that clue, but you are correct, that's the gist of the situation.

Quote:
WRT moving forward, you're likely already well beyond equality on what you've spent vs. value of the car so it's a question of how you spend your disposable income to bring yourself pleasure. If you spend another $20K to get the car done right and back on the road at 100% the only sin will be not keeping it long term. If after it's fixed you keep it 10 years consider it $2K per year for entertainment costs. People go to Vegas annually, spend more than that per trip, and come away with little to nothing to show for it. You'll still have the E86.
I hadn't really thought of it in those terms. I will admit that I've thought of something similar to it however. The cars that come out today do not really interest me much, especially for the 20k price range. To invest another 20k in another car currently means something more reliable and anyway you look at it, it will definitely not be as fun to drive. With that said, is it better to fix and hold onto an older car which you would actually enjoy driving? Or is it time to move to the safer options out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Current car value = $X (figure it out)
Repaired car value = Current car value + Repair cost needs to be higher than above or I wouldn't bother.
Repeat for the other options.
I follow your logic, actually to the "T". This wound up being a special case because of the money I owed into the car and what the car means/meant to me personally. The original repair started out at around a 10k-12k budget, with a chassis that would (if sold) would have been worth right around the same amount. At the most getting 24k out of the car would have been feasible for a rebuilt M Coupe to the right buyer if it was done right, and that would have put me ahead originally.

Complications arose which pushed the budget way over the amount that the car was worth, and with all that I had invested gradually into the project, there really wasn't a whole lot of turning back. If things had gone as planned, then I wouldn't be looking at another set of options. So traditionally I would absolutely follow your logic as listed above, but in this situation I've already surpassed the amount of which the vehicle is worth.

So let me pose you a new set of options for you, if you have 20k to spend would you:

A) Spend it on a new car with a warranty to be on the safe side and put the shell of an M Coupe away somewhere in storage to deal with later
B) Sell the rolling shell M Coupe for as much as you can whatever the cost just to get away from it
C) Fix the remainder of a car you've already invested too much money into, but you still love it and would probably prefer to drive over many of the new cars produced today.

The value is long gone, that's the sad part about a lot of this thread. In trying to do the right thing, it seems it never works out. I wonder if it's better to try one more time for the car that I would prefer to drive or if I should finally toss in the towel and make something more of this car another day. Or just sell the thing and leave everything behind me. Emotionally I know what I would want to do, logically I don't think it's the right move. Financially, I just become apathetic as I know I'm going to spend money one way or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
This story just seems to get worse, I'm so sorry for all you've gone through Arsonism. To think all of this started just because you took the step of doing preventative maintenance on the rod bearings. It's unreal.

I don't even know what to tell you. Get the car out of there and get it to a reputable shop and see what they think of the thing is all I can say. Sending the motor off to Lang isn't a bad idea, but that's still another what...$10k at least? I'd certainly want to know what I have in the car right now before I spent anymore money.

Also, let's be honest. We all love our cars of course and I personally will drive mine until it completely falls apart, but if you're talking big money here I think that money would be better spent on something newer. Another $20-25k would be better spent on something like an M2 for instance, get a nice car with a warranty and be worry free for awhile. That's something you certainly deserve after all this, best of luck to you.

What/who/where do you think is the best way of getting the vehicle assessed? This is a lot of what I'm considering, but the vehicle has to be towed anywhere I wish to move it. I'm in Texas but honestly I don't know who to trust. Many times I don't trust dealers with large jobs, because a lot of times their technicians aren't always trained the way they ought to be and troubleshooting doesn't seem to be their forte.

I believe that you're right there, to invest the money forward and put this to the side. I used to invest a lot of time in studying the new vehicles that release but I've become discouraged as of late. I ought to get back into it. Maybe there's something out there that resembles the Shoe like the Ferrari FF that I've missed :.

Oh and as promised, the bike.

Bike 1 by Shane

Bike 2 by Shane

Bike 3 by Shane

Last edited by Arsonism; 07-14-2017 at 07:50 PM..
Appreciate 2
NickyC17461.50
Vanne1620.50
      07-14-2017, 08:31 PM   #335
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Seems like a nightmare from which one cannot awaken. I won't dwell there, it isn't constructive.

My two cents:

Having a Z4M: For 20K you can just about buy a used Z4M. Maybe off by 5K, maybe 10K, but a well maintained one (heck, one with new rod bearings even) isn't going to be much more than 25k. And it's a literal turn key solution.

Engine: I'd consider the engine a total loss at this point. Maybe ok, maybe not, consider it gone.

My Preferred Option: Try to sell it "as is". Someone might want to put an S65 in it, a rocket motor, or a track toy engine. Recoup what you can. If you have a trusted party who can keep the car and deal with the transaction while you're deployed, this is a good option I think.

Part It Out: Tons of details, time, and headaches. It's only viable if you can DIY or have a shop and time to manage on selling piece by piece. That isn't going to be logistically possible for you at this point. We are back to sell as is.

New Engine: If you drop 10K into another engine, well, is three (or is it four) the charm? I'm not sure there's shop you can trust for the install and tuning. And then you're trying to manage this while deployed, car sits a year.

Thought Process: If you can recoup 10K, that plus the 20K get you into a used and well maintained Z4M when you're back from deployment. Or, that goes to putting a nice down payment on something much newer with a CPO warranty--maybe a flat 6 something or a V8 something.

Other Factors: Note that all of the above doesn't consider emotional attachments or sunk time/effort/dollars/emotion with the current car. On the other hand, it does let you end the final chapter of this horror novel, close it, and move on. That might be healthy. Only you can weigh and decide.

Last edited by Finnegan; 07-14-2017 at 09:42 PM..
Appreciate 2
Arsonism158.00
Vanne1620.50
      07-14-2017, 10:44 PM   #336
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post

Or, that goes to putting a nice down payment on something much newer with a CPO warranty--maybe a flat 6 something or a V8 something.
The factor that's missed here and the other poster's suggestion of an M2 is depreciation. If you put $20K down on a new M2 all of that is gone by the end of the first year, so you're no better off than putting $20K into fixing the existing Z4MC. You're not getting it back out of either of them.

You can reduce the depreciation hit by going backwards in time to CPO cars with a few years on them, but frankly the cars in the period between the Z4MC and the M2 won't be nearly as rewarding unless you can find a 1M and they're rare and expensive.

Looking at cars from a value vs. resale value (or for any other item that depreciates for that matter) isn't really the best way to look at it. Cost per unit of usage is really the measure to use and it can be less expensive per year to put more money into a car than it's worth than the operating expense and depreciation loss of something newer.

With this in mind your best approach might be dump it for whatever you can get out of it before you deploy and park the money while you're gone or second best to find the cheapest storage you can and park it until you return from your deployment and then get out of it what you can. You certainly don't want to buy something and incur the cost of it being stored for a year with no use because you can't get any more expensive than that. Any figure divided by zero (as in usage) is infinity.

Last edited by dc_wright; 07-14-2017 at 10:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
Finnegan701.00
      07-15-2017, 03:26 AM   #337
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The factor that's missed here and the other poster's suggestion of an M2 is depreciation. If you put $20K down on a new M2 all of that is gone by the end of the first year, so you're no better off than putting $20K into fixing the existing Z4MC. You're not getting it back out of either of them.

You can reduce the depreciation hit by going backwards in time to CPO cars with a few years on them, but frankly the cars in the period between the Z4MC and the M2 won't be nearly as rewarding unless you can find a 1M and they're rare and expensive.

Looking at cars from a value vs. resale value (or for any other item that depreciates for that matter) isn't really the best way to look at it. Cost per unit of usage is really the measure to use and it can be less expensive per year to put more money into a car than it's worth than the operating expense and depreciation loss of something newer.

With this in mind your best approach might be dump it for whatever you can get out of it before you deploy and park the money while you're gone or second best to find the cheapest storage you can and park it until you return from your deployment and then get out of it what you can. You certainly don't want to buy something and incur the cost of it being stored for a year with no use because you can't get any more expensive than that. Any figure divided by zero (as in usage) is infinity.
Very good points. Even parking the money in a conservative investment vehicle is going to yield some return. Storing the car, running or not (or new) also requires insurance, so there's that cost as well.

Where I live fire is a constant threat, so even a project car needs some level of protection via some insurance coverage type. As we know from this thread, s*** happens, and it's best to plan for s*** to happen.
Appreciate 1
Vanne1620.50
      07-15-2017, 11:28 AM   #338
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Gday Shane,

Far out mate.. I was hoping for better news..
I guess the boys have all pretty much said what are best out of a dire situation options and i am really sorry it had come to this.

What would I do in your situation?

To be honest mate, i don't know. I can see there is a lot of emotional attachment AND stress attached to this car. Ive read through the thread a few times now, and even at this stage where we are at now is that its not clear on what the actual problem was at the beginning and now even after this rebuild its even more foggy.

So really, we are no further than we were at the beginning of the thread, albeit a lot of cash and heartache has been spent.

Gonna sleep on this tonight. Sorry about what you went through mate.

V.
Finnegan701.00
      07-16-2017, 08:43 PM   #339
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

My 2 cents. Worth about as much.

Keep the zed through your deployment. GET IT AWAY FROM THOSE FUCKERS and find a safe place to store it. Even in its current condition it will likely be worth more when you get back than it is now. Plus you'll have time to find and consider options. For example, a wrecked Z4M might come along.

Buy a daily driver. An old Honda, Tacoma, whatever, something that easily fits the budget, that you don't have to think about, and that you can rely on.

When you get back from deployment go take a look at your coupe. Your head will be in a different place than it is now, and your decision will likely be one that is more attuned to your needs at the time.

One final wild-ass thought: race car!
Appreciate 1
Arsonism158.00
      07-17-2017, 05:45 PM   #340
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post

Keep the zed through your deployment. GET IT AWAY FROM THOSE FUCKERS and find a safe place to store it. Even in its current condition it will likely be worth more when you get back than it is now. Plus you'll have time to find and consider options. For example, a wrecked Z4M might come along.

Buy a daily driver. An old Honda, Tacoma, whatever, something that easily fits the budget, that you don't have to think about, and that you can rely on.

When you get back from deployment go take a look at your coupe. Your head will be in a different place than it is now, and your decision will likely be one that is more attuned to your needs at the time.

Good and viable options. I'm going to repeat my "if you store" requirement of some kind of insurance coverage for theft, file, satellites failing from orbit, etc. That removes any potential worries too.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 07:15 PM   #341
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

Quote:
Seems like a nightmare from which one cannot awaken. I won't dwell there, it isn't constructive.

My two cents:

Having a Z4M: For 20K you can just about buy a used Z4M. Maybe off by 5K, maybe 10K, but a well maintained one (heck, one with new rod bearings even) isn't going to be much more than 25k. And it's a literal turn key solution.

Engine: I'd consider the engine a total loss at this point. Maybe ok, maybe not, consider it gone.

My Preferred Option: Try to sell it "as is". Someone might want to put an S65 in it, a rocket motor, or a track toy engine. Recoup what you can. If you have a trusted party who can keep the car and deal with the transaction while you're deployed, this is a good option I think.

Part It Out: Tons of details, time, and headaches. It's only viable if you can DIY or have a shop and time to manage on selling piece by piece. That isn't going to be logistically possible for you at this point. We are back to sell as is.

New Engine: If you drop 10K into another engine, well, is three (or is it four) the charm? I'm not sure there's shop you can trust for the install and tuning. And then you're trying to manage this while deployed, car sits a year.

Thought Process: If you can recoup 10K, that plus the 20K get you into a used and well maintained Z4M when you're back from deployment. Or, that goes to putting a nice down payment on something much newer with a CPO warranty--maybe a flat 6 something or a V8 something.

Other Factors: Note that all of the above doesn't consider emotional attachments or sunk time/effort/dollars/emotion with the current car. On the other hand, it does let you end the final chapter of this horror novel, close it, and move on. That might be healthy. Only you can weigh and decide.

All extremely valid points and I appreciate you taking the time to list these.

It would be the third motor (or third attempt) however you'd like to look at it going back into the situation. It would be nice to bring an end to the concerns there, but the major component that holds me back from doing that is that the car has a perfect rolling chassis at this point. Everything has been redone with the exception of maybe some sitting rubber on the tires. She's just missing her heart.

Some part of me wants to get the motor evaluated. Somehow some way, I really want to see what all is wrong with it. I just don't want to spend the money. I think it's best to write it off, but I just kind of want to figure what exactly is left of it. Not sure if I would salvage or sell any part of that unless a mechanic was truly interested and they knew what they were getting into.

If I sold the car as is, what would you think it's worth? I know what I've put into the motor alone, and if I took that out of the scenario then there might not be much to truly salvage out of it. I wonder how much this would cost someone in work, and with that said, is that the amount you'd have to deduct in order to reach a reasonable price for the vehicle? This is a difficult question I would need help answering and that number figure would also change the outcome quite significantly as well. I think for the right number and not having to store the vehicle I'd sell it, I just would want it to be fair to both parties. (so uh... bring-a-trailer? )

Buying a new motor when I get back is an option, I don't know what kind of connection I'll have with the vehicle at that time. By that point I wont have driven an M Coupe for 3 years. Over half of the time that I've had this vehicle in my name... scary. Either way, I think that to buy this motor when I come back would mean a polished product that would beat anything that I would invest 10-20k into in regards to a new car.

My concerns with buying a new car, as of right now at least, is that none of them truly interest me. I haven't found a car that has brought excitement to me when I speak about it like the M Coupe has. As I've said before and in this thread, this was my super car... I really wanted nothing else when I bought it and I knew what I was getting into when I did purchase it. Most cars today aren't analog, they don't have as much power, they're heavier and bulkier, and generally all around under-powered. I understand that the M Coupe doesn't have the most power out of the BMW line up, but in terms of what you pay for horsepower per dollar for an S54 it's pretty high up there. Either way, bottom line is that I'm not sure it would be worth investing 10-20k into something I don't necessarily enjoy outside of a commuter car, but then I ask myself why I'm buying that in the first place. :

I suppose that's where those emotions hit me hard, but then again that's not for this car specifically... that's just for the M Coupe as a car from the furthest distance. Any M Coupe could bring that happiness to me. I'd just end up modifying it again with mostly cosmetic stuff like the last time

I kind of relate it to buying scopes for rifles. I don't know why anyone would spend $300 on a scope when they're building a $1,000-3,000 rifle. If the rifle can outperform the glass then you don't need to build that kind of rifle. If you can't afford the glass then you shouldn't be building the rifle at all. Essentially if you throw the cheap glass on there, you'll end up being able to see out to around 500m when the rifle can reach out to 1000m and beyond. You're literally setting your sights too low and short changing yourself in the most important place which you could invest your money.
Analogy Translation (?): If you have a honda civic, why would you throw an LS7 in there. Or an S54? Especially if you hate the body of the car.

I have a hard time justifying buying something I'm just simply not going to enjoy for the utility factor of it. If you have half of the puzzle, why not invest in completing it? I already have the scope, should I rebuild the rifle?

Those are the questions I continually ask myself. And then I ask myself immediately afterwards... will I ever learn my lesson? Probably not

So is it safer to buy a new M Coupe with the sale of this one? I'll have to rent a storage unit either way, it's about $50 monthly increase to the unit itself to store the M Coupe currently. I have insurance on it because I still owe on the car (not much, it's good debt so I keep it around, I don't owe much else anywhere). I wonder if jumping into unknown territory and or having to seek out another M Coupe will prove more challenging a year from now. Then again, I always liked Alpineweiss.

Quote:

I most certainly view cars the same way that you have portrayed them here. There isn't much to gain from a vehicle other than personal entertainment and utility. If you can combine both of those for the cost that you expect to pay for a vehicle regardless, then I feel you've beat out the math.

I should make it clear that I wont need a vehicle before I deploy. I have struggled for the last five months without one, I most certainly can get around for the next two before leaving for good. It would be nice to kill the insurance before I left, but that would only save me about a $600 before all is said and done (it's a pretty low rate).

Depreciation isn't the greatest of concern, finding another vehicle however is. There may be something to the new M cars that I have overlooked but in-so-far they truly haven't impressed me much. I have faith that they'll turn around a bit, but I don't know where they'll end up in the next year. As stated at length above, I think the end result still remains with an M Coupe, it may just be how to go about getting back into a running one. If there are comparable options out there to the M Coupe, I'd love to know them... but to my knowledge (which is pretty extensive, however not all inclusive) there really isn't one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
Gday Shane,

Far out mate.. I was hoping for better news..
I guess the boys have all pretty much said what are best out of a dire situation options and i am really sorry it had come to this.

What would I do in your situation?

To be honest mate, i don't know. I can see there is a lot of emotional attachment AND stress attached to this car. Ive read through the thread a few times now, and even at this stage where we are at now is that its not clear on what the actual problem was at the beginning and now even after this rebuild its even more foggy.

So really, we are no further than we were at the beginning of the thread, albeit a lot of cash and heartache has been spent.

Gonna sleep on this tonight. Sorry about what you went through mate.

V.
I still want to hear your thoughts here bud let me know when you shake that last cold one off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post

The only problem with a race car is simply that I would rarely want to pay to go drive the car at a track. I mean if it's a "Mexico" style race car, sure why the hell not. However that's gonna be a lot more money haha. I think down the road the sustain game is really what I wanted to play. This would be that mustang everyone held onto for me. Just one of those cars you have a really hard time letting go because it's so special. I mean 1:1,850 (approx.) for the states?! Man...

The car will leave their establishment sometime this week or next week. I'm working on the storage side of things and where to move it. That's the first step and then it will be towed away and back in my possession simply because I'm concerned what will happen to it if I'm not around to manage things (and it's already paid for, the repair bill anyways).

Quote:
Good and viable options. I'm going to repeat my "if you store" requirement of some kind of insurance coverage for theft, file, satellites failing from orbit, etc. That removes any potential worries too.
The car and bike will both be insured with some form of renters insurance if I can swing it for the storage unit. This will all be in place before I go and as I set up this storage unit. I've seen too many threads of random fires and vacation homes eating up cars here and there. I'd hate for that to be the end of this particular car as well.

----------------------------

I've delivered some counter points, I probably didn't address everything. I really do appreciate everyone chiming in on this and all those who are reading and probably thinking deeper for some options that we might have forgotten. I'm open to anything and really I'm doing my best to try and let logic take the wheel on this one. It has proved difficult though, especially after I went to see the car the other day, just to make sure it was still where we thought it was (yeah I had no idea where they had been keeping it).

As always, thanks for the support guys, you've been an anchor for me through this whole thing. I'm really not sure what I'd do without this community.
      07-18-2017, 05:27 AM   #342
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
As always, thanks for the support guys, you've been an anchor for me through this whole thing. I'm really not sure what I'd do without this community.
Group hug!
Appreciate 1
Arsonism158.00
      07-19-2017, 02:51 PM   #343
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Damn, just spent last night and this morning reading this thread for the first time. I went on a roller coaster of emotion on your behalf. I obviously have formed an opinion on what you "should" have done, but I'm sure you've had the same opinion at some point or even now, and it's not going to add any constructive value to second guess past decisions or have an outsider such as myself do that for you, so I'll focus on the now/future. Here is my 2 cents on what you should do:

Throw up a sale ad on here/Craigslist/wherever you feel comfortable for a purchase as is for a price you would be comfortable with. This is to just get out of the financial liability while you are away. However, chances are that it won't sell in 1-2 weeks, so this isn't a real option anyway (or maybe you don't want to do it), so onto the more realistic approach in which you keep and store the car while you are deployed, and then come back:

Buy a cheap, reliable daily driver. Think Japanese, old, and boring. This is to tide you over so you aren't in a rush to do anything. I see 4 options after that:

1. Sell rolling chassis as is (see above, but now you have as long as it takes) and buy another M coupe. Keep DD so you have options in the future for big repairs, etc.

2. Sell rolling chassis as is and buy a new(er) car. If the car is more on the reliable side, sell DD.

3. Have Andrew Lang crate ship you a prepped and ready to drop in motor for the Z4M (built to whatever specs you feel comfortable with). Drop the motor in yourself as a learning opportunity. Part out the shoddy motor in place (yourself) to recoup some money. You will be doing inspections of each component because you are a stand up guy and won't want to sell bad parts, and it may lead to that closure you want of determining the root cause of the ongoing issue. Keep DD so you have options in the future for big repairs, etc.
* This option assumes you have the desire to do your own work, the desire to get your hands dirty and learn, as well as the space, etc.

4.) Same as #3, but then you sell the repaired M coupe and buy a new(er) car. If the car is more on the reliable side, sell DD.

5.) Fix existing engine in car - I would not consider this an option.

I would personally do option number 1.

I'm unclear though, it sounds like the car is maybe drive able (if you baby it)? Might help with the towing, etc. I guess I wouldn't worry too much about really screwing the engine up, as I agree with what someone said above - I would consider the engine in the car non-functional.

Also, wanted to extend my regret and sorrow for what you've had to deal with. It's truly heartbreaking. Good luck with the deployment, and whatever you decide is best with the car.

Last edited by Reborn_; 07-19-2017 at 02:58 PM..
Appreciate 2
Finnegan701.00
Arsonism158.00
      07-20-2017, 12:00 AM   #344
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Just thinking about the Andrew Lang thing.. Would it be possible at all to pull the engine and ship that off to Lang? Maybe as a show of ... fellow enthusiasm, he will do you a good deal? and i know for sure as heck we are all hanging to actually find out whats wrong with this engine..

The forum hype alone over this thread might be of some good advertisement for them?

The other plus point on this is that if Lang DO fix the current engine, and determine the root cause of the problem, then you'll have some legs to stick it to whomever bodged up the repair in the first place and hopefully recoup some of your lost funds.

I for one would LOVE to find out what on EARTH actually happened here over the last year or so. Anyways, just a thought.

Deployment will go fast while you are there, you will be back before you know with your loved ones.
Still in awe about where we actually are now in this thread.

Nice bike btw.